PL: Arsenal a Match Thread 2009/12/27 13:30

limpid

Would obviously like to avoid defeat on this one, but sadly I can see our first defeat at The Emirates on Sunday.

Arsenal seem to be playing very well at the moment - I'm not saying we are playing bad, but it was certainly squeeky bum time for the last 10 minutes against Stoke. We certainly couldn't afford Arsenal that many chances without them punishing us.

As daft as it sounds, I would take the loss as long as we bear Liverpool 2 days afterwards - Needless to say I'll prefer two wins, but you have to remember that Santa wears red and white for a reason !!!

Prediction - 2 - 0 Arsenal win !

Well I think we'll nick a point, either that or a loss. I just cannot see us winning the game

As for the liverpool game well we always struggle against lesser teams so we may struggle in that game against mid table opposition

only for about an hour though until Man utd win lol. If we lose and Spurs also win, it wouldnt be looking good and if confidence dropped a little and pool beat us, things would suddenly be looking pretty shit and we wouldnt be the media darlings anymore..it would be passed over to spuds. Two of the biggest games this season.

only for about an hour though until Man utd win lol. If we lose and Spurs also win, it wouldnt be looking good and if confidence dropped a little and pool beat us, things would suddenly be looking pretty shit and we wouldnt be the media darlings anymore..it would be passed over to spuds. Two of the biggest games this season.
Spurs are already the media darlings

Sunday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday... I can understand the conservative tacticians thinking we could rest somebody on Sunday and put the best team out on Tuesday. But I don't think that's normally MON's style (last year in Moscow as a notable exception) and I like the "go for it every game" approach.

I think we'll put our best team out Sunday, after that, you rest the injured, the suspended, and whoever says "I'm not ready to go another 90," on Tuesday.

I can understand the argumenet to be tactical about it, but I also like the tactical advantage of a positive attitude...."we put our best availabe team out at every match." That in itself is a positive statement and creates a mental advantage.

For Arsenal to be challenging for the title they need to win this match and we are a powerful team that they usually struggle with (when they are not firing on all cylinders) I watched them against Hull and they struggled, despite the scoreline. I think we will win this one 3-1, unless they get a major break with a poor decision or two thrown in (highly possible with the way Arsenal cheat)

Even if we lose both of these matches its not the end of the world, or our challenge on the top 4. We should all learn the lesson from last season, there will be many turns before the season ends, some good and some bad. UTV

TrentVilla & Tinker:

I really think we go for this, the difference this season is not such a difference, Arsenal IMO were shown to be flawed and i thought Burnley looked the better side, got after them, didn't give them an inch, if Burnley can do that then Villa can do a lot more, this is the Villa have arrived media, get used to it period, personally I'm looking for 6 points and no less.

We are capable of going down there and taking them on I don't doubt that what worries me is how capable we are of taking them on and then taking Liverpool on with just one days rest.

My view is that taking the 3 points from Liverpool would be more valuable than taking them from Arsenal but that is just my personal opinion obviously I'd love the 6 points but I just think that is highly unlikely.

Liverpool have an easier game on Boxing day and an extra days rest ahead of the match at Villa Park which they will be seriously motivated to get a result from if they are serious about getting their season back on course and getting back in the top 4.

I thought we looked jaded at times against Stoke and I don't want to see the same against Liverpool and allow them back into the race.

We are capable of going down there and taking them on I don't doubt that what worries me is how capable we are of taking them on and then taking Liverpool on with just one days rest.

My view is that taking the 3 points from Liverpool would be more valuable than taking them from Arsenal but that is just my personal opinion obviously I'd love the 6 points but I just think that is highly unlikely.

Liverpool have an easier game on Boxing day and an extra days rest ahead of the match at Villa Park which they will be seriously motivated to get a result from if they are serious about getting their season back on course and getting back in the top 4.

I thought we looked jaded at times against Stoke and I don't want to see the same against Liverpool and allow them back into the race.

I just get the hunch that Villa are now starting to pace themselves in accordance with who they are facing, granted it could look very much like fatigue, and may be just that, also being able to take your foot of the gas and still win is something that you would previously associate with top 4 sides, couldn't help notice that for example Gabby hardly figured v Sunderland and Stoke, and yet IMO he was immense v Man Utd, I would be delighted with 4 points, pleased with even 3, I honestly think we have both strength and dexterity across the whole side, think that Dunne is relishing his importance to Villa having been terribly dumped by City, Milner is strong as an Ox and i think Gabby now has learned to pace himself for the big games and across the season i hope. I think we are looking good IMO still on for the full 6 points.

I have just been reading Arsenal Mania forums and at the start they were worried about Villa, until their fans realised what they were doing and realised we arn't a Barcelona! So their latest posts on the Villa game are suddenly 'oh it's only Villa we should win this 10-0' attiude. Well I hope they realise come the end of the match that they realise we're a different Villa as to previous.

I looked at a lot of their fans line-up's and nothing worries me about their team. If we play to our standard we must surely win this. I think the Liverpool game will be much harder, but by then we coud be 11 points ahead of Liverpool.

Yeah the Arsenal mania lot, are calling us over confident now. I don't see how though...we know that they are the better team on the whole, because they have always been in the top 4 but we are on some good form at the moment. What they forget is that we are not the same outfit as last season. They think we are still one dimensional like last year. They obviously have not seen that Milner is now in the middle and playing fantastic (see his 30 yard cracker the other week), they obviously forgot that we now have Downing on one wing with Young still on the other, they have forgot how strong our defense is looking at the moment.....Let them think we are one dimensional and over-confident. The onus is on them..they want the title, they are the "top 4 team" so they should be beating us at the Emirates!! I think after all of this commotion it will finish 1 - 1 and at the end of the season they will finish 3rd with us in 4th and they still won't show us the respect i think we deserve. To them we will still be "just midtable Aston Villa". Of course we are...thats why we are sat in 4th AGAIN. Hello Arsenal-mania (waves)