• Warnock
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew

Friedel- can't give him 6 as that's harsh and can't give him 7 as is too generous. Literally had nothing to do.

L.Young 8.5*- he was quick to intercept, solid and good going forwards.

Dunne 7.5- missed one or two headers you would have expected him to make but generally solid.

Cuellar 7.5- Much like Dunne, didn't seem to do much wrong, but then again wasn't challenged a great deal.

Warnock 8- both full backs had excellent games.

A.Young 4- Why he isn't removed for able replacements on the bench baffles me when he plays like this. Got in so many promising situations but was utterly wasteful and frustrating. Got himself booked needlessly too. Hull fans chanted "you'll never play for England", which says a lot about his performance.

Petrov 6- while his first half performance showed glimpses of great talent, in the second he looked knackered and predictably became invisible. He should be stamping his authority on these poorer sides (as the holding midfielder) for the full 90, either that or MON should be prepared to substitute him. He's played 270 mins this week, give the guy a break.

Milner 8- superb effort and by far the best of the front 6. Faded in the second half but generally he ran the show from the centre.

Downing 6- looked short of match fitness but looks a class player at times.

Heskey 7- his link up play was very effective, particularly in the first half when people could be arsed to work for him. His finishing left a bit to be desired.

Gabby 5.5- seemed to lack confidence, but was full of energy and he wasn't helped by a referee who seemed to miss Zayette and Gardner tugging his shirt whenever he received the ball.

Carew- take the pens please

Subs 8- think you have to give them credit for their patience and not starting a riot considering half the side looked dead on their feet, some having played 270 mins this week. Feel for NRC who didn't deserve to be dropped in the first place and also Delph. Sidwell however had his say by restarting the play quickly to catch Duke out for the second goal, the best thing he's done in a while.

Overall a solid if unspectacular win against a side who are in my view doomed if Bullard is out for any length of time. I think we have the basis of a top 4 side here with the roles that Downing, Young and Milner are playing, but I would like to see NRC installed with Petrov to command the midfield a bit more, in a 4 3 3, to ensure that happens. Milner playing centrally though looks a prospect, and the defence cannot be faulted.

Milner is quality as for Young I just think it's a case of trying too hard, we need to support the boy rather than jump on his back! I loved those 3 being creative, best first half for a long time!

For me, playing the three of them is the way forward. Throwing NRC in alongside Stan and the transformation would be complete.

Job done today. Milner was immense, didn't think Young was that bad, agree with the earlier post that he's maybe trying a bit too hard, but saying that v pompey he was really good.

I liked the aplause when Bullard went off, hope his injury isn't too bad

I think the fact that L.Young and Warnock have only received 2 MOTM votes suggests that full back is a very underrated position. I thought both of them had superb games, particularly Young who was my personal MOTM, despite Milner's excellence.

I think the fact that L.Young and Warnock have only received 2 MOTM votes suggests that full back is a very underrated position. I thought both of them had superb games, particularly Young who was my personal MOTM, despite Milner's excellence.
Or you could say that both of them are just two votes from sharing second place. In a vote as skewed as this I don't think such conclusions carry any weight whatsoever.

By Paul Brown

Villa's stars will be celebrating their thrashing of the Tigers with a festive night-out tomorrow - but manager Martin O'Neill is simply satisfied with the early Christmas present of three points.

The Villa boss was delighted with the top-class performance against Hull, especially the high tempo first half display.

His first team heroes will be making merry as the yuletide season approaches and the gaffer joked he will have his spies out on main man John Carew.

He said: "I am obviously delighted. The first half was really good. I thought we played really well.

"Our first goal should probably have been our third and we deserved the 2-0 lead at half time.

"The team were playing really great - there was great fluidity about us. The second half was really stop-start and it never really got going.

"But overall, I am delighted - really pleased with the win. I am also pleased with the performance - particularly in the first half.

"The lads are delighted - really delighted. I think they have an early Christmas night out tomorrow."

The gaffer went on to joke: "I'm not sure where they are going. That would be a concern. I must follow John Carew to see where he goes. I must find out.

"They are all going. John will be leading them a merry dance. Wherever he goes, they shall follow!"

The manager also paid tribute to James Milner, who excelled in his new role of central midfield.

He added: "James was brilliant, really brilliant. That was his second game in there [central midfield].

"It's as if he has played there all of his career. I always felt he was capable of doing it.

"It's a different game when you move in 15-20 yards. I know that from my own experience - when I got the chance to play there for Forest. You see a different game.

"I just thought he played brilliantly and the goal just about summed up his performance.

"I think the great thing about James is that versatility.

"He has also played right-back for us - not starting - but he played that as if he had done it for years.

"He is a very good footballer and he is thriving here. I am delighted with him. He has taken his game on a notch, two, maybe even three notches.

"Eventually, I am sure Fabio Capello will be looking at one or two players who can play two or three positions - that will be essential. He has even played left-back for him - I haven't tried that one yet.

"I told him at the start of the season that I thought he was capable of playing in central midfield. I am delighted he is proving me right. I couldn't be more pleased for him."

Really enjoyed the first half could have been 4/5 - 0.

Second half never not going and I blame the ref partly for that, he never stopped blowing his bastard whistle. How there were 7 yellow cards in that match I'll never know!

Anyway, nice to see us get a regulation home win against a team we should be beating.

we didn't get this one on Fox Sports over here, but from all reports above it seems that we did what we had to do. The next 5 games will be a real test, but one we can really tackle head on.

BTW, love that quote from MON about Carew.....would love to be at that party!! and you can imagine MON in the background in a Groucho Marx-style disguise.....

Friedel - 6 Nowt to do

L Young - 8.5

Warnock - 8

Cueller - 7

Dunne - 7.5

Petrov - 7 for first half, second half didnt realise he was on pitch..looked knackered why wont MON take him off?

A Young - 6 Got into decent positions but then wasted possession. Looked more comfortable on the right than he has recently on the left but still not hitting his form..needs to be dropped for a couple of games.

Milner - 9.5 - Brilliant

Downing - 7 Looks good, good on the ball, fast and eager to get forward, but also has a good football brain and covered for warnock when he went forward. Great effort on goal from range. Tired at end but too be expectted.

Heskey - 8 Just lacked a goal, defenders couldnt handle him, chased everything down defended and got some great flick ons for gabby. Should keep place in team.

Gabby - 7. Not his best game, not his worst.

Carew - 7.5 Took penalty well if a little predictable (down middle smacked very hard). Great impact when teams are tiring.

MON - 7 - still could've freshed it up with with more than 1 sub. Why oh why do we think a game is won and second half sit back...Hull were awful first half and team should have pressed on second half...there were more goals there for the taking if we wnt for it...

Ref - 3 What can I say..bloody awful, too many bookings for nothing. Didnt allow quick play.

Good day out today, apart from getting soaked on the way out of the ground.

Anyway, I thought the entire team played very well today. Even Heskey was getting stuck in, although I was annoyed when he scuffed that chance he had. Milner looked very good in the central role again.

The defence looked solid aswell, although to be fair Hull didn't do much. We pretty much dominated the game from the off.

My one main gripe was during the second half. We seemed to ease off the pressure after half-time. We could and should have won by at least five. However, we got a 3-0 win which is good enough. It was also nice to keep a clean sheet. This tendency we are developing of sitting back in thw second half is starting to worry me a bit in all honesty though.

Well done to the lads today anyway. It was a thoroughly deserved win and it could have been by more. Milners finish was absolutely brilliant aswell and he really is a class act.

I also want to add to this how awful the away support was. Shame on you Hull.