Best CB pairing in the last decade ...

Alpaywasawesome

Best Villa CB pairing in the last decade?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Best Villa CB pairing in the last decade?

• Mellberg/Alpay
    • Mellberg/Laursen
    • Laursen/Davies
    • Dunne/Collins
    • Dunne/Cuellar

Just a bit of fun, of all our CB pairings in the last 10 years, which one do you think was the best?

I know there were a lot more CB pairings like Ridgewell/Mellberg and others, if you feel it should be in the poll then I'll edit it.

Anyway I'm stuck between Laursen/Mellberg and Alpay/Mellberg.

I really like Dunne and Collins as a partnership, but it's still early days, and they haven't played much together since Cuellar gained a CB spot.

EDIT: Oh it appears I can't edit a poll once someone has voted. Sigh. I forgot about Ugo/Southgate and I can't change it now.

I find it strange that Dunne/Collins can get a vote. Yes they look good together, but they haven't played together for long enough to be considered surely?

That's why I didn't vote for them, I eventually cast my vote with Mellberg/Alpay as well, I think it just shades Mellberg/Laursen.

How about Ugo and Southgate? What do people think of them?

I find it strange that Dunne/Collins can get a vote. Yes they look good together, but they haven't played together for long enough to be considered surely?

I bet they've played more games together than Laursen and Mellberg!

I bet they've played more games together than Laursen and Mellberg!

Actually, no, didn't Laursen and Mellberg get a long run of game in the centre, if I recall it was during Angel's last season with us.

By my calculation, the Mellberg/Laursen CB partnership achieved as follows (in games where both started at CB only)

2004/5

Lge Pl6 W3 D1 L2 F8-6A

2005/6

Lge Pl1 W0 D1 L0 F2-2A

2006/7

Lge Pl10 W5 D5 L0 F17-7A

LC Pl1 W0 D0 L1 F0-4A

2007/8

Lge Pl4 W1 D1 L2 F3-7A

Hardly Hall of Fame stuff, is it? Their best spell was in the last 7 games of the 06/07 season when we were unbeaten and eased into a finish at 11th.

I think this poll is a bit eccentric. Why no mention of Ridgewell, Zatty K, or, surely most oddly, Sir Gary Cahill of Villatalk?

Also, wasn't there recently a poll for best of the decade for every position, which came up with a CB pairing (can't remember what it was)?

Mellberg/Johnsen was actually a decent partnership complimented by Dion as back-up.

No option of Cahill/Ridgewell or the awful JLS/Ridgewell partnership i saw for one game cant remember which game.

Thinks that was qpr in the league cup.

How Dunne/Collins or Dunne/Cuellar can be considered after only 5 or so months is daft.

Laursen/Mellberg only played 21 games together.

Davies and Laursen I'm guessing wouldn't of played much more than 25 games together, as Davies played from January to April in his first season before being injured and then him and Laursen played until December before Laursen was out with injuries.

So really then the only proper nomination is Alpay and Mellberg?

How Dunne/Collins or Dunne/Cuellar can be considered after only 5 or so months is daft.

Laursen/Mellberg only played 21 games together.

Davies and Laursen I'm guessing wouldn't of played much more than 25 games together, as Davies played from January to April in his first season before being injured and then him and Laursen played until December before Laursen was out with injuries.

So really then the only proper nomination is Alpay and Mellberg?

Possibly yes.

Surely the quality of any partnership can be only judged over a period of time. Or because for example 2 players keep 4 clean sheets in a row, we all decide there the best; they then go and let in a goal a game for 10 games after then they are clearly not all that.

In the same regard when Gabby did naff all for months everyone was say he was still quality. We dont decide over a short period of time how good or bad people are i thought.

Â