Scientific Experiment V2 #5 - MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes he's still the MON
    • No - we need something new

I think he did a great job at Leicester. No doubts.

He came to Celtic at a time when they had a cash injection which he used to buy the likes of Sutton, Lennon and Hartson, which was the catalyst for them to get on a level playing field with Rangers so not so sure that we are comparing apples with apples here.

Isn't he one of Celtics most succesful managers ever, anyways?

Good question. The answer is no. But I think he's the most successful they've ever ever had in the 21st century.

Willie Maley won 16 Leagues & 11 Cups (there was no League Cup nor European Cup in those days.

Jock Stein won 10 Leagues & 8 Cups plus 6 League Cups & a European Cup.

O'Neill would probably be leader of the chasing pack.

It seems many fans are as deadly as DE.
Why? Only 17 out of 122 (currently) want him out. Thats a 73% majority in favour. Where is the deadliness in that?

The deadliness is in the reasons put forward, for wanting him replaced:

Buying the wrong players, bad playstyle and hunches.

Highly subjective.

I think Trickie meant that 17 out of 122 was not "many".

i guess it depends on what you class as many. Personally, i still think that is a high for approval rating for MON.

Had I said few, I would have been accused of singling out :)

Anyway, I don´t like how this debate is always about the person MON.

We got a manager now, who has been here around 3.5 year.

In that time We have gone from relegation candidate to established "chaser" and got perhaps, the most exiting squad I can remember at VP. Maybe not best 11....Yet.

Why not give it a chance and try the novel idea of not replacing manager every 4 years?

Why not give it a chance and try the novel idea of not replacing manager every 4 years?

The main reason for me is that O'Neill is into his 4th year, and yet here we are, still playing turgid football that's dismal to watch. I don't expect us to win every match, but then neither do I expect to see the likes of Wigan, Burnley and Blackburn give us a lesson in how to play proper football.

The main reason for me is that O'Neill is into his 4th year, and yet here we are, still playing turgid football that's dismal to watch. I don't expect us to win every match, but then neither do I expect to see the likes of Wigan, Burnley and Blackburn give us a lesson in how to play proper football.

You sound like a Newcastle fan.

Look where their "proper football" has got them!

You sound like a Newcastle fan.

Look where their "proper football" has got them!

Ah good, the old "get rid of a manager and you'll end up like Newcastle" argument. Well it's a shit argument. Randy Lerner is no Mike Ashley, and if he were to get rid of O'Neill, are you saying that he'd appoint the likes of Glen Roeder, Alan Shearer or Joe Kinnear, because I really don't think he would.

As for where their "proper football got them" - when did they last play proper football, and what's wrong with looking at where proper football has got the likes of Arsenal and Man U?

The main reason for me is that O'Neill is into his 4th year, and yet here we are

5th, three points off 4th, with a chance to close that on Saturday.

The main reason for me is that O'Neill is into his 4th year, and yet here we are

5th, three points off 4th, with a chance to close that on Saturday....

....still playing shit football.

... i'd happily take "shit" football if it gets us top 4 or better at season end ...

i also don't necessarily agree that we're playing "shit" football, but that's a different debate.

Your patience-level is certainly lower than mine. I am a fisherman though and a sucker to try some stability as well.

Some important changes in the team as well, going into this year, maybe made me lower expectations a bit too.

I have no problem considering those matches speedbumps, while looking back to Anfield or vs Chelsea.

We don't play any more shit football than our rivals. We lack consistency, which is why we can go from a sublime 90 minutes against Bolton, to an awful first 45 at Burnley.

... i'd happily take "shit" football if it gets us top 4 or better at season end ...

why? whats the point?

so we can see ourselves get knocked out in the cl qualifiers?

What do suggest? That we don't bother, as we might fail?

why? whats the point?

so we can see ourselves get knocked out in the cl qualifiers?

