PL: Spurs h Match Thread 2009/11/28 17:30

limpid

This is pathetic to be honest. They win one game 9-1 and suddenly everyone thinks they are world beaters. Complete joke! We beat Bolton 5-1 a few weeks back, or have you all forgot that?

We can beat Spurs and I'm going for 2-1 to us. Sure, they may be on form. I know for a fact that we are capable of bursting their bubble though. We are just as good, if not better. Chin up and lets get behind the lads. Spurs hav a weak back four and we can exploit that. Of course we need to be up for it. I think we will be for this one though as it it a big match. UTV!

Agreed. while they have scored lots of goal, againts poor defences,

They scrapped past SHA 2-1. drew with mighty bolton 2-2. Beat mighty Preston & Doncaster carling cup 5-1. Stoke who can defend they lost 1-0.

And as they say in black adder the lasting turd in the water bowl is when they come up against the quality status quo in top 4 the got rear ended by Chelsea, utd & lay down and thought of england at Arsenal.

And Titus (flying pig bramble) & look at my hair do Scharner took the day off and they are world beaters, i think not.

When Barca , Real, Milan, Chelsea, utd, Inter, Bayern, Juve, get done 9-1 by spuds drop me a pm.

Just like my villa, everton & Citeh, spuds are the big pretenders to the top 4 until we all prove consistant.

P.S my advice to all posting there prefered side forget Collins, you need to keep up to date with todays post by MON on his groin injury. You can take it he is not going to make it.

He is too important to risk long term injury. Hope he is back for Pompey next tues.

I think he has been the main reason for our solid defence.

Nothing i can add to that!..

Quality post!..

WalmleyVilla wrote:

Quote:

We need to combat their midfield, I think 4-5-1 possibly for this one.

Could not agree more.

We need to approach this match like we did the Chelsea and Citeh games. Anything less will not do. Luckily, I can't make this game - like I missed the Bolton game - so we'll probably win.

We played 4-4-2 against Citeh and Chelsea...

Sorry, I didn't mean that we should necessarily play 4-5-1 against Spurs. I meant we should play with the same fight and determination that we showed against Citeh and Chelsea. My apologies if that didn't come across. :)

I think Ashley Young could be the key player. He has had the better of Corluka the 2 times he played 90 minutes against him last season...

At VP he played against Zokora for half an hour and blitzed him. Zokora was then taken off after half an hour to be replaced by Corluka who had Young in his back pocket for the rest of the game.

We need to play this sort of on the counter attack I feel, I'd like to see NRC restored possibly next to Delph and Petrov. Delph given more of a free license, I reckon Warnock can take Lennon, I also think if we play on the break more it will give more opportunities for Young, with Lennon on the right, he will be pushed high forward so if we break up the attacks and get it wide early to Young, he can run 1 on 1 at Corluka. I'd say Corluka would have the better of him in normal situations where the ball is played wide and Corluka is already tight but if we can get Young running at Corluka, I think he'd cause him problems. Dawson aswell isn't the quickest and if we can release Agbonlahor on the shoulder of Dawson we could have some joy.

So Hanky as I said the last 2 times he has played 90 minutes (that'll be a whole game) against Corluka he's took him to pieces!

First off while playing Man City - he helped us in a 4-2 victory claiming an assist.

When he played against Corluka in White Hart Lane he tore him to pieces scoring in the process. A little quote to sum it up:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/1692561/Tottenham-1-Aston-Villa-2.html

"Corluka was awful and you have to hope for Tottenham's sake it was a one-off. The Croat was pulled out of position, exposed for pace by Ashley Young"

Well done at clutching at straws though :cheers:

Transcript from conversation with Spurs fan

me: you might even get to see what downing could have done for your team

Mark: hmmm, no better then Niko

12:13 AM we dont have Darren Bent this time

Modric might be back for that match

say we were to won 1-0

12:14 AM I'd be sickened

after yesterdays exploits

me: go on

Mark: ya know

after a 9-1 thrasing

ah we can only win by a goal now?

where's Jermaines 5 goals?

12:15 AM me: our defence might put up a better fight than a figueroaless Wigan

Mark: possibly

12:16 AM me: and spurs are a shadow of themselves away from the lane

12:18 AM Mark: yea

just like at the KC stadium

and Fratton Park

12:19 Upton Park

12:20 AM me: they're not the best teams

12:21 AM all in the bottom 5 of the league?

