General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

You would need to contact the local  authority to check. You may need a energy assessor too. 

No, no no. Nonsense, surely. You want to replace some patio doors, you contact a doors and windows company. That’s it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, no no. Nonsense, surely. You want to replace some patio doors, you contact a doors and windows company. That’s it.

yep, it wouldn't come under planning or building control

does come under CDM though which i guarantee you your local builder wont do - replacing the doors wont but say an extension if it comes to over 500 man days the builder should notify the HSE that the works are being undertaken (still unlikely, they wont be that slow) - ask your builder to see his construction phase plan...good luck

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't know where to put this, but I guess it's general.

I'm having a single story extension built at the moment, we didn't need full planning as it comes under permitted development, but to be fair though, I have found out in reality there is no such thing anymore. There have been many new regulations in the last couple of months a huge one, which they have admitted not informing your regular builder about, is the obvious cutting down on carbon and increasing the amount of insulation, which has cost me close to a extra 10% of the complete build, losing floor space due to having to increase cavity insulation, having 50mm insulated plasterboard, an changing the design of the guttering and fascia, due to the roof having to have 160mm insulation, which all the prices are obviously supply and demand, so instead of plasterboard costing 8 quid, insulated, which is basically the same but with polystyrene on the back is £60 each, I need around 20???

What I am really p*****ed off about is the council planner for building regs (some 22 year old straight outta uni kid, everything by the book) just comes round and says, you need to do this and this, not really taking into account additional costs that will be incurred, when there is compromises. He has also said because we are having bi-fold doors, we now have to pay an energy assessor to confirm the U rating is still as it should be, as there is now a limit to the amount of glass in a build, ohh and also suggested we have the loft re insulated incase there are any issues that the rating may just go over the limit, it's just mad, this going green boll***s is costing us all a fortune!!!

So you're angry that you planned your extension really badly?

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So you're angry that you planned your extension really badly?

out of interest @foreveryoung who planned it? a builder or did you get an architect?

because what you are saying makes me think that the days of local builders rocking up and throwing something together is coming to an end, which isnt a bad thing

if it was an architect and you've got all these problems that is where your anger should be going because it sounds like they've **** up and mislead you

• Like 3

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

out of interest @foreveryoung who planned it? a builder or did you get an architect?

because what you are saying makes me think that the days of local builders rocking up and throwing something together is coming to an end, which isnt a bad thing

if it was an architect and you've got all these problems that is where your anger should be going because it sounds like they've **** up and mislead you

Architect, but it was all planned before the new regs came in. Now I am using a council planner to sign off the regs, he has now told me I will have to change original plans to incorporate new regs because I didn't send the plans in on time, although at the time I never thought there was any rush. So the builder started on the O.E plans and we were then told about the new regulations on the council planners first visit.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Architect, but it was all planned before the new regs came in. Now I am using a council planner to sign off the regs, he has now told me I will have to change original plans to incorporate new regs because I didn't send the plans in on time, although at the time I never thought there was any rush. So the builder started on the O.E plans and we were then told about the new regulations on the council planners first visit.

Whilst new regs may have only just gone live there would have been a period of time when they were available for review before the live date. A good architect should have known that if your work was being done beyond a certain date then the new set of regulations would have to apply.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whilst new regs may have only just gone live there would have been a period of time when they were available for review before the live date. A good architect should have known that if your work was being done beyond a certain date then the new set of regulations would have to apply.

The architect's a good guy, someone I know, problem is I just asked him to do me a plan for the extension based on my sketchy plans. He didn't get involved when it was going to be done as I just wanted something to give the builder. It then took 2 months for us to decide to have done and a further 2 months to book the builder and get everything ready.

The council planner came out to sign off the first part and advised the builder of the change in regs, giving him some paperwork admitting "as you can appreciate, we cannot let every builder in the country know about the new regulations so we tend to roll it out at first point of contact". So it's no ones fault really, just that we planned it on the boarder of the regulation change..

