PL: Wigan a Travel & Social

bannedfromHandV

thanks for that, i did get a price for £20 about a week ago, but was trying to sort out blackburn travel, and now i'll probably drive, don't want to loose any cash if it gets called off, coach is probably a better option now, if you dont have to dish out any cash up front.

According to the BBC weather forecast looks like sunny spells from Thursday onwards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3071?count=10&area=Wigan.

Hopefully the game will be on, Milner and Delph will be fully fit and we can get three vital points!

I'm not sure that would help as the maximum temperatures are only 1 degrees celcius so the snow in Wigan wouldn't help

I really hope it's on but I doubt the snow will have cleared enough

This is what it says about the wigan game on the wigan website

ASTON VILLA UPDATE

Posted on: Wed 06 Jan 2010

Wigan Athletic have received numerous calls from supporters asking if the game with Aston Villa is on.

As of today (Wednesday 6th January), the Club fully expect the game with Aston Villa on Saturday 9th January to go ahead as scheduled.

Taking short and long term forecasts into consideration, the Club are doing everything in their power to ensure that the Stadium and immediate surroundings and are confident that the Stadium will be ready in time for the Saturday.

If conditions were to deteriorate and the weather were to threaten the fixture, details will be posted on this website immediately and an email will be sent to everyone on the Wigan Athletic database.

If you are not on the Wigan Athletic database and would like to receive any such emails, please visit www.wiganathletic.com/details.

On the train topic, mine cost £21 but i got them a while ago now

Better not be off, I have had to arrange acceptable train times and prices and taxis for my small Kingstanding travelling army, we will be extremely pissed off if it's postponed.

chelmsley_villan: How many changes does that journey have and does it stop at Stafford because that might be the train we are getting

It has no changes, goes direct, not sure if it goes through stafford though??

I hope the game is on because the tickets i have got are the advanced ones that you cant get a refund on!

The game being on or off is one concern.

My concern is the rail companies are struggling like hell with cancellations and reduced services all over. This includes Virgins route to Wigan and all stations up the Northwest to Cumbria. I booked months ago for 18:50 quid rtn. I am more bothered about getting their with train delays & cancellations if the game is on.

The rest is good for the players but we don't need a fixture pile up and then midweek re arranged games that fans can't get to.

8)

I really fancy this but our weather expert has said that this cold spell will last for 2 weeks so i aint risking buying a ticket in case its called off.

Your ticket would be valid for the re-arranged fixture though, or can you not do mid-week?

The game being on or off is one concern.

My concern is the rail companies are struggling like hell with cancellations and reduced services all over. This includes Virgins route to Wigan and all stations up the Northwest to Cumbria. I booked months ago for 18:50 quid rtn. I am more bothered about getting their with train delays & cancellations if the game is on.

The rest is good for the players but we don't need a fixture pile up and then midweek re arranged games that fans can't get to.

8)

Yer this is another one of my worries if the game goes on, with delays being high, will i actually get there on time. This is when i think i should have saved this hassle and jumped on the coach lol!

Is it Wigan Wallgate train station we want?

If you are coming from Birmingham on the main line, Wigan North western is the West coast main line station stop that carries on to Glasgow.

Wigan Wallgate is more of a connecting station for the north west for links to liverpool & greater manchester areas.

The 2 stations are on opposite sides of the same main road in Wigan so you can't lose your bearings to & from the ground.

Lets hope the trains are okay if the game is on.

Was driving in the Chester area monday and things were okay until monday night when manchester and Lancashire up to Cumbria got battered.

I got travel on trains & tickets for every away game right up to Spurs on 6th of Feb. Any cancellations mean lost train fares and hassle with midweek rearranged games I cannot be sure to make.

The only game I not prepared to book advanced travel is Hull on sat 27th Feb, because of a certain fixture at wembley on sunday the 28th feb that I hope AVFC will taking part in.

8)

There are 2 Stations.

Wallgate and North Western, they're about 50 yards apart across a road. it's about a 15 minute walk to the ground mainly flat and level (100 yards downhill at the start).

However the pavements and side roads aren't being cleared (as yet) so be prepared and unless Wigan have made arrangements themselves the council (rumoured to be nearly out of grit) won't clear the private ground around the stadium or the retail park attached.

I really fancy this but our weather expert has said that this cold spell will last for 2 weeks so i aint risking buying a ticket in case its called off.

Just get the ticket, it will be valid for the replayed game anyway...

Just get the ticket, it will be valid for the replayed game anyway...

Or you get a refund if you can't make it

Looks like its on, this is from the Wigan site :D

ASTON VILLA GAME ON!

Posted on: Thu 07 Jan 2010

Club ensure Villa games goes ahead on Saturday

Wigan Athletic can confirm that Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against Aston Villa at the DW Stadium will take place as scheduled.

Once more, despite a perfect playing surface there had been concerns for the safety of fans following the recent adverse weather conditions, but after an inspection of the stadium and surrounding areas stadium officials have deemed the conditions safe for those attending.

As ever the club do advise supporters to arrive early on the day to ensure safe entry to the stadium, and having done everything in their power to make sure the game takes place would like to announce the following safety notices ahead of Saturday:

Car Park 3, located to the rear of the East Stand will be closed, however existing seasonal permit holders will be able to use Car Park 1, prior to the Soccerdome, as an alternative.

In addition to this the Frith Street entrance to and exit from the car parking facilities, near to the B&Q store, will remained closed throughout the day.

Finally, Robin Park Arena car park used by Wigan Athletic disabled supporters will not be stewarded for this game and fans are therefore advised to find an alternative location to park their cars and avoid the dangerous conditions.

Football Secretary Stuart Hayton said, the Stadium Manager and his team have worked tirelessly to get the surroundings in a fit state for Saturday and I really can't stress enough how committed they have been to their task. Only freak weather between now and Saturday can prevent this game from going ahead and that is a tribute to how hard they have all worked.

Just seen on SSN they were going round the prem grounds speaking of the conditions. All games seem to be on as it stands - but for the Wigan game they stated that the pitch is fine (Wigan are having to train on it as their training ground ) but access to the surrounding areas remains a concern.