General Chat

Stevo985

Anybody watch University Challenge last night? All arts team v. all sciences team. Artists won hands down (and yes, there WERE a lot of science questions).

No real suprise

A lot of general knowlege comes from reading of which Arts students tend to do more.

(Basing this argument on someone I know who did very well on the programme, who is very well read but who has never entered a quiz/pub quiz in their life)

One argument runs thus: science requires a huge amount of dedicated work, which leaves little time for recreational reading; whereas arts/humanities degrees are basically just a waffly doss, no wonder they have time to read books for fun.

Disclaimer: I'm not taking sides - I have a B.A. and an MSc. [1]

[1] Not in a real science though - Managing Information Technology.

This isn't a dig mooneyboy, but what exactly is the masters part of managing I.T?

I don't understand why you'd need a mastership to run a computer - although I am aware that it must be harder than checking to see how much room you have on your harddrive ;)

Are there statistics on the net anywhere of like how many people get a job because of their degree or in that area of what they studied for? It'd be interesting to know.

I still think a fair few people go to Uni for the sake of it, to be honest, I am really but you only live once and all that. I've got plenty of years of my life to waste doing most likely a boring job might as well do something interesting while I'm young.

I do - but out of those I'm still in contact with who I graduated with, I'm the only one. Most have gone into teaching or post graduate study.

What do you do may I ask?

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to get a job in teaching these days, like P.E? I mean they advertise on the TV for teachers so surely a career in teaching is almost a definite career as long as you do well at Uni?

This isn't a dig mooneyboy, but what exactly is the masters part of managing I.T?

I don't understand why you'd need a mastership to run a computer - although I am aware that it must be harder than checking to see how much room you have on your harddrive ;)

No, fair question. It's not about "managing a computer", it's about the strategic managing of IT in an organisation.

The idea was to take people from the IT world who lacked management knowledge, and managers who didn't know IT, and produce "hybrid managers" who could see the "big picture", and thus break down the communication gulf that was perceived to exist in the industry - a sort of "technical MBA" if you like.

So you'd get modules on - say - HR management and organisational theory, alternating with ones on LAN/WANs and artificial intelligence, etc.

Masters standard? Not for my money. I did it part-time, and although the workload was fairly high - 12 written assignments, 12 closed-book exams AND a dissertation, over two years - I thought the standard was pretty easy. Except for my bête noir, the dreaded accountancy module, which I barely scraped through. But that's me - I see anything financial or mathematical and I go into a panic.

Suffice to say, I never made use of it; my one foray into low-level management was an unmitigated disaster, and I was mighty glad to return to my footsoldier status. I am not a leader, by anybody's definition.

The idea was to take people from the IT world who lacked management knowledge, and managers who didn't know IT, and produce "hybrid managers" who could see the "big picture", and thus break down the communication gulf that was perceived to exist in the industry - a sort of "technical MBA" if you like.

Chuffing impossible to get that balance right. I started out doing the hands-on stuff but spend so much time on the strategic and management stuff these days that I wouldn't be able to fix even the simplest of problems. Definitely need to find some time to brush up on my technical skills.

Got a bad tackle and tore my whole medial ligament completely and my cartlidge. Had an operation last June and managed to train for a few weeks so going to have 10-20 minutes see how it goes. 11 a-side that is I've played a bit of five a side over the summer.

Oh look, Paramount Comedy are starting a new comedy about fat people and 99% of the jokes are based on their weight.

Oh my oh my, what an original idea!

Anyway, snapped achilles is pretty naff I must say but at least you can recover (eventually). I have some bastard recurring knee problem that turns me into a sofa bound lout after exercise, all but ruled out any sporting endeavours. Still play football mind but **** hell the agony walking about afterwards ain't worth it.

Aye physio's are great. Thankfully, I still have one who I can go see now and then as he lives quite close to me. When I was out for a couple years, he was great help and very experienced so any problems now always gets cleared up pretty quickly. Allows me to see him for free as well which is nice, it's not often or long, really nice bloke.

Â