What do suggest? That we don't bother, as we might fail?

you might notice i never actually said whether we play shit football or not. i was commenting on jons original post that he'd take shit football once we got top 4 or higher

my point was that i wouldnt, coz itd be worthless

why? whats the point?
The point would be that the club and team would be back amongst the very best club sides in the Country. The point would be that it would be a further improvement in the fortunes of the club on the pitch. The point would be that we'd be able to compete, or try to compete in the Champions league (which might be a money spoilt abomination in some ways, but it's still the place where the "elite" clubs get to play) and as a result attract even better players. The point would be that (sadly in a way) we'd earn more money and that would give us a better chance of continues improvement again. The point would be that it would be a return for Randy and MO'N and the players for putting in effort, money, time and thought into what they seek to achieve. But the best point of all is it would make me very happy.

We don't play "shit football" anyway. When we're on form we're exciting to watch, entertaining, scintillating and all those other adjectives.

Like any team, when we're off form, or not quite on form, we're not nearly so enjoyable to watch, but we have gained some resilience to help see us through on those occasions.

But that's just my view. If some people can't see the point, I think that's their loss, personally.

That doesn't make sense. Why would it be worthless?

If this supposed shit football got us into 4th spot, then it shows its very effective and that the vast majority of the league cannot cope with it.

the premier league is pretty poor these days though

We don't play "shit football" anyway. When we're on form we're exciting to watch, entertaining, scintillating and all those other adjectives.

Like any team, when we're off form, or not quite on form, we're not nearly so enjoyable to watch, but we have gained some resilience to help see us through on those occasions.

I don't think we're ever "scintillating". Sometimes we're crudely efficient, and we have three players in Gabby, Young and Carew who are exciting to watch when playing well, but scintillating? No chance. When we're playing well it's all about quick balls out to the wings. When we're not, it's the same tactic which is easily negated when Young is off form, or hoofs up to Carew and Agbonlahor. With the money O'Neill has spent, we shouldn't be outplayed by the likes of Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley, but that's what happened.

I'd love to see somebody who knows a thing or two about coaching football in the way it should be played given the reins at Villa Park, because under O'Neill we're just Leicester with more expensive players.

It's nce to actually have togetherness at Villa as well, which no doubt he's helped with.

Not sure that all of the players feel that together.

MON has done a good job and built a great squad on a limited budget (relative to Citeh, Spurs and three of the top four). He can motivate players, apparently, and they want to come and work with him. He speaks well and is a good ambassador for the club.

But he is woeful at showing any flexibility in his tactics, team or formation. Burnley is the sixth or seventh away game in a row where our front six have just not delivered anything and he sits idly by and does nothing to change it or shake it up. If he hasn't got the options then that is his fault - he has been the manager for long enough now - although I think he has. This is where a good manager should be earning his corn IMO. He should be trying to make things happen.

I can't believe we have had such a poor run and he hasn't even tried a 4-5-1 once, after the comparative record of away games with 4-5-1 vs away games with 4-4-2 over the last 18 months. It might not work but surely it has to be worth a try? I can't believe, if he is playing a 4-4-2, he dropped Nigel after the Bolton game for Stan. I know many think Stan is our best player (I don't, but thats another topic) but it hasn't worked with him in there in a 4-4-2 away from home since January this year so, surely, NRC has to be worth a shot? Fantasy football management i.e. picking your best (or should I say favourite) players will not win us games - we need to find the best team that works for us in a given set of circumstances. Does MON think our away form will just dramatically change after almost a year of poor performances?

Saturday was predictable. Many of us said it would be a poor performance and it was. If we can foresee it why can't a "top 6" manager and try to do something about it.

And before someone says that a point at Burnley is a good point, I am not arguing about that. It is the performances that concerns me and the seeming neverending run of performances at that level.

I'm a fan of MONs, but not so blind that I see no wrong. I agree with alot of what you've said. I do think he deserves most of, if not all, the praise he gets. Like you said, even here with the money he's sent, there's quite a number of teams who've spent more, yet our results are still better. The tactics part is the most frustrating for me. 4-4-2 at home is a must, unless you're playing the big 4 then maybe you should change, but away from home 4-5-1 would work wonders. I wouldn't mind us playing 4-4-2 away and losing every now and then if we were playing well, but we do look terrible at times and it makes it all the more frustrating.

I do think with Downing back it'll change things. No way can he acomodate Carew, Gabby, Young, Milner, Downing, Petrov and Sidwell in a 4-4-2, it's impossible. Unless one of them moves to RB..

Â