Best Film of 2009?

TheWalletInspector

What has been the best film of 2009?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What has been the best film of 2009?

• The Taking of Pelham 123
    • Public Enemies
    • Terminator Salvation
    • Slumdog Millionaire
    • Angels & Demons
    • Watchmen
    • Star-Trek
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    • Up!
    • The Hangover
    • Bruno
    • Inglorious Basterds
    • Zombieland

Let the Right One In

I have heard some really good reveiws on this. Really good.

Is it in English though, or is it subtitled?

shouldn't put me off, but it does, if it's foreign language.

It's Swedish and subtitled. Seriously though, don't let that put you off.

There is an atrocious American dub of it and another version with butchered, simplified subtitles but neither are available in the UK. Those alterations were crowbarred in for the moron sector of the US audience - pissing off Tomas Alfredson in the process.

To add further insult, Hollywood is unnecessarily remaking it to cash in, re-writing the story so it's set in America - pissing off Tomas Alfredson in the process.

But he will get loads of money wont he?

No. Nor is he after any. In fact, even the author of the original book, as well as the Swedish film's screenplay (John Ajvide Linqvist), is just as annoyed at the arrogance of Hollywood in this matter.

The only people from the Swedish original who are involved in the American remake are the producers who sold the remake rights.

Was Gran Torino2009? If so, that would be on my list. Loved that film.

good shout.

forgot that one - top film.

was 2009, according to IMDB: Release Date:27 February 2009

In that case that's my favourite film of the year.

Maybe we could do a new poll once this thread has run it's course with the most popular choices?

Come January 1st i'll do a new one with the top choices plus Let The Right One In, Gran Torino and anything else I missed.

Good plan :thumb:

I'll try to see Let the RIght One In by then as well.

Up was just awesome. Still need to see Gran Turino, Mesrine, and Star Trek really.

Can't understand the Hangover hype though. I mean it's standard fare for that type of film - yet for some reason it's lauded as exceptional? Not the worst film I've seen but... really?

I'm slightly surprised by the popularity of Star Trek among those too young to remember the original series.

I loved it, but nostalgia played a VERY big part in that.

I think that was the same for me. I've included it because I was pleasantly surprised they didn't screw it all up.

At the cinema I saw it in there was a cheer when they played the old TV theme at the end.

It's Moon for me tonight.

i 2nd sherlock holmes looking very good, and its also pretty much the start of award season films getting released, so im looking out for shutter island, the road, where the wild things are etc, plus also merry hill showing serious man and the informant, and i might actually get round to seeing moon

but by quite some miles, gran torino is the best film ive seen this year

I am pretty sure I saw Let the right one in 2008. It's visually stunning .

You will have done as it was on limited release in the states in 2008.

It was filmed in Feb 2007 and started doing the rounds at film festivals just after the beginning of 2008. The film was released in some territories in late 2008 (24th October 08 in Sweden for example) but for the most part, it is a 2009 release (10th April 09 in the UK for example).

Â