• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sidwell
    • Heskey

Since MON has been in charge i can only think of man u as a team that has walked all over us. This year we beat chelsea and liverpool and last year we took 4 points off arsenal and deserved to have beaten them both times. Did that have nothing to do with a winning mentality?

I would say Liverpool have done it twice at Anfield, too.

Not that that is something to be too embarrassed about.

True i forgot about that.

I think this villa side that we have is one that on their day can give any team in the league a game and also let any team in the league get a result against us. Like someone else said we are inconsistent, nothing to do with a losing mentality.

Unfortunately alot of people have got yesterdays match all wrong.

I shall explain why.

Spurs were on a high and Lennon is having the sort of season we want Ash to be having. Lennon is on fire. Villa stopped any wing play whatsoever duing the first half. This was mainly down to Ash and Milner forcing the play inside. This gave the Spurs centre backs the ball. They did nothing with it. Lennon was lost in Luke Youngs pocket for 45 minutes and there was practically no threat.

Our goal was scored because Crouch didn't stand where he was supposed to for 1 corner. Redknapp will have gone absolutely apesh@t at him.

In the second half we should have put the game to bed on the break and this is where we are struggling this year. Ash is not doing his stuff. The sight of Ash Young, Milner and Gabby on the break is enough to worry any team. For some reason his mojo has gone.

In the second half Reo-Coker got injured and Stan tired. Redknapp did the one thing he had to do. Get rid of the totally ineffectual Palacios. The game then became a struggle. Spuds attacked but only about twice all match did I think they would actually score. Huddlestone couldn't get his shooting boots going and I thought it had one-nil written all over it and hoped a break away goal would come.

We were under pressure due to Spuds keeping the ball (but creating little) and the BIGGEST factor by a mile was Dowd.

I like Crouch, but the bloke cannot head the ball without climbing all over players with his hands on shoulders and elbows all over defenders. This is why Capello will not play him. Every continental referee blows him for his constant fouling. Dowd just let him foul and win headers all match. Every single header he won was a foul. (And the wrestling of Milner to win a free kick was just one of the worst decisions I have ever seen)

If Dowd had been strong enough (worst ref I have ever seen), we would have had about 15 free kicks which would have taken the pressure off. Crouch would have been subbed and Spurs would have had Keane on for Crouch rather than Palacios. We would have won.

As an earlier poster had said if Dowd had received a bung I could understand his incompetence.

The Spurs full backs were ineffective. Dawson on MOTD basically admitted it was handball.

They had possession. It was given by Dowd.

Has O'Neill ever come out and slagged off the ref? It's not his style.

And if we are one down to Spurs, I expect us to press and keep the ball. I expect them to soak up pressure and play Lennon as their threat on the break.

Sometime we play badly and win. Soemtime we don't turn up. Sometime teams get a good hiding.

Sometimes refs make a team (who were on a massive high) look better than I think they are.

Spurs have a tough run of mid/bottom-table type games coming up. The next few weeks will define their season, not a game of 12 vs 11 when they could only get the ball in the net with their hands.

Villa will finish above Spurs IF Ash starts to threaten like Lennon. Spurs will finish above Villa if Lennon does not get injured.

And I would like to finish on the fact I don't dislike Spurs. But my God, I effing well hate Melted Candlewax Face.

Watched it on TV today and the Ref had a very strange game TBH.

I thought we played really well for about 25 minutes. Had we been able to add another goal in that period, the game might have been totally different. But we didn't, and in the second half we were outplayed by a Spurs team in top form. That was dissappointing, and I have no real explanation for it. The only thing I can think of is that our central midfield was excellent the first 25 minutes - as they faded, so did the team in general. That being said, the defense did well for 90 minutes. Cuellar and Beye in particular, the latter getting my vote for MOTM for his numerous vital blocks in the second half.

Despite a poor second half, I'm not too down about the game. A draw against an in form team like Spurs is never a disaster, and I feel there is a lot more potential in our side than what we showed on saturday. Ashley in particular has so much more to his game, and once he starts playing to his potential, we will improve as a team.

THe next game is important, though. We need three points against Hull before we go to Old Trafford.

No belief or winning mentality to put us with the bigger clubs. It has been that way for a long time now and the manager has not changed it

Since MON has been in charge i can only think of man u as a team that has walked all over us. This year we beat chelsea and liverpool and last year we took 4 points off arsenal and deserved to have beaten them both times. Did that have nothing to do with a winning mentality?

yup. i'm really struggling to think where Trickie can have got such views from. They seem to have little basis in fact, just some sort of negative hunch. Baseless, if you will.

the fact we have beaten both Chelsea and Liverpool this season surely suggest the exact opposite of what Richard is trying to say. :?

Sorry both, just picking out odd results may make you feel better but wont help your opinion. It is my opinion, based on results and performances that the team does not have a winning mentality or a belief about it.

The second half against Spuds, did we look like a team who exuded the belief that they would win, or one that was trying to hang on ?

Sorry both, just picking out odd results may make you feel better but wont help your opinion. It is my opinion, based on results and performances that the team does not have a winning mentality or a belief about it.

The second half against Spuds, did we look like a team who exuded the belief that they would win, or one that was trying to hang on ?

Sorry Richard, just picking out odd results may make you feel negative but wont help your opinion. It is my opinion, based on results and performances that the team does have a winning mentality and a belief about it.

The entire match against Chelsea, and the game against Liverpool, did we look like a team who exuded the belief that they would lose, or one that was fully comitted to the victory?

:P :winkold: