Are we expecting too much ?

smetrov

Can we go any Further under MON ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Can we go any Further under MON ?

• He's done his best - but I don't see any further progress
    • We are improving year on year - MON can take us higher

Ive a few concerns myself

1. Heskey- MON has to stop playing his son he is just not good enough. Makes Vassell look devastating

2.Style of play is awful we are mind numbingly boring to watch and i can put up with that if we are winning but we arent.

3. We need a Wow player. somebody that can turn draws into wins in a second like Paul Merson. e.g Pablo Aimar

4. To say nobody as good as MON out there would be interested is stupid look at Jol, Houllier, Mancini, Bilic, McLaren(great job in Holland) Moyes and i even think Pulis(considering budgets) is a better manager than MoN

Of course O'Neill can take us further and I believe he's the man that can take us to 'top 4' destiny... but what's stopping us from achieving that goal is poor team-selections week-in-week-out, not dropping certain player's who offer ZERO to the team and **** around with the formation. No Villans are expecting too much, we just don't understand why O'Neill is ruining our chances of winning something and breaking into the 'elusive' top 4.

Until O'Neill eradicate's all those horrible habits, we won't be progressing much further as we have in the last two years. Simples as that really.

Partially agree with this. I think we could break in to the top 4. I am not necessarily expecting us to but I think we could.

I thought we could have last season. MON and the team got us into a tremendous position but then MON blew it, IMO, by his poor team selections and tactics. There are numerous examples of this - going to Plop with a 4-4-2 when they were on fire, not bringing Stan of or supplementing him in games where we were up but drew/lost (Man U A, West Ham H, Stoke H) and others - 15 games, 2 wins and no discernible action to remedy this/try something new.

This has carried on this season. Bizarre selections (Wigan and West Ham); no response to poor performances (Blackburn, Wolves, Wet Spam, Wigan); success with 4-5-1 at Plop and then home to Fulham (as we experienced last season) and then switches away and won't go back despite poor performances.

I am massively frustrated not with where we are but where we could be and seem desparate not to take the chances.

I would love to see MON do it but, and this is where we may disagree, I don't think he will be able to get there. He seems not to realise our weaknesses.

4. To say nobody as good as MON out there would be interested is stupid look at Jol, Houllier, Mancini, Bilic, McLaren(great job in Holland) Moyes and i even think Pulis(considering budgets) is a better manager than MoN

Jol was deemed not good enough for Tottenham, and failed to break the top 4 with them... what makes you think he could do it for us?

Houllier did a very average job for years at Liverpool with a ton of money.

Bilic failed to get Croatia even to the world cup play offs.

McLaren? God, I think I'd rather have Venglos back.

From your list I think only Moyes would be a possible step up from MON, and that's debatable.

Ive a few concerns myself

1. Heskey- MON has to stop playing his son he is just not good enough. Makes Vassell look devastating

2.Style of play is awful we are mind numbingly boring to watch and i can put up with that if we are winning but we arent.

3. We need a Wow player. somebody that can turn draws into wins in a second like Paul Merson. e.g Pablo Aimar

You think we're boring now but then put Pulis on your list? And then you add McLaren for the laugh.

Jol finished 5th 2 years in a row with a lesser budget than Villa have spent.

Houllier won a lot of trophies with Liverpool which people forget and is also one of the most respected managers in Europe.

McLaren has been labelled the only manager in Holland to bring the Dutch spirit and flair back to Dutch football by none other than Cruyff.

Im sure if Pulis was given money to spend on good players he would try to play football

Simples? Plural? That's 3 times I've seen that today.

So because a cartoon meerkat says it, you say it?

:confused: (confused)

Don't mess with Aleksandr the meerkat.

Btw, just on the topic of managers... David Moyes is not as great as some make him out to be. He's probably on MON's level manager-wise but Jol > MON every day for me. I bet Jol was laughing his ass off when he saw Spurs doing circus shows every week after they 'fired' him despite he took Spurs to the highest they've finished in the PL for successive seasons.

David Moyes has won as much at Everton as O'Neill has at Villa - nothing. Removing O'Neill will put us back 5 years, a new manager will want to spend money on another team and we have the basis of a good one, we just lack 2 maybe 3 players of real quality that will take us up another level. Trouble is the real real quality go to teams like Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and now Man City. We will be there or there abouts hovering around 5/6/7th all year and will almost certainly finish in the top 8. I think if we can get to a cup final - hopefully win a trophy - and finish in the european places the majority of Villa fans will be happy with that.

Jol finished 5th 2 years in a row with a lesser budget than Villa have spent.

Houllier won a lot of trophies with Liverpool which people forget and is also one of the most respected managers in Europe.

McLaren has been labelled the only manager in Holland to bring the Dutch spirit and flair back to Dutch football by none other than Cruyff.

Im sure if Pulis was given money to spend on good players he would try to play football

It really doesn't matter who manages the team, sooner or later a whole bunch of people will call him a word removed and proudly declare that anybody can do the job better than he can. I guess it's the same at every club in the world - almost part of the fun of the game.

I still think that while the current manager continues to get better results every single year, there's virtually no grounds for removing him.

Im expecting a top 7 finish

Only problem I have with MON is substitutions, if he pushes himself enough he'll make a change with 10 minutes left when everyone would have done it on the hour.

He is the man to keep taking us forward and keep improving every season, like he has done to the team, improve them every season.

MON said he has a squad and will make rotations. He said he didn't realise we had the smallest amount of substitutes last year until it was pointed out at a managers meeting. He said on MotD last season that he didn't realise we had the same starting XI for the first 10-11 games until JR pointed it out to him on the sidelines. He blames the last result on tiredness and doesnt rotate. Hes played players recently with niggles until they became injured. Its unacceptable and the tip of the iceberg of why were inconsistent.

hes nowhere close

shankley was a great manager

ferguson is a great manager

lets not get carried away with our superlatives here

Yes he is.

I think a lot of people here fail to see how important having a manager who stays for a long time is important if you want long term success in this league. You can afford to do it if you're Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona because you're supported by unlimited money. But if we look at supposed good managers like Moyes, Ferguson, Wenger etc they all have smth in common in that they have all been given lots of time to build their squads and mould them in the way they want their players to play. FFS Moyes almost got Everton relegated the first time didnt he?

MON is a great manager

hes nowhere close

shankley was a great manager

ferguson is a great manager

lets not get carried away with our superlatives here

Well.. he is a great manager.

People seem to get doing what seem like small things at 'small' clubs means something.

Wycombe had never won a trophy in their entire history, until MON joined. He then won them there first ever cup in the FA Trophy and guided them to 2 promotions.

He took over Leicester, a Division 1 side, promoted them, won 2 cup finals (and made another final) whilst finishing in the top 10 in every year in the Premier League with them.

Rangers won 12 f the last 13 league titles in Scotland.. until MON got there, winning 3 out of 5 as well as winning 5 other trophies and making a European final.

In 3 years he's guided us to back-to-back top 6 finishes and has not lost more than 10 league games in a season.

So yeah, I'd say he's a great manager. He may not have won the titles that Fergie has, but he hasn't managed a club that Fergie has either. But like Fergie, he's never failed, he's dramatically improved every club he's been at.

He actually destroyed Celtic in the end giving Balde, Hartson, Sutton really long and expensive contracts before he left which Celtic are crippled by today. He is a good manager but not a great.

Nobody outside of British Isles has heard of MON or think he is a top manaegr they know the top managers like Wenger, Fergie, Hodgson

Â