LC: Portsmouth a Match Thread 2009/12/01 19:45

limpid

I think we are going to lose, I've tried to fight it but I just have this feeling we are going to go down there and get turned over and set them off on a decent run.

I would certainly depending on the fitness of Downing be tempted to 'rest' Young for this one given his current form or lack there of.

We've got to win this. Don't fancy the trip back in the middle of the night after losing!!

I think we'll win. They've got cup tied players and our away support should be rocking. So up for this.

A win down there could potentially set us off on a good run as it could give us the confidence we seem to be lacking. Will be very tough - watching Pompey against manure the other day they seemed half-decent and not as bad as people may think. Also its Avram Grants first game in charge so this usually means new manager = win. Hope we prove that theory wrong. We've sold out our away allocation which on a tuesday ngith in Portsmouth is excellent. Hope the fans do us proud with plety of singing to get behind the boys!! That would help spur the team on to victory hopefully!!

Guzan

Beye

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

Gardner

Delph

Sidwell

Young

Gabby

Heskey

That midfield has no chance. Gardner & Sidwell for me aint strong enough or creative. Delph is to reckless with tackling he is one tackle away from being a red card risk.

Pompey have O'Hare & Prince Boetang cup tied. Too much at stake now to put weak midfield out. This is one step from semi final not 3rd round.

Given our poor showing with spurs home in midifield. If we blow this playing weak midfield with Pompey forced into changes we will look stupid.

Warnock back if recovered from illness. And Luke young at right back.

Beye may be rested on bench as he had a stern test on sat with spuds. played well though with crouch on his back.

Reo must be doubtfull now after knee injury on sat.

Cannot see him resting Milner.

Might rest Ash and start with Downing.

Collins will not be risked as Dunne & Cuellar doing fine.

Really looking forward to this.

Forget the league, forget everything. This is the cup. Win this game and we're in the Semi Final's.

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYS!!!

Glad to see you have a through understand of both the difference between league and cup and what happen's if you win a Quarter final. :winkold:

Jez - I agree Young deserves to lose his place but it really depends on how fit Downing is and I doubt he is up to that yet.

This is it.

This is so uberimportant, why, we can win this, this cup has Villa written all the way through it like a stick of Blackpool rock's got Blackpool written through it.

Victory over Pompey and a good performance is a must, MON must put out our best side.

Said it before the Spurs game....Gabby if you read stuff like this.....goals please, loads of them this time as we all want to see you walk out at Wembley and leave speed marks in that hallowed turf.

This really really really should be an easy win for us and take us into the Semis.

I can't see this being anything but a very tough game. We may win, but I'd be very surprised if it is easy.

Given Portsmouth's inability to take chances, and Villa's inability to create them, I wouldn't be surprised to see us win on penalties again after another 0-0 draw.

If that happens, we would quite remarkably be in the semi-finals despite having scored only one goal in the competition, and having failed to score in almost five and a half hours' play since Gabby's third minute goal against Cardiff.

Wouldn't be very impressive, but I'd still take that :) .

Think Portsmouth will be taking this very seriously, at home, new manager, only competition with any chance this season, its going to be a battle and one not to relax about, we must go for this IMO, plus we need a good game and a good win.