• Warnock
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew

we started off brilliantly luke young one two on the edge of the box dragged his shot wide should of scored, we had another couple of chances Milner was always floating around offering an option to who ever had possession we knocked it around really well.

the first goal was real quality. most of the stadium screaming at Milner to shoot he played a slide rule pass and put in Dunny who crashed it into the net like he was takin a goal kick.

Milners goal was class the ball was played thru to Gabby I think the hull keeper come rushing out to head it into touch. we took the throw quick and the goalie was still running back so Milner dinked it over the defenders and it bounced beautifully into the net.

Carew's pen was an exorcet missile straight down the middle.

Bullard was bossing it but attempting to foul our player he landed heavily and was fkd. he tried to play on and collapsed again and then again in the dug out.

Hull are fkin foulers especially that nasty clearing in the woods fagan.

It was funny our friends in the north ripping stephen hunt to shreds while he was waiting to take a corner.

Good win and a good performance although we took our foot off the gas 2nd half.

I'd vote Sidwell if he was an option - that throw to Gabby in the lead up to Jimmy's goal was his best bit of work since Everton away last season

Played really well first half and pretty much went through the motions in the second half. Should have scored four goals in the first half.

Apart from the shot in the 2nd half that hit the post Hull were never a threat.

Thought the ref was poor today. The game didn't flow for long periods due to him blowing up when he could have played advantage and to the amount of times the physio came on, mainly for Hull, which must have been at least 5 times.

Milner was superb today and is getting a nice little centre mid partnership with Petrov going.

Attendance was very good today - 39700 odd ( Hull bought about 1500 ). A little quiet though after the first 15 mins I think mainly due to it being so easy for us.

Thought the ref was poor today. The game didn't flow for long periods due to him blowing up when he could have played advantage and to the amount of times the physio came on, mainly for Hull, which must have been at least 5 times.

thought exactly the opposite. the ref seemed to do really well and let the game flow. You cant blame him for the physio coming on, if a players says hes injured the refs are obliged to call on the physio. Good game for the ref.

thought exactly the opposite. the ref seemed to do really well and let the game flow. You cant blame him for the physio coming on, if a players says hes injured the refs are obliged to call on the physio. Good game for the ref.

Yeah, he really let the game flow apart from all those times he stopped it and spent ages talking to the players for no valid reason whatsoever.

Ashley Young really frustrates the crap out of me and he did nothing today to reverse that feeling. FFS you only need to beat a man once, there is no need to come back and do it again. If only he could watch Jimmy closer and just play the simple ball he would be so much better and help the team so much more.

Well what can you say. Well, I will say this. I will admit, I was critical of the guy in his first 6 months at Villa but I honestly think Milner is 10 times the centre midfielder than Gareth Barry ever was !.

He has the energy, he has the speed (well he has it better than Barry) , he shoots, he passes, and he has vision (hence Dunnes goal - perfect pass at the perfect time !) - utterly brilliant display and I would give him a 10 - he could not have done any better !.

Freidal and Defence - can only give them 6 coz they could have logged onto the internet and watched the game and it wouldn't make any difference.

Milner 10 - best performance I've seen from a Villa player in years

Petrov - 7 - did OK but nowt special

Downing - 8 - for 70 mins looked very very very good, got tired

Young - starting to worry me big style (more in a minute)

Gabby - worked his socks off hence the 2nd goal - 8

Heskey - was Heskey - worked his socks off, battled hard, but missed a sitter !! - we desperately need a goalscorer

Carew - to be honest apart from his pen (which wasnt the greatest I've seen) didn't see him do anything - 5

Back to Young - I just don't think he is moving forward. He is 25, and I don't see any improvement since he was 22. He is now about 6th choice on the wing for England in a league where there aren't many English players - I think that sums him up really. I think he needs competition, whether that is Albrighton, or even Pennant - he needs competition.

really disagree, thought he was inconsistent and wasted a bit of time, there was no quick freekicks allowed

Guest Ricardomeister

A very good first half followed by a mediocre second half imo against a woeful (once Bullard had gone off) Hull. Jimmy thoroughly deserved his man of the match award and has, so far, done very well in his new position, albeit the next few games will give a better picture as the opposition will be a much higher standard. Hull never looked like scoring apart from the shot against the bar. We probably should have had 1 or 2 more in the first half but for large parts of the second half I thought our passing was wayward.