Mark: still tricky places

me: tricky places? they're near the bottom of the league. They can't be that tricky

12:22 AM are you saying fratton park is a tricky place

and the kc

Mark: You'd be relaxed about going to Upton Park?

me: that's only one

tricky places?

pointless pompey

Mark: So Fratton Park is in no way of a banana skin

at all

12:23 AM me: you played them when they were pointless

We could do with having 5 in midfield with Petrov and Reo-Coker behind Milner, Young and either Delph or Downing but i think that Big John is essential in this game so we've got someone who can get amongst the spurs centre backs and put them under pressure.

Yes, it’s the old 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 dilemma. But why not try to have the best of both worlds by opting for a novel 4-5-2 formation?

How does that work? Well, we start the game in 4-4-2 without Sidwell, then after a couple of minutes artificially provoke a stoppage in play (beach balls in the goalmouth, cat on the pitch, streaker, etc.) and take advantage of the distraction to sneak Sidwell onto the field before play resumes. The “Invisible Man” is sure to go unnoticed while at the same time doing all the invaluable “off the ball” work he is frequently credited with.

If we still struggle with twelve men, the final roll of the dice would be to bring Heskey on in place of Sidwell, and then sneak Sidwell back on again a minute or two later. We would then be able to finish the match playing a theoretically strong 4-5-3 formation.

After that, if the thirteen players now on the pitch still can’t do the job, I guess it would just be time to conclude that we’re actually a bit crap...

... they have scored lots of goal, againts poor defences,

They scrapped past SHA 2-1. drew with mighty bolton 2-2. Beat mighty Preston & Doncaster carling cup 5-1. Stoke who can defend they lost 1-0.

And as they say in black adder the lasting turd in the water bowl is when they come up against the quality status quo in top 4 the got rear ended by Chelsea, utd & lay down and thought of england at Arsenal.

Anyone reading your "summary" - and not knowing the actual league table - would be amazed to discover that Spurs are just 3 points off 2nd place, despite having already played 4 games against last season's top 4 clubs.

I guess you must imagine that Spurs have just luckily stumbled into this position. I'd say instead that the way Spurs usually set out to play - attacking football with a line-up of mostly attack-minded, capable players - means that although we'll get badly beaten here and there, we'll also stand a good chance of picking up all 3 points in plenty of other games.

The key for Villa, City, Spurs and Liverpool - in the race for 4th - is not so much how many games they lose from here on, but rather more how many games they win (as distinct from just drawing).

The key for Villa, City, Spurs and Liverpool - in the race for 4th - is not so much how many games they lose from here on, but rather more how many games they win (as distinct from just drawing).

True.

This is where we need to be better, we have to win a few games against 'weaker' opposition away from home.

True.

This is where we need to be better, we have to win a few games against 'weaker' opposition away from home.

As an aside, I don't consider Arsenal to be guaranteed of their top 4 place either. Only United and Chelsea can claim that, and whilst Arsenal would be favourites to finish third (not least for their ability to, as you say, win and not draw games), I see it as a five way race for two spots rather than a four way for one.

Yes but despite the fact I misread it, still disproves the theory doesn't it? You're only as good as you're last game.

Sorry, don't agree with that either. If Man United win 37 games in a row and lose the 38th does that mean they're no good?! :winkold:

Back to the point over a 90 minute football match Young will be all over Corluka. He's so slow and clumsy I expect him to have a field day!

Back to the point over a 90 minute football match Young will be all over Corluka. He's so slow and clumsy I expect him to have a field day!

Don't remember him doing this last year after, I think it was, Corluka replaced Zokora who he did roast?

I think Spurs are a good side.

Not sure about their keeper - he can make mistakes but so can Brad (see the Burnley goal). I think Young is better than all of their right backs. Warnock is at least as good as Assou Ekotto (?). Our CB pairing is better than theirs, although I think Woodgate is awesome. They just never seem to be able to get a run as a pair.

Out wide Lennon and Krankjar are a good match for Young and Milner and probably a slightly better balance.

Up front Carew and Gabby again are probably on a par with Crouch and Defoe IF Carew turns up and wants to play and that is a big if this season.

CM is a key area and I think the energy of Palacios with the guile and strength of Huddlestone could be too much for Stan and Sidders. Equally, there are a lot of similarities with Chelsea's Essien and Lampard who didn't seem to run in beyond Stan and exploit his lack of energy to cover back. I'm hoping for the return of Nigel to give us more energy in here but can't see it. I think this is a key area and could see it going either way.

I just hope MON is prepared to be a bit radical with his substitutions (and I don't mean bringing Heskey on or taking full backs off) if we are struggling to get into our stride otherwise it could be a very frustrating early evening.