NHL

Vojskovoda

Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player ever. Fact.

Imagine Paul McGrath leading the league in scoring twice and you've basically got Bobby Orr.

Orr inspired the game of hockey with his command of the two-way game, which was unique for a defenceman. Defencemen with goal-scoring ability were not common in the NHL before his arrival. Orr was unique because he could score goals as well, and he influenced countless defencemen who followed him. His speed – most notably a rapid acceleration – and his open-ice artistry electrified fans as he set almost every conceivable record for a defenceman.

Former Montreal Canadiens goaltender Ken Dryden described of Orr: "When he began to move...the sensation was unique: All the Canadiens began backpedaling in a small panic, like beachgoers sighting a coming monster wave. He brought others with him; he wanted them involved. That's what made him so different: It felt like a five-player stampede moving toward you—and at his pace. He pushed his teammates, [because] you're playing with the best player in the league and he's giving you the puck and you just can't mess it up. You had to be better than you'd ever been."

In contrast to the style of hanging-back defensive play common in the later 1950s and 1960s, Orr was known for his fluid skating and end-to-end rushing. Orr's rushing enabled him to be where the puck was, allowing him not only to score effectively but also to defend when necessary. According to longtime Bruins coach and general manager Harry Sinden, "Bobby became a star in the NHL about the time they played the National Anthem for his first game with us".

Orr also benefited from playing most of his career in Boston Garden, which was nine feet (2.7 m) shorter and two feet (0.6 m) narrower than the standard NHL rink. This suited his rushing style very well, as he was able to get from one end of the ice to the other faster than in a standard rink.

His style of play was also hard on his knees and shortened his career. "It was the way I played," Orr has said. "I liked to carry the puck and if you do that, you're going to get hit. I wish I'd played longer, but I don't regret it." Orr stated in 2008. "I had a style—when you play, you play all-out. I tried to do things. I didn't want to sit back. I wanted to be involved."

By 1978, Orr had undergone over a dozen knee surgeries, was having trouble walking and barely skated any more. He ultimately came to the conclusion that he could no longer play and informed the Blackhawks that he was retiring.(He scored his last NHL goal, and point, against Detroit on Oct. 28th, 1978, at Detroit's Olympia Stadium.) The NHL waived the mandatory three-year waiting period for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame and he was enshrined at age 31 – the youngest player living at the time of his induction in history, and one of only ten players to get in without having to wait three years. "Losing Bobby", said Gordie Howe, "was the greatest blow the National Hockey League has ever suffered". One of Orr's lasting legacies is that his popularity helped to cement the expansion of the NHL in America. His number 4 jersey was retired by the Bruins in January 1979. At the ceremony, the crowd at Boston Garden would not stop applauding and as a result, most of the evening's program had to be scrapped at the last second due to the constant cheering.

Orr was known to be fiercely loyal to former Bruin personnel and teammates. When Derek Sanderson had alcohol and prescription drug-abuse problems and wound up penniless, Orr spent his own money to ensure that Sanderson successfully completed rehab. Decades later, Orr and Sanderson went into business together managing finances for hockey players. Orr also helped out Bruins trainer John (Frosty) Forristall, his roommate during his first years with the Bruins, who had just been fired from the Tampa Bay Lightning for alcoholism in 1994. Forristall's drinking put him on bad terms with his brother John, so he returned to Boston jobless and soon afterwards was diagnosed with brain cancer. Orr took Forristall into his home for a year until he passed away at age 51. Orr was a pallbearer at his funeral. Orr has been honoured with his name recorded on Canada's Walk of Fame. A museum exists in his honour in his hometown of Parry Sound, called the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame; also named in his honor is The Bobby Orr Community Centre In 1979, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.

• 1 month later...
But it's still 2-2 in games, isn't it? Hope Philly takes it all. First time since I started to follow them in the 80's when the greatest goalkeeper ever played there.*

*IMO, of course.

Well, your name would support that...

:nod: Absolutely. But it actually is my nickname too, not just a name taken because of him. But great he was. Such a shame.

25 years ago yesterday...

pellegrave_01.jpg

Deadspin"]

There are sports deaths that sting in just about every city. Munson. Clemente. Piccolo. Bias. The whole Marshall football program. Well, today really stings Philadelphia, and Flyers fans in particular.

On Nov. 10, 1985, Pelle Lindbergh, a young goalie just starting to tap into Bernie Parent-esque potential, slammed his candy-apple red Porsche 930 Turbo into a wall outside a school at 5:41 a.m. at about 80 mph. The next day, he was taken off life support and declared clinically dead.

It gutted a proud, tough-guy franchise. From the Philadelphia Daily News:

Lindbergh had been drinking with his Flyers teammates at the after-hours bar above the team's practice rink in Voorhees. His blood-alcohol level was 0.24, well above New Jersey's legal limit of 0.10 at the time. Lindbergh was 26 years old. ...

No Flyer has worn Lindbergh's No. 31 since his passing. Though it is not available, the number has not been retired by the Flyers.

After all these years, Lindbergh remains one of Sweden's most revered hockey figures.

It's been a day of WIP sports-talk remembrances in Philly. Driving into Center City, I heard a fire chief describing the scene. He spoke about not knowing who the driver was (there were also two passengers) until he saw Flyers showing up at the scene. (Murray Craven was first.) He mentioned that if the car struck the wall about a foot away from the stairwell opening which it struck, Pelle probably wouldn't have died.

Here's mine: Twelve-year-old me (in a No. 31 jersey) went to the crash site a week or so later. There seemed to be slivers of Porsche still in the intersection. I remembered asking my parents the day after the crash if Pelle woke up from the coma yet. Apparently, I didn't quite grasp brain death yet.

I also remember that being the first time I'd heard about the perils of drunk driving. Granted, I can't say with any certainty if Pelle Lindbergh's death gave the MADD movement teeth locally, but I'm thinking it did.

Yes, the whole thing could have been averted if even a modicum of personal responsibility had taken hold; I don't think anybody could argue that. Pelle was drunk and Pelle was speeding. But that doesn't make it any less tragic.

More

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loving the Pens' form right now, and moreso Crosby's points streak. Not only does he have a point in each of his last 25 games after tonight's win, but he also leads the league in points, goals and +/-. He's also 2nd in assists (3 behind H. Sedin).

Utterly mind-blowing stuff. Alex O-who?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, there are about 10 threads a day on HFBoards to remind us. ;)

More seriously, always good to see a different team in the limelight. Just don't go the way of the Sharks...

And thank god we finally won a game without Sid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- 65 penalties for 346 penalty minutes in the game.

Pens are getting decimated with injuries already, definitely going to top that with a few suspensions after that (Godard already has an automatic 10-game suspension for coming off the bench to fight). Just hoping that the Isles get made an example of as they were pretty disgraceful - Gillies and Martin need some lengthy time out for their efforts alone.

Pretty tough times for us right now.

• 1 month later...

So the Rangers beat the Devils 5-2 in the last game of the regular season, just gotta hope Tampa beat Carolina later on to make the playoffs. Don't think it'll happen though, TB have nothing to play for.

Â