PL: Spurs h Match Thread 2009/11/28 17:30

limpid

We need to combat their midfield, I think 4-5-1 possibly for this one.

Could not agree more.

We need to approach this match like we did the Chelsea and Citeh games. Anything less will not do. Luckily, I can't make this game - like I missed the Bolton game - so we'll probably win. :winkold:

We need to combat their midfield, I think 4-5-1 possibly for this one.

Could not agree more.

We need to approach this match like we did the Chelsea and Citeh games. Anything less will not do. Luckily, I can't make this game - like I missed the Bolton game - so we'll probably win. :winkold:

We played 4-4-2 against Citeh and Chelsea...

This is the bloody problem, we should not be combating, we should take the game to them, We need to lift the roof on this one. I'm not really afraid of there centre midfield with Palacios and Huddlestone, their threats come down the flanks and the movement of Defoe. Let Downing, Milner and Young at them.

Is Downing really 'ready' to be back this quick starting a PL match though? He'll make a sub appearence I think, but I don't think MON will risk it too early. If he is ready to play, we'll be ripping Spurs' defence to pieces if we play Downing, Milner and Young all that the same time lol.

We need revenge after how we dominated and outplayed Spuds at home last season... but still lost, we need to make sure we win this and not lose anymore ground.

I really hate Spuds and their fans. I want to win this game more than I want us to beat manure , and I REALLY want us to beat manure.

Unfortunately, and here's one for my fans, I think I am in for a disappointing weekend as we lose 3-0 and the Spuds wankfest rolls on

Milner and Young haven't been ripping any defences to pieces so far, bar one match against an extremely poor Bolton defence, not sure why the addition of one player will make such a radical difference. Downing isn't god. he might give us a boost, when he's match fit, but he's not going to be suddenly carving up defences all on his lonesome.

We will battle, spurs will pass and create, we will defend whilst they will force the pace. If we get lucky we could nick it by a goal, after soaking up all the pressure, not bothering to play any football ourselves except in brief energetic bursts at 20 minute intervals.

I'm a bit surprised that some of you are so pessimistic.

You'll be playing at home. You have a much better defence and team than Wigan, and will pose a much greater attacking threat.

Spurs won't get the enormous amounts of time and space that Wigan gave them. Warnock won't be as inadequate as Wigan's Edman was against Lennon. Huddlestone won't be so easily allowed to spray passes around (and nor will Kranjcar) and Spurs are unlikely to be so easily allowed to play fluid, attacking football.

I'm expecting a fairly cagey game, partly because both sides know that a loss will count for a lot in this particular match. So I don't see Spurs opting for a very attacking aproach as this would be too risky given the stakes, the fact we'll be away from home and given Villa's reputation as a counter-attacking style of team.

In fact, I won't be surprised if Spurs sit back somewhat and play a counter-attacking style themselves, relying on the pace of Lennon and Defoe to catch you on the break. Apart from anything else, Harry will know that a draw suits Spurs more than Villa and that, as the home team, the onus will be on you to bring the game to us.

If we're going to win this the midfield has got to really step up and be uber combative, not give spurs a secong on the ball and Warncok is going to have to have support against Lennon. We could do with having 5 in midfield with Petrov and Reo-Coker behind Milner, Young and either Delph or Downing but i think that Big John is essential in this game so we've got someone who can get amongst the spurs centre backs and put them under pressure.

I'd go

Friedel

Warnock

L.Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Milner (playing left mid to help out Warnock)

A. Young (wide right drifting into the centre)

Petrov

Reo-Coker (sitting infront of the back four, hassling Huddlestone)

Gabby (going wide right if we're under the cosh)

John

It's going to be a tough game and spurs will score. Im going 1-2 Spurs.

What's with all this negative posts? This isn't Man United... it's Tottenham Hotspurs ffs.

Even though negative posts before certain matches i.e Citeh and Chelsea have resulted in good results, I just don't understand why some just feel the need to be so negative when there's nothing really to be negative about. There's no reason why we can't beat Spurs 3-0 and move back into 4th, so lets just look at the positives and not let ourselves get brainwashed into thinking all this Spurs hype.

This is pathetic to be honest. They win one game 9-1 and suddenly everyone thinks they are world beaters. Complete joke! We beat Bolton 5-1 a few weeks back, or have you all forgot that?

We can beat Spurs and I'm going for 2-1 to us. Sure, they may be on form. I know for a fact that we are capable of bursting their bubble though. We are just as good, if not better. Chin up and lets get behind the lads. Spurs hav a weak back four and we can exploit that. Of course we need to be up for it. I think we will be for this one though as it it a big match. UTV!

I fancy us to beat Spurs. Interesting to see what team MON puts out. I would go with the Bolton side but he will never drop Stan. Having said this, I can see Stan having a decent game against Spurs as they are a footballing side that will play 4-4-2 and don't really have a CM that will get in behind him like Ireland did for Citeh. I think our front 4 can dominate their defence whilst our defence is good enough to nullify their front 4. My only concern is our CM.

What's with all the Spurs hatred? I, like most Villa fans, dislike Redknob, but apart from that I like Spurs. Always look to play good football and are good to watch. I would take them over our other rivals every day as one of my favourite other teams.

What's with all the Spurs hatred? I, like most Villa fans, dislike Redknob, but apart from that I like Spurs. Always look to play good football and are good to watch. I would take them over our other rivals every day as one of my favourite other teams.

Their delusional fans, all the hype the media give them, thinking that they're the "Pride of London", David Bentley, their arrogance, thinking they have the devine right to be a 'big club' and successful.

I disliked Spurs anyway even before Dirty 'Arry took over the helm, but 'Arry being their manager made it into more of a 'hatred' thing like I have for SHA, Man United, Citeh and Liverpool.

We have just as much of a chance of seeing the Tottenham that got **** raped by Arsenal 3 weeks ago or the one that lost one-nil at home to Stoke a week before that than the Tottenham that beat Wigan on Sunday. If John Carew and Ashley Young turn up we can beat them no problem especially if our defense stays solid. I'm going with a 2-0 Villa win.

I just hope that dirty melted faced cretin doesn't get his players fired up on the abuse he'll receive from our fans.

This is pathetic to be honest. They win one game 9-1 and suddenly everyone thinks they are world beaters. Complete joke! We beat Bolton 5-1 a few weeks back, or have you all forgot that?

We can beat Spurs and I'm going for 2-1 to us. Sure, they may be on form. I know for a fact that we are capable of bursting their bubble though. We are just as good, if not better. Chin up and lets get behind the lads. Spurs hav a weak back four and we can exploit that. Of course we need to be up for it. I think we will be for this one though as it it a big match. UTV!

Agreed. while they have scored lots of goal, againts poor defences,

They scrapped past SHA 2-1. drew with mighty bolton 2-2. Beat mighty Preston & Doncaster carling cup 5-1. Stoke who can defend they lost 1-0.

And as they say in black adder the lasting turd in the water bowl is when they come up against the quality status quo in top 4 the got rear ended by Chelsea, utd & lay down and thought of england at Arsenal.

And Titus (flying pig bramble) & look at my hair do Scharner took the day off and they are world beaters, i think not.

When Barca , Real, Milan, Chelsea, utd, Inter, Bayern, Juve, get done 9-1 by spuds drop me a pm.

Just like my villa, everton & Citeh, spuds are the big pretenders to the top 4 until we all prove consistant.

P.S my advice to all posting there prefered side forget Collins, you need to keep up to date with todays post by MON on his groin injury. You can take it he is not going to make it.

He is too important to risk long term injury. Hope he is back for Pompey next tues.

I think he has been the main reason for our solid defence.