PL: Sunderland a Match Thread 2009/12/15 19:45

limpid

These are the games in my opinion that define us as a top six team, rather than a top four team.

We all know that on our day, we can beat anyone in this league, but it's the consistency against the smaller teams (no disrespect to Sunderland) and that know-how in terms of grinding out results that we still need to work on.

This, for me, is the type of match that will determine where we finish at the end of the season. After we played out of our skins to beat Chelsea at home, we then played awfuly in a midlands derby and were very lucky to grab a point.

A win tomorrow, and we go into our home game with Stoke with the whole place buzzing from the last two results. An off day tomorrow and like people have mentioned that momentum will have taken a battering and put more pressure on us in the Stoke game.

If we turn up, keep focused and play well like we are doing more regularly at the moment, then we have a great chance of winning. I just hope they will all take the confidence from Saturday into the game, without being complacent.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry how much the second half particularly has taken out of us, as saturday evening to tuesday evening isn't that long a recovery and Sunderland with Jones and Bent upfront will be putting us under a lot of pressure.

But their defence isn't good against pace and both their full backs are poor so expect us to create a few chances.

These are the games in my opinion that define us as a top six team, rather than a top four team.

We all know that on our day, we can beat anyone in this league, but it's the consistency against the smaller teams (no disrespect to Sunderland) and that know-how in terms of grinding out results that we still need to work on.

I agree, exactly my thoughts ATM (wouldn't say smaller though, just not as ready to challenge).

IMO, to get over this we need to go at Sunderland with all guns blazing right from the first second. If we sit back and try and boss the game and sneak a win, we will, IMO, fail. As we did last season in similar games.

The Sunderland players and their fans will be dreading our arrival, but if we start slowly and give them a little bit of hope, they will up their game, their fans will get behind them and they will be very hard to beat or even draw with. If we go for them and create chances, they will start to retreat and the old doubts will set in, then the game is ours.

Please Villa, go there and go for their throat as quickly as possible. 4-0 to the Villa, with Downing to score. :twisted:

Ps Didn't MON support Sunderland as a child?

Realistically Liverpool and Arsenal have already lost to Sunderland away this season so that sures how strong they are at home. They havent the greatest defence in the world though so imagine we will create a few chances and wouldnt be surprised to see the likes of Milner on the scoresheet again up there this season. I think momentum plays a major part and we surely have it goin up there after Sat games. Need another backs to wall effort but can see us scoring so goin for 0-1 to the villa.

Don't think we are in for a classic though !

I think this should be an easy game, but I have a feeling that our boys will make it harder then it should be. This is our chance to really solidify our push for a CL spot and we always seem to stutter when we get that chance. Now obviously we have broken our curses and we're a different side now, so maybe this could be a habit of the past, but I really hope that we take our chance here and get the 3 points. I think we are strong enough to do so and Sunderland are weak enough that we can do a number on them.

I think MON will rest Downing and Milner, maybe even Young. I don't think we'll see the same lineup at at Old Trafford which may be worrying...but again I think we still have tons of quality to get the 3 points.

0-2 Villa.

I think MON will rest Downing and Milner, maybe even Young. I don't think we'll see the same lineup at at Old Trafford which may be worrying...but again I think we still have tons of quality to get the 3 points.

No chance they will be rested in my view.

I think this should be an easy game, but I have a feeling that our boys will make it harder then it should be. This is our chance to really solidify our push for a CL spot and we always seem to stutter when we get that chance. Now obviously we have broken our curses and we're a different side now, so maybe this could be a habit of the past, but I really hope that we take our chance here and get the 3 points. I think we are strong enough to do so and Sunderland are weak enough that we can do a number on them.

0-2 Villa.

Not an easy game at all. Those 3 won't be rested - perhaps Downing, but the other 2 will play the 90mins (barring injury).

I'd be delighted with a draw. Sunderland away is one of the toughest games of the Premier League fixture list.

There is no way we could rest all 3 of those players. We may have to rotate at some point so only 2 out of 3 play, but our midfield would look pretty weak with all 3 out.

No chance they will be rested in my view.

Agreed, might see Downing rested but noone other than that. If Downing was rested, I'd love to see Albrighton who I think would get at the Sunderland's poor full backs, but it isn't going to happen.

The biggest problem isn't Sunderland its dealing with the hangover of beating Man Utd, players by now may be feeling a bit deflated and tired, MON will have to put a lot of work in to get them fired up again for this, personally i think we are a much better team than Sunderland, providing we can get up for this i think we are looking at another 3 points, its down to Dunne, Milner and Gabby for me, if Gabby and Milner+ Ash Young can really have a go and get at them from the first whistle i see a good win, pity its not Wednesday rather Tuesday, its gone that fast it doesn't seem seconds since the final whistle at Old Trafford, so how the players must feel......however, we have to do this and get the 3 points.

At least one of them will be rested, maybe Delph or NRC to get a start? That would be nice.

I'd love to see Albrighton as well, very exciting player.

In terms of the back four though, was surprised to see Collins come on against Utd, thought he was out injured. Whats the news on about Warnock? Cause even though Cuellar has been doing well I would like to go back to Young, Collins, Dunne, and Warnock.

Still predict a 0-2 Villa win.

The biggest problem isn't Sunderland its dealing with the hangover of beating Man Utd, players by now may be feeling a bit deflated and tired, MON will have to put a lot of work in to get them fired up again for this, personally i think we are a much better team than Sunderland, providing we can get up for this i think we are looking at another 3 points, its down to Dunne, Milner and Gabby for me, if Gabby and Milner+ Ash Young can really have a go and get at them from the first whistle i see a good win, pity its not Wednesday rather Tuesday, its gone that fast it doesn't seem seconds since the final whistle at Old Trafford, so how the players must feel......however, we have to do this and get the 3 points.

This is exactly what I'm getting at, they just beat one of the hardest teams in the world and we expect them to play another 90 minutes 3 days later? And then another 90 minutes 4 days after that? Something has to give and I'm thinking MON is thinking this too and will make a change or two. It's either for this game or the match on the weekend.

At least one of them will be rested, maybe Delph or NRC to get a start? That would be nice.

I think its unlikely but if one is it will be Downing, Milner and Young will start for certain. I wouldn't want to see Delph thrown in at the deep end in this game.

Not the right time or game in my view.

In terms of the back four though, was surprised to see Collins come on against Utd, thought he was out injured. Whats the news on about Warnock? Cause even though Cuellar has been doing well I would like to go back to Young, Collins, Dunne, and Warnock.

Warnock is still a doubt if he misses the game it will be

Young (L) Collins Dunne Cuellar ®

If not it will be Young on the right and Warnock on the left.

I think its unlikely but if one is it will be Downing, Milner and Young will start for certain. I wouldn't want to see Delph thrown in at the deep end in this game.

Not the right time or game in my view.

Warnock is still a doubt if he misses the game it will be

Young (L) Collins Dunne Cuellar ®

If not it will be Young on the right and Warnock on the left.

Ya don't say??? ;)