General Chat

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Not my side of the city... but i've been to gigs at the Station and the Hare and Hounds. Both good places. Nice selection of ales and live music occasionally. 

That's weird. I thought being an oasis fan you didn't like music. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Not my scene, very busy, drinks wise it’s the usual suspects on tap that you get in 99.9% of pubs, a few scally’s and troublemakers going there now and again.

When I lived in KH the Hare and Hounds would have been the closest to me. I don't think I ever stepped foot inside. I suppose the Billesley was closest thing that I treated as a local. A bit of a plastic pub I thought. Used to walk down to it with my Dad for a quiet drink. I remember having a drink in the Station ... must have been back in '86. Seemed like an old man's pub back then (good thing).

Funnily enough, the Plough in Harborne would have been the closest thing to a pub where "everyone knew my name"

Yeah  ... I forgot about the KH Cricket and Sports Club, definitely a good spot for a drop beer. Used to be member there before moving to Canada.

Thank for the memories ... everyone.

My understanding is that there used to be a tram turnaround there and nob was somekind of tram terminology used for the machinery to turn around. 

I also recall a story about a large rock that was there before the pub.  But essentially I don't think anyone knows. 

My confession is that on the occasion I went there I had no idea where I was going. I was just told we were having a meal at The Nob in Kings Heath.  So after trawling up and down the High Street a couple of times and not finding it I went into The Hare and Hounds and starting asking people if they knew where The Nob was.  I nearly got my lights punched out a couple of times before someone knew what I was on about😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

My understanding is that there used to be a tram turnaround there and nob was somekind of tram terminology used for the machinery to turn around. 

That's how it was explained to me. Having done a quick mooney now though, it appears that there's no definitive answer.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Trams can generally be driven from both ends

To turn a tram around you generally just move the pantograph around, usually with a pole or string attached to it

My 17 year old daughter is going to The Hare and Hounds tomorrow night for a 18 Month delayed album launch party by The Seagirls. 

I'm. Not entirely sure what to make of it in all honesty.  Sounds a bit back stage pass to me 🥺

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Trams can generally be driven from both ends

To turn a tram around you generally just move the pantograph around, usually with a pole or string attached to it

Yeah, sounds far fetched.  I've just done a mooney and seen a theory that a) the whole part of the road was known as The Nob because of the big houses that were owned by rich nobs or b) the rich nobs used the bowling green that used to be there.  Something connected to Rich Nobs sounds plausible but I don't think there are any particularly grand houses there unless some big Victorian houses were knocked down for some inter war houses. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My 17 year old daughter is going to The Hare and Hounds tomorrow night for a 18 Month delayed album launch party by The Seagirls. 

I'm. Not entirely sure what to make of it in all honesty.  Sounds a bit back stage pass to me 🥺

17 is old to be going to her first gig unaccompanied I reckon. I was about 16 when I went to the first one my parents knew about (and about 14 to the ones they didn't know about)

EDIT: just checked I was actually 15

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

17 is old to be going to her first gig unaccompanied I reckon. I was about 16 when I went to the first one my parents knew about (and about 14 to the ones they didn't know about)

She's gone to gigs unaccompanied by adults,  but at big venues, not intimate shows with possible Operation Yewtree 2035 suspects strutting around. 

Just now, sidcow said:

She's gone to gigs unaccompanied by adults,  but at big venues, not intimate shows with possible Operation Yewtree 2035 suspects strutting around. 

erm bigger the venue the more suspects surely?

Dad paranoia that is :mrgreen:

Saw Bill Nighy and Michael Ward at Stansted Airport earlier filming something for Netflix about the homeless football World Cup, huge crew and set up

Michael Ward stopped for a hello, really nice guy 

My wife's been to England maybe 10 times I think and seen Bill Nighy filming something twice now 

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

#itsanalbumparty

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, sounds far fetched.  I've just done a mooney and seen a theory that a) the whole part of the road was known as The Nob because of the big houses that were owned by rich nobs or b) the rich nobs used the bowling green that used to be there.  Something connected to Rich Nobs sounds plausible but I don't think there are any particularly grand houses there unless some big Victorian houses were knocked down for some inter war houses. 

The curious thing is that in more innocent times, 'nob' was slang for one's head. So pubs called The King's Head would often be nicknamed The Nob. But this pub has (to the best of my knowledge) always been The King's Arms. I can remember having this conversation with my Dad (a connoisseur of all things pub-and-beer related) in the early 70s, and he was as baffled as I was. 

Nonetheless, I'm gratified that the nickname has continued to the present day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Kings Arms, shirley? It's always been called that (but colloquially, The Nob). 

A mate of mine used to work behind the bar there, so it was free beer for me until he got the sack. 

Sorry yeah Kings Arms but I think it’s turned into a stonehouse brand pizza place now and not sure of the name.

Edit: It’s called The Crown now. Once I’ve moved house this week my nearest boozer will now be the Three Horseshoes by Cocks Moors, never been in and it doesn’t look very inviting. 

Edited by Ingram85

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Sorry yeah Kings Arms but I think it’s turned into a stonehouse brand pizza place now and not sure of the name.

The Crown

Yes, I was sad enough to Google Streetview it as I was looking for a pub called The Nob :D 

• Like 1

Â