Scientific Experiment V2 #5 - MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes he's still the MON
    • No - we need something new

We are lucky to have Martin and there are a lot of clubs that would have him at the drop of a hat.

i do tend to agree with this.

ha makes mistakes, as does every manager, but on the whole, i really do think he is taking us in the right direction ...

I wonder if they are having a similar monthly pole on Fergie or Wenger or even Rafa and Mark Hughes? :oops: We are lucky to have Martin and there are a lot of clubs that would have him at the drop of a hat.

I think there was some discussions among Arsenal fans last winter along similar lines that Wenger had taken them as far as he could. I dont think Villa fans are any worse than at other clubs to be honest

It seems many fans are as deadly as DE.
Why? Only 17 out of 122 (currently) want him out. Thats a 73% majority in favour. Where is the deadliness in that?

The deadliness is in the reasons put forward, for wanting him replaced:

Buying the wrong players, bad playstyle and hunches.

Highly subjective.

Why? Only 17 out of 122 (currently) want him out. Thats a 73% majority in favour. Where is the deadliness in that?

The deadliness is in the reasons put forward, for wanting him replaced:

Buying the wrong players, bad playstyle and hunches.

Highly subjective.

I think Trickie meant that 17 out of 122 was not "many".

i guess it depends on what you class as many. Personally, i still think that is a high for approval rating for MON.

Where was the deadliness in Ellis for that matter? How many of his managers did he actually sack?

We are lucky to have Martin and there are a lot of clubs that would have him at the drop of a hat.

i do tend to agree with this.

I disagree very strongly that we are "lucky" to have him. He's paid a fortune, and has spent a fortune, and if he were to leave/be sacked, there wouldn't be a shortage of high quality managers wanting to take over. All this talk of us being lucky to have him is distinctly small time. The club is far bigger than any one individual.

The Mods must surely have the ability to find out the identity of each and every person who has said no and forcing them to say what manager they would like to see in MON's place. I'd say Roberto Martínez by the way.

love it. Justice. Lets make way for him quick

The Mods must surely have the ability to find out the identity of each and every person who has said no and forcing them to say what manager they would like to see in MON's place. I'd say Roberto Martínez by the way.

love it. Justice. Lets make way for him quick

Spotters badge.

Why would you need a monthly thread about wanting to know if MON should stay or go? It's a bit silly in my opinion, maybe every have this thread every 3 or 4 months where the opinions would be more valued because it's not being done so often.

I don't know if MON is going to ever learn because he still repeats making the same mistakes... it's also annoying when he blasted the fans saying "it's not as easy as playing football manager", no one thinks that, but as fans we can all see the blatant obvious as to what is wrong with the team and there are stats to back that up too. I'm a pretty patient guy and I'm not expecting any miracles from the so-called "Messiah" but I don't think making us play attractive football again, playing 4-5-1 and leaving Shitwell out the team is really a lot to ask.

The forward thinking Martinez has come up with with this amazing defending scheme that doesn't even require defenders to move, keeps them fresh throughout the season. I'm sure under him we wouldn't have totally shit results like 1-1 away vs. Burnley playing the worst football on the planet ever.

Well he did win at Turf moor. Only team this season to win there

Why would you need a monthly thread about wanting to know if MON should stay or go? It's a bit silly in my opinion, maybe every have this thread every 3 or 4 months where the opinions would be more valued because it's not being done so often.

I don't know if MON is going to ever learn because he still repeats making the same mistakes... it's also annoying when he blasted the fans saying "it's not as easy as playing football manager", no one thinks that, but as fans we can all see the blatant obvious as to what is wrong with the team and there are stats to back that up too. I'm a pretty patient guy and I'm not expecting any miracles from the so-called "Messiah" but I don't think making us play attractive football again, playing 4-5-1 and leaving Shitwell out the team is really a lot to ask.

We went 4TH in the premier league at the weekend and we go back there if we win this weekend, what more do you want from MON?

The next step is challenging for the title.

So there blatantly obviously is not actually a lot wrong, is there?

5th in the league is surely the main stat to be looking at?

Not how many times NRC picked his nose during the first half against Burnley while sat on the bench, compared to Petrov who got it wrong and picked his bum instead.

The forward thinking Martinez has come up with with this amazing defending scheme that doesn't even require defenders to move, keeps them fresh throughout the season. I'm sure under him we wouldn't have totally shit results like 1-1 away vs. Burnley playing the worst football on the planet ever.

