PL: Hull h Match Thread 2009/12/05 15:00

limpid

Another draw would be 6 in the last 9 league games. Not good. We need to start winning games in the league again

Agreed. In the excitement of a cup win and a place in the semi's people seem to have forgotten our average league form, nothing but a win will be good enough from this one.

Have you noticed that in our last 17 games we have only lost TWICE both of them being to last minute goals.

I would take that average all day long, but I hate losing.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

For what it is worth I think we are about to come into some real form and push on over Xmas, starting with 3 points against Hull.

By the way I realise people will say why only the last 17 games, but the Wigan and Vienna games this season are mysteriously wiped from my memory.

I think in a modern world of forward thinking tactics, my team and system would always be something along the lines of

................Friedel

Young Cuellar Dunne Warnock

................NRC...Petrov

Young/Gabby.....Milner.....Downing

........Heskey/Carew/Gabby

We should have enough though for Hull even with the rigid MON system to nervously win 1-0 or 2-1. What concerns me slightly is Bullard's ability as he is the sort of player who Petrov will have trouble coping with and can cause problems.

Milner in the centre or on the left is the way forward for me, as he can do some defensive work also, with Downing and Young causing general havoc switching places. I wouldn't like to see Milner in a 442 in the centre as I just feel he will be covering for Stan too much against decent opposition, much how Delph and Sidwell have struggled when paired with him.

In my opinion we would have one of the best destroyers in the centre in NRC, and Petrov can in that way be effective in his keeping it simple in possession role and winning free kicks. Both are crucial players for us when played around the right personnel. Gabby could switch right if neccessary to accommodate the big 2 up front also. There is also a wealth of attacking talent in front of them, (with Delph and Albrighton on the bench) so in no way is this a negative system...it is a winning one.

If the right system is used we have easily the makings of a top 4 side.

I really hope MON can see this.

I think in a modern world of forward thinking tactics, my team and system would always be something along the lines of

................Friedel

We should have enough though for Hull even with the rigid MON system to nervously win 1-0 or 2-1. What concerns me slightly is Bullard's ability as he is the sort of player who Petrov will have trouble coping with and can cause problems.

Milner in the centre or on the left is the way forward for me, as he can do some defensive work also, with Downing and Young causing general havoc switching places. I wouldn't like to see Milner in a 442 in the centre as I just feel he will be covering for Stan too much against decent opposition, much how Delph and Sidwell have struggled when paired with him.

In my opinion we would have one of the best destroyers in the centre in NRC, and Petrov can in that way be effective in his keeping it simple in possession role and winning free kicks. Both are crucial players for us when played around the right personnel. Gabby could switch right if neccessary to accommodate the big 2 up front also. There is also a wealth of attacking talent in front of them, (with Delph and Albrighton on the bench) so in no way is this a negative system...it is a winning one.

The problem with NRC as a destroyer is that Petrov wins the ball a lot more nowadays. Also swapping a striker for a defensive mid is not particularly forward thinking in my opinion.

................Friedel

The problem with NRC as a destroyer is that Petrov wins the ball a lot more nowadays. Also swapping a striker for a defensive mid is not particularly forward thinking in my opinion.

Not sure, I haven't noticed that. As far as I'm concerned NRC wins the ball better than Stan, and Stan keeps it better than NRC. So NRC can win it and give it to Stan. And with Young, Downing and Milner on the field there is more creative and positive force in the team as opposed to MONs system of two static cms, two wingers who have no support and end up defending all the time, and two exposed strikers who end up running around like headless chickens.

Not sure, I haven't noticed that. As far as I'm concerned NRC wins the ball better than Stan, and Stan keeps it better than NRC. So NRC can win it and give it to Stan. And with Young, Downing and Milner on the field there is more creative and positive force in the team as opposed to MONs system of two static cms, two wingers who have no support and end up defending all the time, and two exposed strikers who end up running around like headless chickens.

Milner is anything but static in the middle. Now that Downing is fit and we can have someone in the middle who can join attacks I would love to see the 4-5-1 at say Manu away but Hull home just isn't the time for it, if we're going to lose it it will be because we don't create/score enough and an extra striker is just going to help more with that than an extra defensive mid who wins the ball less than the one we have already playing anyway.

this is a huge game because of the other fixtures. we need to nullify bullard as he makes them tick. hopefully no late pens will be given away like against wolves/blackburn. i would put reo coker on to man mark bullard, downing wont be able for another start yet.

i'd go with...

friedal

young cuellar dunne warnock

petrov

NRC

milner young

gabby heskey/carew

i'd usually take carew all day over heskey but heskey's finish on tues nite was brilliant....

give downing 20 mins and hopefully we hav a 2 goal cushion and delph gets a chance too

With villa having displayed a spirited performance mid week I think the team will remain pretty much unchanged!

Hull will more than likely come sit back, get men behind the ball, work hard for each other hoping to catch us on the break, so at home the impetus is on us to break them down.

The 4-4-2 formation provides many attacking options that Hull will have to deal with, with the likes of Young, Millner,Gabby, Heskey and downing all sublime on their day!

With the wingers having the license to swap freely during the games this hopefully will create more attacking opportunities and confuse the Hull team!

I think an early goal is important as then Hull with have to come out more and be more attacking leaving them more exposed at the back to a Heskey hatrick!

Up the Villa!