Powerful or Popular?

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Which would you rather be?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather be?

• Powerful
    • Popular

Poll please, not sure why I've come up with this question, just randomally popped up.

Be a powerful man who people have respect for, fairly rich, people do things for you that you ask them too, hot girl to go with it, but don't really have any true friends and not exactly very popular. (I guess your typical Bad guy on a movie, who brings drugs into the country and what not)

Or average pay, average house sorta person but very friendly and a great group of friends and very popular with everyone, noone really dislikes you.

Which lifestyle....

Hmmm. I don't particulalry aspire to be either.

The pursuit of either can be very dangerous IMO.

aspiring to be all powerful = someone like Saddam Hussein, or Tony Blair

aspiring to be all popular = someone like Katie Price, or indeed any associated with today's "celebrity" culture.

I'll pass on both.

maslow_hierarchy.gif

People only crave power and respect when they are satisfied with their friendship, or popularity. If power came with no friends, people in general wouldn't want it. But, as kurtsimonw pointed out, if you're happy with a few or no friends then your friendship needs are satisfied so you are happy with the power.

I'd choose popularity, assuming that the power would give me less friends than I desired.

Until I read the post I thought it would be a difficult choice - where "popular" meant like a celebrity, recognised in the street everywhere, etc. Which I would hate, but would probably still take over power, which undoubtedly corrupts (and would be very miserable without friends).

But as you've couched it "average pay, average house sorta person but very friendly and a great group of friends and very popular with everyone, noone really dislikes you" it's a no-brainer, popular. In fact that pretty much describes the life I do have, and I enjoy it. Whereas I have never had the slightest desire for power.

Â