PL: Stoke h Match Thread 2009/12/19 15:00

limpid

the result distorted what had largelly been a decent performance

Actually it was a really great performance until the last few minutes.

Especially the 1st half, as i remember it they hardly touched the ball!

Think we should really show ourselves in this, a really brilliant performance is required, sweep Stoke aside, a masterclass in good footy, put us right for some difficult games coming up, keep us placed at the top.

I want a great performance from Gabby. Please

I want a brilliant performance from Ash. Please.

I want an awesome display from Downing. Please.

Dunne...................................................Please.

And the rest of the lads. big please.

And of course Milner, what can you say you certainly don't have to ask, you know that another Gerard like performance is on the cards, no problem. what am i talking about, he's better than Gerard. sorry about that.

Fair play to Pulis, some good comments:

PULIS WARY OF `QUALITY` VILLA

Posted 18/12/09 13:17

Stoke manager Tony Pulis does not expect Aston Villa to make the same mistake they did last season when last-minute goals in their two encounters cost Martin O'Neill's side vital points.

Mamady Sidibe's late strike gave the Potters a 3-2 win in August 2008 and then Glenn Whelan struck in injury time to earn a 2-2 draw at Villa Park in March.

Those results aided Stoke's survival as much as it dented Villa's hopes of challenging for Champions League qualification but Pulis believes his side will face better opponents this time around.

"I hope I am as magnanimous as Martin was after both our games last year," said the Stoke boss, who is an admirer of O'Neill.

"We beat them in the last minute here and scored last minute up there to draw the game.

"That cost them what could have been six points but his demeanour afterwards was absolutely first class - he was a gentleman through and through.

"We did very well last year but they have got a little bit more quality this season.

"This season is not the same situation as they were in last time.

"Then they were in Europe and had lots of games and Martin got caught between what to do and not to do.

"A lot of his players did a lot of travelling but it is completely different this time.

"They are not in Europe, he doesn't have to hold the horses back and he has five players who have opportunities to play for England at the World Cup - what more motivating factors does he need?"

Villa's current form - they have won their last three matches - has catapulted them into fourth place and Pulis insists they have what it takes to finish the season there.

"I really do think Aston Villa, Manchester City or Tottenham could break into it - it all depends on how the second half of the season runs," he said.

"If Man City get their act together they have quality and Tottenham have as well.

"Looking at it this season, I would say the champions will come out of Manchester United or Chelsea and then after that there are five or six other teams who are competing for those places."

That is not the case for 11th-placed Stoke, who Pulis just wants to secure their top-flight future for the second successive season.

"The most important thing for us is staying in the league. I'm not being blase but everyone gets carried away with what we have achieved but we still have to get to 40 points as quickly as possible," he added.

"We have had one year out of 24 in the top flight but Stoke have to stay in the top flight for three years before we can push on.

"No disrespect to us as a football club but Villa are miles ahead of us and we have to accept that and get on with it.

"We go to Man City on Boxing Day and they are miles ahead of us too.

"We are competing with a lot of other clubs working hard to maintain their Premier League status and put a sound footing and then push on from there.

"We haven't got that yet."

F365

It sound like there is a lot of respect from Stoke for us this season!

I would expect them to come to Villa Park defend in numbers, work tirelessly and hit Villa on the counter attack like they did against Spurs away this season!

As against Hull an early goal will be important as then stoke will have to come out and attack early on leaving them prone to the counter attack.

Robert Huth is serving a one match suspension for them he is one of there key defenders so lets hope Heskey and Gabby can take advantage of this!

Heskey Hatrick!