NHL

Vojskovoda

So its going down to Game 7 now.

Its 3-3 at the moment on games

who are favourites to take it?

The pattern so far is Boston obliterates Vancouver in Boston, and Vancouver squeaks by Boston in Vancouver.

A betting man would probably back Vancouver, and the Vegas line will favor them.

We put 15 goals behind Luongo in 3 home games, but just 2 in away games.

I'm assuming he'll get the start again. And I'm assuming the game will be tight, again. I just hope it doesn't go to OT, my heart can't handle that.

Thanks for the link maq, but I just can't bring myself to watch ;)

Hate to sound like a bandwagoner but I think the 'nucks are done. Can't see them coming back again from this blow. I'd love it (absolutely bloody love it) if they did but I really fear this is going to be another heartbreak year for Vancouver. I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm definitely starting to have a bit of a man-crush on Timmy. That guy is just phenomenal. Praying for a Canucks win but am almost resigned to feeling blue Thursday morning :(

What would a complete an utter ice hockey virgin need to know if they were going to attend their first game? I'm considering going to watch the Basingstoke Bison for a change of pace, but my knowledge of the sport only goes as far as thinking Emilio Estevez can turn a bunch of unruly kids into world champions and getting into fights on the old Sega Megadrive NHL game was a lot of fun.

My first bit of advice would be don't go see the Bison.

Unless things have changed drastically in the last couple of years, it's a slightly embarrassing experience down there. I've been to games in Cardiff and Nottingham and they put on a really good night but Basingstoke felt a little "home-made" for me.

But, if you decide to ignore my advice - here's the skinny.

Teams on-ice fall into 3 groups, well two if you don't count the net-minder. You have a defensive pairing and a forward-line which consists of a center [sic] and two wingers. Most teams will have four forward lines and three defensive pairings. They interchange constantly but normally swap as a complete line.

Generally, the first or top line as the most skilled players and the fourth line are the grinders (sometimes called "energy line") who are often used to rough up the opposition.

You've got three 20 minute periods but as with most American sports, it's very stop-start.

Players can "check" opposition players, which basically means running into them, either at the boards or mid-ice. The rules on checking have got a lot tighter in the last few years so anything outside of a perfect hit is liable to be penalised. This will mean playing a man down for 2 minutes (for a minor infraction) or 5 or 10 minutes for something dirtier.

Players can fight, although this will inevitably lead to penalties. Fights are generally agreed to and only certain players will be up for a ruck. Generally the skilled players will avoid fighting unless it's a particularly chippy game. Fights will normally lead to off-setting penalties (when it was clear that both players agreed to fight) where both fighters will be put in the penalty box. Fights occur sometimes as retribution for a perceived misdeed by an opposition player and sometimes as a way to pump up your team.

To be on the powerplay means the opposition have less players on the ice due to penalties.

The aim of the game is to get the little round puck into the oppositions net more times than they do.

There's a lot to get your head around when you first start watching hockey and I find that most people who enjoy watching games over here, have probably experienced it in the US or Canada first but I wouldn't rule out you enjoying it.

Obviously you must indulge in beer and snacks during the game and it is generally expected that you must shout "ref, you suck" at least once per period, although you need to be careful to do this at an opportune time or you will be outing yourself as a novice.

Cheers choffer. Duly digested, though I'm afraid it is Bison or bust as I live about 5 minutes from the rink (fortunately, like everyone else here I'm well-versed in suffering for my support of a sports team :)).

Offside in hockey differ from footy. The puck must cross the blue line in the attacking zone before attacking players can cross it.

Ref will blow for "Icing" if an attacking player puts the puck behind the goal from a greater distance than the halfway line and a defender touch it first.

and yes, we Canadians, unfortunately, do hooliganism quite well apparently, downtown Vancouver is a freaking mess... what a bunch of tools. Disgracing the Canucks and the city in general. Bad night out, sad for real fans.

Canucks fans did you proud inside the arena though, when they gave Thomas a standing ovation. That was class.

It was mayhem in Boston too, but just a few arrests, no damage. Some flares, fireworks, a smokebomb :lol: and just massive crowds from Canal St. up to Haymarket, the North End, and beyond to Quincy Market, and City Hall Plaza. Big groups in Kenmore and Central, too I heard.

The BPD handled it well, they let people go bananas for well over an hour before they moved in.

Parade on Saturday. Good chance I'll still be hungover...

I'm still in shock

Offside in hockey differ from footy. The puck must cross the blue line in the attacking zone before attacking players can cross it.

quick explanation... most North American leagues have implemented "tag-up" offside rule, which basically allows a player who's in an offside position to cross back over the blue line (into the neutral zone) and make himself onside before being involved in active play (I'm not sure if ice hockey in the UK uses that version of the rule).

Ref will blow for "Icing" if an attacking player puts the puck behind the goal from a greater distance than the halfway line and a defender touch it first.

explained... it should be noted that UK ice hockey probably uses no-touch icing so it doesn't matter whether the puck is first touched by a defender. Icing was introduced to penalize teams that, to use football terminology, just hoofed the ball upfield without regard for maintaining possession.

Related to both of these is two-line pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Some local news for all Western New Yorkers. Sabres have bought out the Rochester Amerks. As an Amerks fan I can say this is very good news for both the sabes and amerks. Finally we get to see some decent hockey in Rochester after 3 dismal years.

Â