NHL

Vojskovoda

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately I haven't been able to follow the NHL much (though tbf, the NHL might not be worth following until at least January/February), what with the carriage dispute between DirecTV and Comcast over Versus I basically only can watch Bruins games.

(long story short, Comcast is the biggest cable company in the US (and the biggest pay-TV company) while DirecTV is the biggest satellite TV company... Comcast owns Versus and is demanding more money from DirecTV for subscriptions than DirecTV is willing to pay.... DirecTV's side & Versus' side... I really hope this gets ironed out by the Tour de France.

Yessssss! DirecTV and Versus resolved their differences in time for the Stanley Cup playoffs and Tour de France.

Meanwhile, this is a hockey injury I've never seen before.

The Calgary Flames say forward Daymond Langkow is in good condition at a local hospital after he was hit in the back of the neck with a shot in the second period of a game in Minnesota against the Wild.

Langkow — who was taken off the ice on a stretcher — has movement in all his extremities and is undergoing X-rays and more tests.

Standing in front of the Wild goal, Langkow was knocked over by Minnesota defenceman Greg Zanon before Flames' defenceman Ian White took a shot from inside the blue line.

Langkow appeared to see the shot coming and tucked his head into his chest as he fell, but the puck struck him in the back of the neck.

Play was stopped and Langkow was attended to for about 10 minutes before the 13-year veteran was wheeled off the ice. The game resumed shortly after.

"We were definitely a little bit rattled," Flames defenceman Steve Staios said. "After that, you've got to get yourself back focused on the game, but there's definitely a time when you're afraid for him, and it becomes a difficult situation to deal with."

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my first live hockey game - Ducks vs Canucks. Before anyone thinks I have forsaken the mighty Pens - tickets were only 20 bucks and it's the closest stadium around here. ;)

Cracking one it was too - 4-4 after regulation, Selanne passing Kurri's goals record, Grabner scored a hat-trick, Parros fought Hordichuk, the 'nucks hit the post twice in a matter of seconds in OT and the game went to a shootout.

From the experience, a few things grabbed me - first is that it was both cool and amazing to see opposing fans mingled in with each other and no trouble going on whatsoever. Heck, I even saw people in Sabres and Leafs jerseys walking around amongst a few others. I also found it pretty amazing just how balanced the ratio of Ducks vs 'nucks fans there was - you could certainly see a lot of blue looking around the stadium for a 'home' game.

Next - beer being allowed in your seat. Great to be able to do that again.

Stadium thoughts - it was a bit smaller than I imagined it would be, but it does make sense at the same time when you consider the regular attendance. There is also so much stuff going on in there that you don't really notice from watching on TV - quizzes, competitions and random other shit like the camera focusing on people and them having to kiss if it was aimed at them. One guy nearly ripped the head off the girl who was sitting next to him to kiss her, and one girl totally flat out denied the guy next to her when it was on them. Good entertainment in general.

Now all I'm hoping for is either the Ducks or Kings to make it to the Stanley Cup finals with the Pens so I can watch them down here - can't even begin to think how much tickets would cost, though.

Generally in the "sunbelt" markets (like Anaheim), the teams haven't established large enough fanbases to snap up most tickets and there're large enough populations of people who came from the traditional markets (like Vancouver) to create the large population of visiting fans (plus there might even be a few people who fly down for a vacation).

In the more northern, traditional markets, you tend to see monolithic home crowds, except for regional rivalries etc.

The same phenomenon happens in baseball... when the Red Sox or Yankees visit the Rays, there are almost always more visiting fans than home fans (both the Red Sox and Yankees have spring training in that general part of Florida and that's caused a lot of fans to retire nearby).

Regular season is over... time for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. First round pairings are:

East

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers

#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

West

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to follow this online? I watched it during the Olympics and loved ice hockey.

I'm trying not to after almost getting the sack last year from staying up too late to watch too many games (supporting a west-coast team is hard work if you want to watch the games).

The official route is NHL Center Ice but I know it's not too hard to find illegal streams too but obviously, I'd never recommend that ;)

Austria and Slovenia earned promotion to the 2011 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia.

0e3ea2cc0a.jpg2ff2d9c2e4.jpg

Great Britain's goalie Murphy was chosen for the tournament dream team.

Its good to be in the big league again :)!

Â