Well he did win at Turf moor. Only team this season to win there

Didn't notice that :oops:

Well can we at least hire him after we've played the Spurs then..

People are acting like 10 year olds on here.

I come on here to have a bit of Football banter and all it is is bickering like little girls, absolutely ridiculous.

You may not have thought of this: start a new thread about something you want to have some banter about, and see if people want to say anything on it.

IMO MON is one of the most overrated managers of all time and this goes back to his Leicester and Celtic days. The hype he gets from British press is a joke especially when at Celtic. Souness and Smith have better SPL records than him but they dont get as much hype.

He has done a good job at Villa but anybody could have after the DOL reign of terror but to say we are lucky to have him is going way overboard

IMO MON is one of the most overrated managers of all time and this goes back to his Leicester and Celtic days. The hype he gets from British press is a joke especially when at Celtic. Souness and Smith have better SPL records than him but they dont get as much hype.

He has done a good job at Villa but anybody could have after the DOL reign of terror but to say we are lucky to have him is going way overboard

Ovr-rated at Leicester? Give me a break, what he did there was outstanding, I'm sure there aren't many people who could've done that kind of thing. Nout to spend, gets promoted, finishes in the top half in his 4 years in the Prem with them, 3 cups finals, winning 2. That's without mentioning his Wycombe days. Isn't he one of Celtics most succesful managers ever, anyways? Says alot when you consider how much Celtic have won over the years, even moreso that it was a 1 horse race when he went up there.

I think we're really lucky to have him. It's nce to actually have togetherness at Villa as well, which no doubt he's helped with.

It's nce to actually have togetherness at Villa as well, which no doubt he's helped with.

Not sure that all of the players feel that together.

MON has done a good job and built a great squad on a limited budget (relative to Citeh, Spurs and three of the top four). He can motivate players, apparently, and they want to come and work with him. He speaks well and is a good ambassador for the club.

But he is woeful at showing any flexibility in his tactics, team or formation. Burnley is the sixth or seventh away game in a row where our front six have just not delivered anything and he sits idly by and does nothing to change it or shake it up. If he hasn't got the options then that is his fault - he has been the manager for long enough now - although I think he has. This is where a good manager should be earning his corn IMO. He should be trying to make things happen.

I can't believe we have had such a poor run and he hasn't even tried a 4-5-1 once, after the comparative record of away games with 4-5-1 vs away games with 4-4-2 over the last 18 months. It might not work but surely it has to be worth a try? I can't believe, if he is playing a 4-4-2, he dropped Nigel after the Bolton game for Stan. I know many think Stan is our best player (I don't, but thats another topic) but it hasn't worked with him in there in a 4-4-2 away from home since January this year so, surely, NRC has to be worth a shot? Fantasy football management i.e. picking your best (or should I say favourite) players will not win us games - we need to find the best team that works for us in a given set of circumstances. Does MON think our away form will just dramatically change after almost a year of poor performances?

Saturday was predictable. Many of us said it would be a poor performance and it was. If we can foresee it why can't a "top 6" manager and try to do something about it.

And before someone says that a point at Burnley is a good point, I am not arguing about that. It is the performances that concerns me and the seeming neverending run of performances at that level.

The hype he gets from British press is a joke especially when at Celtic. Souness and Smith have better SPL records than him but they dont get as much hype.

Celtic had won 1 League title and 3 cups in the 12 years before O'Neill became manager, Rangers completely dominated Scottish football by some distance. In the 4 years O'Neill was manager they won 3 League Titles, 4 Cups and reached the UEFA final. The squad he left for Strachan continued to dominate Scottish football after O'Neill left. You can belittle the league (yes it's shit) but nobody with any clue about the game, would brush away his achievements up there. The same goes for Leicester. You either have no idea what you are talking about or are just bitter. The people who hype O'Neill are former players and professional football pundits and most of the time I think they know what they are talking about.

Burnley is the sixth or seventh away game in a row where our front six have just not delivered anything and he sits idly by and does nothing to change it or shake it up.

Sorry but this is rubbish. I almost feel compelled to ask "Do you go to games/watch them?" but I won't bother.

Wolves away. MON brings Heskey on. Heskey assists, Gabby scores.

Everton away. MON brings Carew on at half-time, Carew scores.

Burnley away. MON brings Heskey on, Heskey scores.

Those are 3 just off the top of my head.

Â