Could you change that team for the next game?

barry'sboots

Could you change that team for the next game?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Could you change that team for the next game?

• Changes for the Burnley game?
    • Keep the same team?

Petrov and NRC are both defensive, it won't work!

I think it would work well. Petrov has the ability to be a good attacking midfielder, it's just that when he plays next to Sidwell, he (Petrov) has to do all the donkey work, while Sidwell isn't doing much.

I disagree, Petrov is not an attacking midfielder. He had Barry next to him last year, so don't blame Sidwell.

Haven't seen much from the NRC knockers in this thread. One chance in his rightful position (in the last 18 months!) and all of those knockers who say he gives away possession all the time are seemingly accepting that he deserves that DCM role. So it seems, at last IMO, that on this thread we are all looking at NRC + 1 or 2?? For me you can't change that pairing if you stick to the principles of play well, retain your position. I also think that, if we are playing 4-4-2 NRC and Sidders are the more complimentary pairing. High energy, hard working and, when necessary, interchangeable (Sidders covered when NRC made his driving runs). As a pairing I believe that they form a better launchpad for our attacking four - their hard working approach allows more freedom for the wingers to push on. I also think that Petrov slows our game down a bit with his claimed "better retention" as he always turns back and this gives the opposition a chance to re-group.

If MON does revert to Petrov for the Burnley game I will personally be really disappointed. I, like a few on VT, have been calling for a look at an NRC/Sidders combo and got a lot of stick for what this would deprive us of ball retention. A number said that this was just ifs and buts and hypothetical because they had never played an Premier League game together. Yesterday destroyed both of these arguments. And Bolton were only crap because we made them look crap. They were higher in the league than Wolves, Blackburn and Wet Spam until yesterday. Those calling for a NRC/Petrov combo, I will repeat what was thrown at me - this is just ifs and buts and hypothetical whereas we now know NRC and Sidders works! On a more serious note, I don't Stan has the mobility to play that attacking role in a 4-4-2. We do still need Stan though, as the high energy game of Sidders meant that he was tiring with 20-30 minutes left and, in a more competitive game, should have been subbed earlier IMO. I enjoyed seeing Delph come on but was disappointed that this wasn't for longer and that he wasn't given a chance to play with NRC and see what he could do with an experienced hard working DCM as opposed to Gardner, who has gone backwards IMO.

Similar with Carlos who did well yesterday. Collins is unlucky to have missed a game when he has been arguably MOTM the last few games but this is the sort of pressure that I want to see with our squad - play well you stay in but screw up and there is now real talent sitting on the bench waiting to take your place. However, whilst I would be disappointed for Carlos this would be less so than the CM'ers as the defence has actually been playing consistently well over the last 4 or 5 games unlike the front 6.

I don't think it makes that much difference - all our centre mids are of similar quality IMO. We could have had those Irish eejit twins off the X Factor in the middle of the park yesterday with our 'front four' playing as well as they did.

Carew looked interested, Ash started looking like the player he can be and Milner and Gabby continued their consistent campaign for player of the season. That, and the fact that it was Bolton, was why we murdered them.

If Petrov had played instead of either NRC or Sidders I can't see how we would have faired worse. As long as they can win the ball, and give it to someone who is playing well enough to make a difference in the final third with a quality cross, run, lay-off, shot etc then that's all they need to do.

I'd bring Collins back

Petrov is a much better player than Sidwell so I'd like to see if Petrov and Coker playing in the middle together would work. Atleast give it a chance? If it doesn't work out, fine, but if it does, brilliant, but I think we should atleast try and test it.

Petrov=

peacock.jpg

All show without doing anything.

You forgot the crab like movement and 360 turn he alwasy does when he recieves the ball under pressure. Petrov is a luxury who should only play in a 5 man midfield. When it comes to unlocking defences he doesn't come close to Barry or Berger for that matter.

Petrov is a much better player than Sidwell so I'd like to see if Petrov and Coker playing in the middle together would work. Atleast give it a chance? If it doesn't work out, fine, but if it does, brilliant, but I think we should atleast try and test it.

I, and a few others, have been calling for NRC and Sidders to get a chance after their Peace Cup pairing and some of the shocking performances this year. A number of VT'ers came back and said that was a crap idea, that the two couldn't retain the ball without Stan, that the Peace Cup was a joke and that this selection was hypothetical.

Well, we have had last had the chance to see it and it worked well - much better than any performance in the last month or so?

I saw one post that it was all about the front 4 and that anybody could have played in that CM yesterday. I think this is very wrong. NRC and Sidders provide a hard working platform that allows the wingers to go out and do their stuff.

I would be really disappointed if MON tampers with the CM to accomodate Stan after Saturday's performance. Confidence must be up.

I would stick with NRC/Sidwell and Carlos at the back. On the basis that I would not change a winning team, however IMO MON will change it and Petrov and Collins will be back.

I enjoyed watching NRC and Sidwell play against Bolton and they did well, but this does not make either of them a better passer of the ball than Petrov, and thats not to say Petrov is a playmaker, he is not, but he is better at it than either Sidwell or NRC IMO.

What NRC gives us that Petrov does not, IMO, is an effective captain, very vocal and enthusiastic and this may be the deciding factor in who would play for me.

I would however bet that MON picks Sidwell /Petrov and brings Collins back if fit, wonder if he will then move Carlos out to the right and drop L Young?

NRC did well. I still think he's a rather limited player and still would be one of the first players you'd probably look to get shot of to move onto better things, but yes he has games where he proves his worth and Saturday was one of them. He provides bite and energy, but not much else.

Keep Luke in definitely. We were much more balanced with him in the team. His distribution looked good and he found Carew with several diagonal balls out of defence which I think contrributed to Big John's improved performance.

We looked quite a nice well balanced side against Bolton. I would change a few things though :-

Collins > Cueller

Delph > Sidwell

Would not change anything else.

Sidwell's performance's do not do enough for me to earn another run out, prefer him as sub currently as with Petrov.

I would possibly keep the same side for the burnley game, as we are away, and will not Coker's industry and engine.

stanley to return for the home game with spirs though, definitely, although i do like coker.

i'm just not sure coker and stan as a CM 2 would work too well ...

Bolton aren't great but they are no worse than Wet Spam, Wolves and Blackburn?

All of which we played away from home. End of discussion? Petrov will surely return to the side because MON thinks he is the best defensive midfielder in the world.

:crylaugh:

IMO, it would send out the wrong signal if Petrov walks back into the team.

Agreed, and if it was NRC who got dropped i think that would be the last we've seen of him and i wouldn't blame him. NRC isn't the most gifted player but he's more of a leader than Petrov who isn't captain material, he isn't fit enough to run for 90 minutes let alone be captain.

I think I'd have to bring Collins back, but it would be harsh to drop Cuellar as i'd want to keep Young at RB. NRC deserves to keep his spot, could possibly swap Sidwell for Delph maybe?

That being said, were we to put out the same team I'd have no problem with it at all.

Petrov is quality no doubt and i still think if he had played on sat against bolton outcome owuld of been the same! HOWEVER thats football, a team does well whil your away, tough luck you have to bide your time to get back in! Thats the nature of the game! Same with Collins as well IMO! Although he has been immense so far this year he should have to wait too! Same team for me, if there was one thing that was brilliant about sat is that warnock and young at full backs were supporting the wingers giving them more room and being a threat! Viva le Warnock and L Young!

Â