Our next 5 games are Man Ure, Sunderland, Stoke, Arsenal and Liverplop. I think we will need to keep and pass the ball better if we are to stay in the top 6 for the New Year.

I still think we will just fall short of the top 6 but you never know as things will probably be pretty close.

UTV SOTC

Can't really think of any negatives to be honest. Milner MotM, he's been immense this season. May as well pack his bags for SA already.

Young was far more silly for reacting imo, needless yellow. We seem to be getting more Yellow cards this season than in previous ones even though we're not a dirty team at all. Petrov must be on 7 by now while the likes of Young and Cuellar must not be far away from suspensions.

Anyway, routine win today, Milner best player on the pitch by a mile although Petrov also played well I thought apart from long range shooting!

Excellent first half, comfortable second half and good 3 points as we have a very tough run of 6-7 fixtures coming up.

MATCH REPORT – Aston Villa 3 City 0

Take the defeat on the chin and instead spare a worried thought for Jimmy Bullard. Substituted early on at Villa Park with another knee injury, the prospects of the Tigers’ survival seemed to limp away as gingerly as City’s mercurial midfielder did.

It was an innocuous looking challenge, and indeed Bullard was deemed to be the player culpable of an offence by kindergarten referee Stuart Atwell (though he got enough decisions wrong to permit us a soupcon of doubt on this one) as the City player lay on his back.

In a carbon copy of Ian Ashbee’s stricken exit last season, Bullard was tackled, fairly or otherwise, out of a game at Aston Villa but tried to hobble on after initial treatment. Soon he realised that his day was numbered. Whether his year, his season or even his career is similarly in danger remains to be seen. The word was that the knee affected was not the one which rendered him in possession of an orange badge for ten months of this season, but with the luck of both Bullard and the club he represents, it wouldn’t be unduly pessimistic to worry that the injury, if not the knee, may be the same.

The defeat was wretched and made it ever more plain that City’s team need to be inspired by Bullard in order to perform. Upon his exit, Phil Brown slung on Craig Fagan and heaped the reliance for creativity back on to the shoulders of Dean Marney. He, of course, isn’t up to it and the game was over for the team very quickly after it ended for Bullard. Already a goal down thanks to some especially dense defending at a set piece, the crumbling remains of Brown’s game plan soon crashed to the surface and Villa walked to one of the easier maximum hauls they’ll attain this season.

Brown picked George Boateng as a screening presence in a five-man midfield while dropping, surprisingly, Geovanni to the bench. The rest of the team was unchanged as City aimed to dent another side’s pretensions to the Champions League places.

Immediately, Luke Young flashed a shot wide and Emile Heskey, a player whom the Villa fans evdiently dislike, similarly missed a good chance. Matt Duke had to turn a steeple-high centre from the tremendous James Milner on to the roof of the net but was then left helpless and seething as the corner was cleared to the same player, who spotted Richard Dunne in a criminally spacious position and the centre back bashed his shot past Duke via the bar.

Bullard’s exit soon followed and the mood was funereal among the Tiger Nation as whispers spread about his knee, his tears and Brown’s devastated expression as texts from people watching illegal feeds of the game illustrated the seriousness of the situation. The City players, to their great credit, lifted the mood with a couple of well-forced set-pieces, but Anthony Gardner headed Stephen Hunt’s corner over the bar and then both Jozy Altidore and Marney had shots from the edge of the box blocked by Villa players prepared to throw their whole bodies at the ball.

Gabriel Agbonlahor, football’s most sullen individual, cut inside from the flank to try a tester on Duke from distance but Kamil Zayatte blocked superbly. Duke was being well protected, so it was with both disbelief and contempt that the City fans took verbal umbrage with City’s keeper when he rushed a long way out of goal to head into touch, only for a quick recovery of the ball to allow Villa to get throw-in Milner’s way, and he lobbed the two furiously backpedalling City defenders from distance with the hapless, hopeless City custodian not even halfway back to his goal.

It was comically awful. Bad enough having no creative midfielder. But it seemed we had no proper goalkeeper either. There is much to admire in Duke, but goalkeeping isn’t necessarily at the top of his virtues list. Boaz Myhill is fit and not playing and it beggars all belief. And those who scorn City’s best keeper in a generation should be told vehemently that Myhill would simply have not chased out of goal like that.

