General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

So depressing 1 out of 5 Swedes is pro-fascism. I just feel so defeated today. My wife's family are immigrants and I really fear for our future even though she was born here. These people are voting against my life and my future. And for what? I'm **** depressed.

At least they're still a small minority, but when even countries like Sweden are seeing far right movements gaining traction, we might be entering a very worrying era.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

At least they're still a small minority, but when even countries like Sweden are seeing far right movements gaining traction, we might be entering a very worrying era.

We are very much entering a worrying era imo. People are sleepwalking into fascism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Twenty per cent isn’t a small minority, I’m afraid. They’ve been handed the role of kingmaker and can hold the presumptive conservative PM parliamentary hostage. They are the second most popular party in Sweden and, given the floor maths of the new parliament, arguably the most powerful party in the Riksdag. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's the usual story. Things get difficult, people struggle, they see change, they see threat, they turn to the easy answers of right wing populism and start to get a bit fasc-y.

Absolutely. It’s predictable as f***, but it still makes me sad and gives me a sense of powerlessness. 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I «liked» your post because I wholeheartedly agree, not because I like what is happening. 

It’s f***ing awful. Populist far right success is nothing new in European politics, sadly, and we’ve had our share in Norway with the ironically named Progress Party. But the Sweden Democrats (also very ironically named) are worse. Far worse. Their history and their leadership is so tightly linked to Neo-Nazism and right wing extremism, voting for them really should be inconceivable to anyone enjoying the freedoms and benefits of living in a Nordic welfare state and liberal democracy. Their fear mongering and their populism should be dismissed out of hand when their core of racism, hatred and anti-democratic fervour has been exposed over and over again. It makes me intensely sad to see a movement so fundamentally at odds with the core tenets of Scandinavian social democracy, arguably the most successful social project in human history, become so popular in a Scandinavian country. 

You would think so, but yet, here we are. It's a very sad day for nordic social democracy.

• Like 1

Didn't know where to put this, but I guess it's general.

I'm having a single story extension built at the moment, we didn't need full planning as it comes under permitted development, but to be fair though, I have found out in reality there is no such thing anymore. There have been many new regulations in the last couple of months a huge one, which they have admitted not informing your regular builder about, is the obvious cutting down on carbon and increasing the amount of insulation, which has cost me close to a extra 10% of the complete build, losing floor space due to having to increase cavity insulation, having 50mm insulated plasterboard, an changing the design of the guttering and fascia, due to the roof having to have 160mm insulation, which all the prices are obviously supply and demand, so instead of plasterboard costing 8 quid, insulated, which is basically the same but with polystyrene on the back is £60 each, I need around 20???

What I am really p*****ed off about is the council planner for building regs (some 22 year old straight outta uni kid, everything by the book) just comes round and says, you need to do this and this, not really taking into account additional costs that will be incurred, when there is compromises. He has also said because we are having bi-fold doors, we now have to pay an energy assessor to confirm the U rating is still as it should be, as there is now a limit to the amount of glass in a build, ohh and also suggested we have the loft re insulated incase there are any issues that the rating may just go over the limit, it's just mad, this going green boll***s is costing us all a fortune!!!

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not the point really. Forcing you to spend money to help the carbon neutral target with materials which are overpriced due to supply and demand is. 

Forcing you to spend money that will help reduce carbon, help with climate change, help save you money on your bills, help reduce energy consumption in a time of energy crisis.

Cant believe you’re upset about it. You should have thanked this young man.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Forcing you to spend money that will help reduce carbon, help with climate change, help save you money on your bills, help reduce energy consumption in a time of energy crisis.

Cant believe you’re upset about it. You should have thanked this young man.

I doubt I will make the money back I have spent on extra insulation. Don't get me wrong. it's a good thing yes, but not on a extension of the kitchen, I doubt it'll make much different when the rest of the kitchen isn't insulated as good. A new build amazing, but not for a extension.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

He has also said because we are having bi-fold doors, we now have to pay an energy assessor to confirm the U rating is still as it should be, as there is now a limit to the amount of glass in a build, 

I want to change my old leaky patio doors for some nice triple glazed bi-fold doors. Do I need to get building regulations in for that?

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

I want to change my old leaky patio doors for some nice triple glazed bi-fold doors. Do I need to get building regulations in for that?

You would need to contact the local  authority to check. You may need a energy assessor too. 

Â