General Chat

Stevo985

will it impact your job mate?

No not really mate, we never come up against them as they are in a different league to us.

To put it into perspective, we are one of the biggest electrical contractors south of Birmingham (Bromsgrove, Redditch, Worcester, Dudley etc.), we turn over between £5-6m per annum...these guys were doing in excess of £100m!

People like NG Bailey will be loving this news. Just means another 400 poor sparks without a job! :(

Faster-than-light neutrinos could be down to bad wiring

By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News

What might have been the biggest physics story of the past century may instead be down to a faulty connection.

In September 2011, the Opera experiment reported it had seen particles called neutrinos evidently travelling faster than the speed of light.

The team has now found two problems that may have affected their test in opposing ways: one in its timing gear and one in an optical fibre connection.

More tests from May will determine just how they affect measured speeds.

The Opera collaboration (an acronym for Oscillation Project with Emulsion-Racking Apparatus) was initially started to study the tiny particles as they travelled through 730km of rock between a particle accelerator at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (Cern) in Switzerland and the Gran Sasso underground laboratory in Italy.

Its goal was to quantify how often the neutrinos change from one type to another on the journey.

But during the course of the experiments the team found that the neutrinos showed up 60 billionths of a second faster than light would have done over the same distance - a result that runs counter to a century's worth of theoretical and experimental physics.

The team submitted the surprising result to the scientific community in an effort to confirm or refute it, and several other experiments around the world are currently working to replicate the result.

A repeat of the experiment by the Opera team will now address whether the issues they have found affect the ultimate neutrino speed they measure.

The two problems the team has identified would have opposing effects on the apparent speed.

On the one hand, the team said there is a problem in the "oscillator" that provides a ticking clock to the experiment in the intervals between the synchronisations of GPS equipment.

This is used to provide start and stop times for the measurement as well as precise distance information.

That problem would increase the measured time of the neutrinos' flight, in turn reducing the surprising faster-than-light effect.

But the team also said they found a problem in the optical fibre connection between the GPS signal and the experiment's main clock.

In contrast, the team said that effect would increase the neutrinos' apparent speed.

The team had carried out their measurements for more than three years, exhaustively scrutinising their methods and analysis before announcing the results last year - so why had they not found these issues before?

"That's a good question," said University of Oxford particle physicist Alfons Weber, who is also involved in Minos, the US effort to repeat the neutrino speed measurements.

"Even though you try to check everything, it can always happen that you have overlooked some detail in your analysis," he told BBC News.

Given that the opposing effects only seem to muddy the waters further on whether neutrinos can exceed the "universal speed limit", only more experiments will put the matter to rest.

For its part, the Opera team said in a statement: "While continuing our investigations, in order to unambiguously quantify the effect on the observed result, the collaboration is looking forward to performing a new measurement of the neutrino velocity as soon as a new bunched beam will be available in 2012."

Facilities also at Gran Sasso called Borexino and Icarus will also take part, along with Minos, based at Fermilab in the US, and a Japanese facility called T2K.

With so much at stake, Dr Weber said, these international efforts will go ahead no matter what.

"I can say that Minos will quite definitely go ahead," he said "We've already installed most of the equipment we need to make an accurate measurement.

"Even if Opera now publish that 'yes, everything is fine', we still want to make sure that we come up with a consistent, independent measurement, and I assume that the other experiments will go forward with this as well."

BBC

equally as beyond my scope of barain processing power I caught the back end of some show with man of the moment Brian cox on it , where he was saying that in effect they had found that Newtons theory of gravity was wrong .. his projections of the moons path were 10 meters out or something

Good enough in terms of helping us get to the moon , but hopelessly inaccurate in the scheme of things ....

I watch these shows , and I love them but when they've finished and I've flicked the biscuits crumbs onto the floor and scratched my nuts .. I still kinda think ... AND ??

I mean if we woke up tomorrow and found Cox is right and Newton was wrong is an Apple suddenly going to stop falling from a tree ... if E=MC2 was proven to be wrong .. would the world suddenly end ?

one of his other shows talked about Paulli (??) principal ..in that they believe every single electron is linked and unique , therefore if you change one electron EVERY single electron in the universe has to change with it so that their energy levels don't match the one you have changed !!

sorry but that sort of stuff just makes my head explode .... but it's still absolutely fascinating

one of his other shows talked about Paulli (??) principal ..in that they believe every single electron is linked and unique , therefore if you change one electron EVERY single electron in the universe has to change with it so that their energy levels don't match the one you have changed !!

sorry but that sort of stuff just makes my head explode .... but it's still absolutely fascinating

I actually caught that particular show were he was talking about that theory, and it immediately struck me that, imo, that one is going to be a theory that we, to the best of our knowledge now, know is correct and use, but in the future it's going to to turn out is slightly, slightly wrong. We're just not yet at the stage to realise it and for, now, it fits the basis that we know of.

I'd be very surprised if, by some miracle, I was shown 'The Big Book of How the Universe Really Works' that explained exactly how the whole shabang runs to the smallest detail, that there was a section that said 'Electrons all linked, and if one changes the slightest bit in it's energy they all have to or everything falls into an atom mush'.

I'd put money, if I could have some sort of bet that lasted till the end of time and still collect it, on that theory being one that as we discover more about quantum and really really far out physics, we change to accommodate new knowledge.

But for now, yeah - the universe is a ****' crazy place.

I'd put money, if I could have some sort of bet that lasted till the end of time and still collect it, on that theory being one that as we discover more about quantum and really really far out physics, we change to accommodate new knowledge.

For more on that theme (in a fun way), read the sf book I just recommended in the books thread.

I'd put money, if I could have some sort of bet that lasted till the end of time and still collect it, on that theory being one that as we discover more we change to accommodate new knowledge.

Pretty much my thinking on absolute zero. I refuse to believe it will not go lower. And yes I know the rationale behind the current value.

Â