Villa nearly made it 3-0 when Ashley Young, who seems to have pace beyond any genuine footballing ability (and the England coach appears to agree), fired over the bar after both Craig Fagan and Andy Dawson came out worst in 50-50 challenges.

Home debutant Stewart Downing then shot inches wide from a long way out and Zayatte came close to extending his improbable capacity for own goals when he diverted a fizzing Downing free kick just over his own crossbar. The half time whistle came as a relief, despite the narrowest concourses in football preventing humans beings from experiencing any degree of comfort.

Villa Park is a superb arena. But there are many reasons to complain about a day out there. Atwell didn’t help, and though the unflattering labelling of referees is always regarded as easy and unsportsmanlike, it certainly was the most blatant homer’s display of whistling I’ve seen in a while. He did book four Villa players, but there was a reason for that; Villa are a dirty team. The dirtiest we’ve faced by some distance, and even though they have a manager renowned for wit, shrewdness and fair play, he evidently has a dark side to him if his players are programmed to commit the sort of cynical fouls they did against the Tigers.

Of course, a starstruck referee isn’t Villa’s fault, and their team’s attitude cannot be placed at the door of the club’s off-pitch hierarchy. But the scandalous double-standards shown in stewarding – all Villa ends full of untroubled standing fans while untroublesome away supporters are kicked out for the same action – certainly can, and it leaves a nasty taste. Writing to the club will do no good, of course. Even the most vehement anti-seating supporter would grudgingly park his backside if he knew home fans were also being threatened with misquoted legal garbage in their areas of the ground. But they weren’t. And that’s the problem.

Mutterings of despondency claimed Bullard’s end was also ours, with some claiming we’d be instant favourites for relegation as soon as our finest footballer is confirmed as a write-off for any great length of time. We await the news from the club. Meanwhile, there was a second half to get through, and one assumed Geovanni would be part of it from the beginning.

He wasn’t. And neither was anyone else, judging by the utter featurelessness of the early stages. Villa clearly knew they’d won and genuinely did not try, while City huffed and puffed but seemed shellshocked by Bullard’s loss, as well as the rotten way the two goals had been conceded. Altidore had another luckless afternoon and still he awaits his first Premier League goal as he trudged off for Nick Barmby midway through the half.

Suddenly, City sprang to life. The unlikely figure of Fagan hit a corking left foot shot from distance which made a mug of Brad Friedel and smacked the inside of the post, rebounding out to Hunt who couldn’t quite get the control to attempt a second effort. So unlucky, but luck was certainly not leaving its aura in City’s vicinity. But a fantastic effort it was, and City hd a bit of a go at Villa afterwards without really threatening anything as close to a goal.

Villa responded with a shot from Milner which Gardner blocked, then a follow up from Stilyan Petrov which was too high. The game petered out almost entirely, but for a typically defiant singalong from the Tiger Nation which drowned out any semblance of noise – not that there was much – from a stadium lacking in both motion and emotion in its customers. The number of empty seats which appeared long before the final whistle said it all. Traffic problems or not, you really are a false, spiritless human being if you don’t hang around until the end.

Marney, industrious but profligate, as always, was replaced by Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink late on and then Duke took down Ashley Young and saw yellow, allowing sub John Carew to slam the penalty past a keeper not having his finest hour. The third goal provided icing but the story of the day had little to do with the result.

Bullard’s bad knee of 2009 was not the one he hurt at Villa Park, and until we get some cast-iron news it is the only dusting of hope we can sprinkle on a wretched day for player, club and supporters. Let’s hope that it’s a three week lay-off with bruising, or suchlike, especially as we can beat Blackburn without him and then have the write-offs against Arsenal and Manchester United. More than anything, let’s just wish the guy well.

It’s sad that our hopes rely so much on one player, and maybe it does the others a disservice if we believe we are bereft of opportunity without him in the side. But the impact Bullard has had on everyone connected with Hull City has been visible even to the blind over the last month, and so the impact of his elongated absence, again, will be felt even more acutely. Last time we didn’t really know what we were missing, after all. This time, if he does end up in recuperation again, we’ll be only too aware of what we’re missing, and that’ll make the pain of a relegation battle ever more unbearable.

LINK

There's some pretty bitter comments in that match report. TBH, i didn't realise that was Boateng running around kicking all of our players.