LC: Portsmouth a Match Thread 2009/12/01 19:45

limpid

If we want some silverware and European football next season, without the pre-season bollocks, then this is the cup to win.

1-2 to us and we should march on, all depends what Martin sends out. Pompey will be up for it, ad we need to match them on their patch.

Some dates you might like...or is this bad luck?

1st semi final w/c 4 January.

2nd semi final w/c 18 January.

Final at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 28th February.

I'm sorry but MON can have no excuses if we don't win this. I don't want to come across over-confident but they've got three key players missing for them (O'Hara, Boateng and someone else, forgot his name) and even though Pompey's performances have not warranted them being bottom of the league, they don't have that winning mentality yet so we should be taking advantage of it. If we can make it though to the semi's and avoid Chelsea, we've got such an oppotunity to win this compeition... not to say Arsenal, Citeh or United wouldn't be hard, but I think we can turn them over in two-legs whereas Chelsea are just too strong for anyone right now. If we play a strong side, we should be winning this and I'd play this team...

Guzan

Beye - Dunne - Cuellar - L.Young

Reo-Coker - Delph

Milner - Ash Young - Downing

Gabby

We'll probably end up with a 4-4-2 with Heskey and Sidwell in the side though :(

we will win, but won't score mroe than 2. It'll be a massive grind though. More laborious football as they slog their way just about into the semi finals, whereupon we'll be smashed to pieces by a side who can play football. but hey ho for the massive kudos of achieving league cup semi final status tonight, come on you villa.

This is what I think MON will go with tonight

---------------------Guzan ---------------------

--Beye--------Cuellar--------Dunne----Warnock----

Milner-----Sidwell/Delph-------Petrov------Young

-------------------Heskey Gabby-------------

Avram Grant said league is priority so will probably play a weakened side. No excuses if he does.

Leaving soon gonna have a breakfast at Wetherspoons first then off to Portsmouth

I think they have about 4 cup tied players as it is.

Avram Grant said league is priority so will probably play a weakened side. No excuses if he does.

Leaving soon gonna have a breakfast at Wetherspoons first then off to Portsmouth

I think they have about 4 cup tied players as it is.

Do not belive this is a bonus to us as initialy thought. In previous rounds they have scored 11 goals with a mainly reserve side with no James in goal or the cup tied group and Dindane only played two rounds so far. We may be find a first string team less likey to play better than the reserves who want to impress. They hit a weakend Stoke at home 4-0 last round with the reserves so we have to be at our best.

If villa want it they need to graps it.

Wont be easy as we havnt played well in this competition for years!! We played appalling at Sunderland, save for a a greta display from Guzan. Its about time we started dominating teams in these games. Pompey will be up for it, we need to be first to the ball and close them down quckly. I imagine Heskey will start so hope he plays with the determination he showed against Spurs on the weekend.

we will win, but won't score mroe than 2. It'll be a massive grind though. More laborious football as they slog their way just about into the semi finals, whereupon we'll be smashed to pieces by a side who can play football. but hey ho for the massive kudos of achieving league cup semi final status tonight, come on you villa.

I agree, God forbid we play 'a team that can actually play football' in the league, like a Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City or Spurs, we'll get smashed. Oh, wait..

I agree, God forbid we play 'a team that can actually play football' in the league, like a Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City or Spurs, we'll get smashed. Oh, wait..

God forbid we play some shit teams like, Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley and look just as average. Oh wait...

:bang:

this is gonna not be easy at all and im worried that i could be in a bad depressed mood come tomorrow morning.

I hate going out of cups especially when its a quarter final and its our best chance of getting to wembley in a while. we'll see though...

come on villa!!!!

Portsmouth

21 Ashdown

03 Kaboul

18 Vanden Borre

39 Belhadj

06 Mullins

11 Brown

32 Yebda (Mokoena 63)

35 Wilson

09 Piquionne

19 Webber (Kanu 68)

24 Dindane (Hughes 77)

Team that beat Stoke last round.

I've got this nagging horid feeling we will get turned over tonight. I would love us to get to wembley, the final is a week before i get married so what a 2nd stag wkend that will be. I thought Heskey did well when he came on Sat and he played and scored here last year so i'm going for him to start and us to nick it 2-1. I'd like to see Fabian Delph given a go as i hear NRC is struggling. So presuming Warnock is feeling better i'd go with

Guzan

Warnock

Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Delph

Petrov

A.Young

Milner

Gabby

Heskey

SUBS: Downing, Carew, Clark, Delfouneso, Friedel, Gardner, Sidwell

Well, Avram Grant is a decent manager, but he's not Paul Daniels. They are a poor, poor side and although that doesn't always translate to a win for us, we really should still beat them 2 or 3.