PL: Hull h Match Thread 2009/12/05 15:00

limpid

Same team as Pompey except we swap the Brads. Petrov will start and finish the game as he should IMO. I don't think he gets "knackered" on 60. I think he drops back and sits deeper as instructed by the strategy to draw the other team to commit numbers into attack, so that the counter is more effective. We don't really sit back and defend. We adopt the goal of "bend but don't break" on defense to encourage the opponent to commit more bodies forward. Sorry to disagree with the prevailing anti-Petrovism, but that's my opinion.

3 points are a must against a side like Hull City. I have no idea how this one is going to play out. I'm still not sure how good we are.

This.

We can be brilliant but we're so prone to sitting back after taking a lead that it makes you think that we lack that killer instinct sometimes.

I think Heskey has to start this after his last few performances. I'd also like to see Downing start if he's fit. But we could also go 4-5-1/4-3-3 and stick Milner, Young and Downing behind Gabby. With these sort of options available to us we should be turning over Hull.

I can see us winning this, maybe 2-0. Be nice to get a clean sheet after leaking a few the last few weeks but in order to that the midfield will have to hold the ball a bit better than they are doing. Almost impossible for a defence to hold out when they are under the pressure that ours were under against Spurs.

Think Heskey deserves his start and wouldn't be surprised if he scores and hopefually Ash goal from Tuesday will kick start his season.

3 points is a must with our run of games coming up

I can see us winning this, maybe 2-0. Be nice to get a clean sheet after leaking a few the last few weeks but in order to that the midfield will have to hold the ball a bit better than they are doing. Almost impossible for a defence to hold out when they are under the pressure that ours were under against Spurs.

Think Heskey deserves his start and wouldn't be surprised if he scores and hopefually Ash goal from Tuesday will kick start his season.

3 points is a must with our run of games coming up

Agree with this, not suggesting this should be a breeze but we have everything going for us, and as said Ash got on the score sheet the other night so he can build from there and hoping we get something special from him.

Need to win this one - to keep us up in the top 5! Hull will more than likely stick men behind the ball and make it difficult - but they do have talent through Bullard and will be boyant from their draw against Man City last week so it wont be easy.

Hopefully our crowd will get behind the boys in light of our semi final.

COME ON THE BOYS!!

This is definitely a must win game, we haven't picked up as many points in recent weeks as we would have liked and have a tough run coming up.

Plus the boys should really be up for this with Downing coming back and getting into the semis

I don't want to see us go 4-5-1 at home to Hull either but I agree we look a lot more solid with 3 in the middle and don't get overrun- so I reckon we **** go for it with a 3-5-2!- we'll put them on the back foot right away, they won't know what's hit them and I reckon we could give them a right going over.

Here's my line up which I think would be just too strong for them and throws everything we have at them, what do you reckon?

Friedel

L Young Dunne Cuellar

Downing/Ash Petrov Reo-Coker Milner Ash/Downing(ie switching flanks as they please)

Gabby Heskey*

*with Carew coming on with 30 mins to go to really finish them off.

There is no way Hull would score more than we would with that line up, in fact I think we'd keep a clean sheet too-guaranteed 3 points in the bag!!

4-0 to the Villa, yes I am in a great mood, feeling very optimistic and in the xmas spirit!

Another draw would be 6 in the last 9 league games. Not good. We need to start winning games in the league again

Agreed. In the excitement of a cup win and a place in the semi's people seem to have forgotten our average league form, nothing but a win will be good enough from this one.

I don't want to see us go 4-5-1 at home to Hull either but I agree we look a lot more solid with 3 in the middle and don't get overrun- so I reckon we **** go for it with a 3-5-2!- we'll put them on the back foot right away, they won't know what's hit them and I reckon we could give them a right going over.

Here's my line up which I think would be just too strong for them and throws everything we have at them, what do you reckon?

Friedel

L Young Dunne Cuellar

Downing/Ash Petrov Reo-Coker Milner Ash/Downing(ie switching flanks as they please)

Gabby Heskey*

*with Carew coming on with 30 mins to go to really finish them off.

There is no way Hull would score more than we would with that line up, in fact I think we'd keep a clean sheet too-guaranteed 3 points in the bag!!

4-0 to the Villa, yes I am in a great mood, feeling very optimistic and in the xmas spirit!

Yeah I'd completely disregard one of our best players this season not to mention one of the top 3/4 left backs in the league! 4-4-2 will be fine and i'd imagine the only change from Tues night will be Friedel back in.