NHL

Vojskovoda

Only the Caps/Habs and Red Wings/Coyotes series remain to be decided in the first round.

Second round matchups will be

East:

Caps vs. Flyers OR Penguins vs. Habs

Penguins vs. Bruins OR Bruins vs. Flyers

West:

Sharks vs. Coyotes/Red Wings

Blackhawks vs. Canucks

I hope the Canucks goes all the way :cheers:

Admire the sentiment but I can't help but think it's unlikely. Unless Luongo starts coming up huge for the next month or so, I'd see the Canucks struggling to go much further. Obviously, I very much hope to be eating my words soon! :)

Shoot-out?

There's no shootout in the playoffs... they just play extra time until somebody scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLyO1dmXOA: 5 overtimes, 92:01 of extra time (the football equivalent is playing until a 229th minute winner)... back in the 1930s there were a couple of games that went into six overtimes.

Red Wings/Coyotes has just started and is still 0-0.

The **** Habs knock off the Caps in the seventh game to advance.

Penguins vs. Habs (Game 1 is 30 April)

Bruins vs. Flyers (Game 1 is 1 May)

Sharks vs. Red Wings (Game 1 is 29 April)

Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Game 1 is 1 May)

With the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference all eliminated, the Western Conference representative will have home ice in the finals.

Here are some stats from a guy on HFBoards to put how much of an upset it was into some perspective:

33 points difference between both teams, 101 more goals scored by the Caps although they allowed 10 more and their best player won the Hart for the past 2 seasons along with another 100 pts forward and a 40 goal scorer( Most on the Habs was 28 ) while coming back down from 3-1. It's pretty huge if you ask me, and I think the only one who tops this one is Isles '93.

Amazing result, that. I'd expect it of the Sharks, but not the Caps. The NHL will be crying into their Cheerios tomorrow morning due to no Pens vs Caps series.

It looks like they'll get a Red Wings/Blackhawks Western final, though which will brighten their attitude a bit.

The number of debatable calls that went Detroit's way in game 7 against Phoenix is perhaps evidence of something...

For the benefit of newbies... the main offensive trophy in the NHL is the Art Ross, awarded to the player who accumulates the most goals plus assists over the season. About a decade ago, the Habs donated a trophy to go to the player who scored the most goals to honor Maurice "Rocket" Richard who was a prolific goal scorer but never recorded enough assists to win the Ross. The Hart goes to the player who was most important to his team.

At the end of the first period of Game 5 between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday night, defenseman Sami Salo(notes) was hit by a Duncan Keith(notes) slapshot and hit the ice in agony before leaving for the locker room in pain. He was later loaded into ambulance on a stretcher and brought to a local hospital in Chicago.

The announcers initially thought the puck hit his midsection. TSN (and later Team 1040 in Vancouver and the NHL Network) reported that the point of impact was uncomfortably lower: That Salo ruptured a testicle on this play.

Yahoo

Ouch...

• 3 weeks later...
Â