The point I was trying to make anyway was, even if I took into account the new regulations, we need to make sure we now have a bigger bag of money for any domestic building work. You can basically add 10% on the top of the build due to all the materials needed are supply and demand and way over priced, like the plasterboard £50 more per sheet because it has 4mm of polystyrene on the back. Speaking to my architect, he also stated, these figures to meet the insulation requirements are also way over what is actually needed for domestic home insulation.

I have also got to pay for a energy assessor to come out and confirm the council planner is correct in his mathematics of the U rating, due to the amount of glass I'm having fitted, i.e, the bi-fold doors and roof windows, as it may effect this rating. So I may have to cut down on the glass, which it not really possible, or insulate something else around the house to make up for it???

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

When did work get so serious? It is horrific now, doesn't seem to be any down time or chances for a laugh. Just so robotic, devoid of any fun. I've been at the same company for 20-ish years and it gets worse every year. Used to have laughs, play pranks on each other and have Friday lunchtime drinks at Horts, Apres, or the Last Word at Five Ways. The social side of work was so much better. Now everyone is in a foul mood all the time. The office, when I'm in, is like a library now. 

Its not just my place though, speaking to mates who work in different sectors (energy, utilities, automotive, etc) and its the same there. Turning everyone into drones. Not sure what the point of this post was, maybe its just cathartic to vent! I actually like my job, its just relentless nowadays. 

It’s been like that where I work for the entire 14 years i’ve been there.

When someone would bring cakes or samosas in for a birthday you grab one and then scuttle back to your computer.

Pretty much zero bantz.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

When did work get so serious? It is horrific now, doesn't seem to be any down time or chances for a laugh. Just so robotic, devoid of any fun. I've been at the same company for 20-ish years and it gets worse every year. Used to have laughs, play pranks on each other and have Friday lunchtime drinks at Horts, Apres, or the Last Word at Five Ways. The social side of work was so much better. Now everyone is in a foul mood all the time. The office, when I'm in, is like a library now. 

Its not just my place though, speaking to mates who work in different sectors (energy, utilities, automotive, etc) and its the same there. Turning everyone into drones. Not sure what the point of this post was, maybe its just cathartic to vent! I actually like my job, its just relentless nowadays. 

I blame -- in descending order:

1. Cancel culture, "call out culture," fear of offending -- absolutely devastating. Too much righteousness, not enough openness.
  2. Mental/emotional screen-burnout -- people not taking breaks from screens. It melts your brain, kills your sense of humour, shortens people's fuses
  3. In the USA -- dunno how it is in Britain: Labour shortages. Everyone's getting saddled with extra work because no one is re-filling positions.
  4. Man City. They've ruined everything. 
Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yep, it wouldn't come under planning or building control

does come under CDM though which i guarantee you your local builder wont do - replacing the doors wont but say an extension

What is CDM?

What if I wanted the new patio doors to be slightly wider than the current ones - ie: removing 2 bricks worth on either side of the doors so the doors are bigger?

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What is CDM?

What if I wanted the new patio doors to be slightly wider than the current ones - ie: removing 2 bricks worth on either side of the doors so the doors are bigger?

Construction design and management regulations 

I've never gone that small so not 100% sure... But my understanding is that if you pay a contractor to do those works for you then yes in theory the works come under the CDM regs and there will be paperwork that comes with it, if you pay someone to paint your spare bedroom it comes under CDM regs, jet washing your drive comes under it

If you do it yourself I don't think it does 

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

1. Cancel culture, "call out culture," fear of offending -- absolutely devastating. Too much righteousness, not enough openness.
  2. Mental/emotional screen-burnout -- people not taking breaks from screens. It melts your brain, kills your sense of humour, shortens people's fuses
  3. In the USA -- dunno how it is in Britain: Labour shortages. Everyone's getting saddled with extra work because no one is re-filling positions.

I would add to that list - CYA culture/litigation/safety
Also the addition of a useless administrative burden

And to your number 1 we could add political correctness

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I work in an office with just me and the wife now , definitely no laughter , fun and lots of foul moods 

and then i go to work and it it gets even worse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You need to reverse the order.  Then you're pretty much bang on.

• Haha 1

Just been out for brekkie. Full English, coffee and orange juice. £18. 

I reckon thats gone up at least £5 since I last went there, before the pandemic. 

• Shocked 4

Â