General Chat

Stevo985

On 23/09/2021 at 15:09, Stevo985 said:

Ian Bailey in West Cork is a very good example of why you should just shut the **** up if someone thinks you've done something bad

In his case I suspect irrespective of his involvement with the case I think he's the kind of narcissistic personality that perversely enjoys being part of the story, even if it's ruined his life.

7 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Just out of curiosity, where in King's Heath would you go to get a decent pint of bitter these days?

God I would love a decent pint of bitter here in Canada at the moment.

I wouldn’t, I’d go to Stirchley about 5 minutes away. Leading the way in brum brewery’s at the moment for me, attic brewery, glasshouse, wildcat etc… British Oak usually has a decent selection plus good grub plus up the road you’ve got cotteridge wines which do taster sessions and has the best selection of ales/ciders/ipas etc… in the city. Great little area for good quality grog. 

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

In his case I suspect irrespective of his involvement with the case I think he's the kind of narcissistic personality that perversely enjoys being part of the story, even if it's ruined his life.

Well exactly, that's kind of my point. If he didn't do it (and I think he did but for argument's sake let's pretend he didn't) then he kind of only has himself to blame because he's never shut up about it so everyone thinks he's done it.

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I wouldn’t, I’d go to Stirchley about 5 minutes away. Leading the way in brum brewery’s at the moment for me, attic brewery, glasshouse, wildcat etc… British Oak usually has a decent selection plus good grub plus up the road you’ve got cotteridge wines which do taster sessions and has the best selection of ales/ciders/ipas etc… in the city. Great little area for good quality grog. 

Yeah ... thanks ... I think. Mine was sort of a sort of a nostalgia question. Grew up in 444, but spent my last three years in the UK in Selly Park. So Stirchley back then was sort of a no man's land that had to be passed through. Glad it sounds like it's improved.

But if someone forced you to have a beer ... where in King's Heath?

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Yeah ... thanks ... I think. Mine was sort of a sort of a nostalgia question. Grew up in 444, but spent my last three years in the UK in Selly Park. So Stirchley back then was sort of a no man's land that had to be passed through. Glad it sounds like it's improved.

Stirchley is still rough in parts up towards Lifford Lane but the high street and factory/warehouse bits by the train station have seen a bit of change the last 2 years or so with start up breweries, East Asian restaurants, artisan bakeries/pizza places etc….

Kings Heath wise, if I was forced to then I guess The Station opposite the police station. But then by that point you’re so close to the top end of Moseley where you have The Village, Dark Horse (the old gate) etc…

Edited by Ingram85

7 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Hare and Hounds? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've got work vans that need diesel so we can go to breakdowns, but all the local ones have closed due to no fuel.

**** ridiculous.

We should have been taking action on Friday when it was clear we had a problem, yet the government have dithered and delayed and done absolutely **** all. What an absolute circus.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We should have been taking action on Friday when it was clear we had a problem, yet the government have dithered and delayed and done absolutely **** all. What an absolute circus.

CON + a billion

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Hare and Hounds? 

Not my scene, very busy, drinks wise it’s the usual suspects on tap that you get in 99.9% of pubs, a few scally’s and troublemakers going there now and again. When not going to an actual brewery type place I tend to favour the quieter ‘old man’ places with more unique ales or places that purposefully serve local ales and the more quirkier stuff. If you are in that part of the world then the tap room at the back of Cotteridge Wines can’t be beaten, not strictly kings Heath but it’s 5 minutes up the road. Dark Horse in Moseley in 2nd place. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Not my scene, very busy, drinks wise it’s the usual suspects on tap that you get in 99.9% of pubs, a few scally’s and troublemakers going there now and again. When not going to an actual brewery type place I tend to favour the quieter ‘old man’ places with more unique ales or places that purposefully serve local ales and the more quirkier stuff. If you are in that part of the world then the tap room at the back of Cotteridge Wines can’t be beaten, not strictly kings Heath but it’s 5 minutes up the road. Dark Horse in Moseley in 2nd place. 

If you're going to Moseley surely you'd go to The Prince of Wales or Fighting Cocks? 

Unfortunately despite KH being a childhood haunt of mine I've never actually drunk there. 

Nearest I've got is The Nob and Kings Heath Sports Club. In fact really if beer is your thing Kings Heath Sports Club is usually in The Good Beer Guide although I havent checked lately.  Its a good way out from the High Street though. 

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Not my scene, very busy, drinks wise it’s the usual suspects on tap that you get in 99.9% of pubs, a few scally’s and troublemakers going there now and again

Fair enough - I haven't been in there for about forty years, it's obviously changed!  :)

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you're going to Moseley surely you'd go to The Prince of Wales or Fighting Cocks? 

Unfortunately despite KH being a childhood haunt of mine I've never actually drunk there. 

Nearest I've got is The Nob and Kings Heath Sports Club. In fact really if beer is your thing Kings Heath Sports Club is usually in The Good Beer Guide although I havent checked lately.  Its a good way out from the High Street though. 

FC is ok, I like the quiet places though and a fair few colourful Moseleyites go there, bit of a Spoons overspill. Don’t like PoW either for same reason and it’s a bit of a dive inside yet I like the British Oak even though it’s the same owners.

I live just down from the Nob and it’s alright for a quick stop or cheap family lunch but you wouldn’t go there for a drink like you would a real ale pub I don’t think. Maybe I’m a bit snobbish about my booze 😂. I’d sooner drive out a little bit for a good drink in the countryside like the Peacock in Wythall or a few places out by Lapworth/Wyxford/Henley or summat.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Don’t like PoW, it’s a bit of a dive inside. Prefer British Oak even though it’s the same owners. I live just down from the Nob and it’s alright for a quick stop or cheap family lunch but you wouldn’t go there for a drink like you would a real ale pub I don’t think. Maybe I’m a bit snobbish about my booze 😂. I’d sooner drive out a little bit for a good drink like the Peacock in Wythall or a few places out by Lapworth/Wyxford/Henley or summat.

I've spent many happy hours in The Peacock but that's probably one for the good pubs thread. 

I've only been to The Nob for a meal and that was 20 odd years ago. 

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

've only been to The Nob for a meal and that was 20 odd years ago. 

Isn’t The Nob a Hungry Horse or something similar these days? I drove past it the other day and it didn’t look too inviting. 

I also feel duty-bound to confess that for all the times I drank there as a yout in the 90s, I only recently found out why it was called The Nob. And that was from a colleague down here in London. 

Edited by choffer
Missing a critical word.
  • Haha 1

Just now, choffer said:

Isn’t The Nob a Horse or something similar these days? I drove past it the other day and it didn’t look too inviting. 

I also feel duty-bound to confess that for all the times I drank there as a yout in the 90s, I only recently found out why it was called The Nob. And that was from a colleague down here in London. 

Kings Head now. It ain’t great but there’s a lot worse. 

47 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Kings Head now. It ain’t great but there’s a lot worse. 

Kings Arms, shirley? It's always been called that (but colloquially, The Nob). 

A mate of mine used to work behind the bar there, so it was free beer for me until he got the sack. 

Edited by mjmooney

10 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Not my side of the city... but i've been to gigs at the Station and the Hare and Hounds. Both good places. Nice selection of ales and live music occasionally. 

Â