PL: Arsenal a Match Thread 2009/12/27 13:30

limpid

It was obviously crazy for me to think that, as you have to go on and on about it for some reason IMO!

Only person going on and on Jez is you all I'm interested in is if Arsenal's best player will be fit to play against us.

:lol:

Brilliant.

Wait and see IMO.

Arsenal fans opinions:

Have a really bad feeling about this one.

Exactly the kind of team and style of football we will struggle against.

We will really need to be on top of our game to get anything against them.

They will come here and attack and i can see us struggling. I hope we are well organized and compact.

This is THE team at the moment. They are high on confidence against the so called big 4 and will come to the Emirates convinced that they can take all three points.

Their defence is currently the best in the league so they will definitely be able to break our game down in preventing us from penetrating with our passing. Also if they go down I dont see them changing their tactics and opening the game up. Looking at the Hull game this bodes badly for us because once we are closed down we are useless.

Shava, Cesc, Edu and Diaby in a forward role is key to this game to get the three points. A positive for us is that we go into the game with confidence off the Hull and Pool games and have the likes of Cesc coming back.

We need two clear goals to win this one. Although Im not expecting a win here looking at the Hull game.

Aston Villa ain't Hull City... I'm not too confident without Cesc.

Villa are the stuff nightmares are made of for us and we could be in for a horror show if we aren't up for it physically and mentally. Definitely need Fabregas back for this one.

Arsenal opinion:

Hard to see us winning this one with the injuries we have.

Villa have an excellent goalkeeper, very strong defence, decent midfield and a penetrative attack. They love to run men out wide and get crosses in the box, precisely the kind of thing we are not very good at dealing with.

Aerially they will slaughter us, defensively they are superior and their goalkeeper is a monster compared to what we have. Their team is stronger than ours, likely to work harder than ours and their tactics are very well suited towards nullifying our own.

I want a win of course, but I think we might have to settle for a draw and be grateful.

ARSENAL FAN

Though everybody's aware of the new strange, open title race this year, and much emphasis on consistency as central, no one dared yet to speak of villa as contenders. And though pool (surely!) are out of the top 4, villa were not even recognized as the official new big 4 member. With wins at old T and pool, and consistency (they were big winners of "Miracle weekend" results just like us - maybe more, considering they won at old T - and their current results are ominous) they surely merit the latter at least. If they (god forbid) win here, it would be hard to deny they are serious contenders.

Looking forward to this, will be in attendance for this game in the home end just like the previous two games we've played there in which we've been superb. Certainly a stadium the team feels comfortable at.

I would go 4-5-1 for this as I'm looking ahead to the Liverpool game a bit. If Heskey's injured, then we're left with two strikers in Gabby and JC. Gabby (and Young) are on 4 yellows and so would miss the Liverpool game if booked. Also if Carew picks up any sort of knock then he'll struggle to make the Liverpool game which would leave us with hardly any attacking players for Liverpool and we don't want that. So I'd save Carew for Liverpool and bring in NRC to strengthen the centre of midfield as even though they have a few strikers out, Arsenal are still very strong in midfield.

I think Arsenal might nick this 2-1 as we are due a defeat at the emirates one of these years...

Arsenal fan:

That's where you are wrong, individually our individuals may be more talented but in terms of team strength I do think they are slightly stronger, they have the ability if needed to go toe to toe with big physical teams like Stoke and Chelsea or straight up play football with the likes of us. Their defence is arguably stronger, their set pieces are stronger and they now have the capability to seriously f**k us up on the counter..and they're better than last year when they ripped us to shreds.

Can't help but feel that despite our good results of late, lots of people are massively underestimating going away to a team that are effectively seond in the league, knowing they can't afford to lose more games and have world-class players to make the likes of dunne and carlos look silly. Like Fabregas, Arshavin, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm ready to face our first defeat in a while.

You can't win them all, and I fear this will be one match too far for us.

Can't help but feel that despite our good results of late, lots of people are massively underestimating going away to a team that are effectively seond in the league, knowing they can't afford to lose more games and have world-class players to make the likes of dunne and carlos look silly. Like Fabregas, Arshavin, etc.

There is no doubt this is a very very hard game. Arsenal will certainly be taking us seriously after our results against Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelski and even with injuries they are a great team.

But on the other hand, why shouldn't we be optimistic? We've shown we can win anywhere, we haven't lost in our last 6 (I think) and it's been 373 minutes since we conceeded a goal.

To be honest I'd gladly take a draw, but I said the same against Man Utd so what do I know!

Anyone in the mood for a hilarious arse comment?

That's the thing, Villa's system doesn't expose their defenders much. If Dunne was at City now, I'm guessing he might be as bad as he was there last season.

In general though, they seem really concerned about this match (as they should be) and they think they will struggle against our attacking style.

Hard to see us winning this one with the injuries we have.

Villa have an excellent goalkeeper, very strong defence, decent midfield and a penetrative attack. They love to run men out wide and get crosses in the box, precisely the kind of thing we are not very good at dealing with.

Aerially they will slaughter us, defensively they are superior and their goalkeeper is a monster compared to what we have. Their team is stronger than ours, likely to work harder than ours and their tactics are very well suited towards nullifying our own.

I want a win of course, but I think we might have to settle for a draw and be grateful.

The only way we have a chance in this game is if our defensive players are switched on, our goalkeeper plays well and our entire team works extremely hard and puts the effort in. Given their recent effort I'm not holding out any hope.

Pretty much all of them agree that they need Fabregas back for this game.

Fingers crossed he won't make it...but if he did I think even he would struggle against our defense/midfield right now.

*edit* Oh dear, I see the same arse quote was posted above...may take time to read the thread first next time....

that's about where I am. A point would be terrific and a bonus for me.