General Chat

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No. Although she has done in previous years, it's no biggie. I was just surprised how fast September is going. 

Me and my wife exchanged gifts and cards this year on the wrong day. We both got it 2 days early somehow.

Mine was earlier this month and I would actually have forgotten if Mrs Sidcow hadn't mentioned it. 

We've got the silver next year 😮😮

We share our anniversary with some close friends and I'm pretty sure this is the first year since we were married that neither me or my mate have reminded each other. 

Further afield on this one but I'd recommend to anybody who likes beaches to go to Weymouth for a few days. It's stunning stunning down there with views towards Osmington and Lulworth Cove a bit further along.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Louis said:

Further afield on this one but I'd recommend to anybody who likes beaches to go to Weymouth for a few days. It's stunning stunning down there with views towards Osmington and Lulworth Cove a bit further along.

I went there a few years ago and was really impressed. A lot less rundown than a lot of seaside towns. 

Edited by sidcow

On 11/09/2021 at 11:52, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Trying to help 8 year old granddaughter,  really struggling with times tables (EG 4 x).

Any tips or tricks ? I was going to make things with dots on or similar but someone may know something better ?

ta,

You can get a x table stick. It's like a metre stick split into different sections so you can count forwards and backwards with them, a nice visual aid. 

Try and help her break it down into easier things to remember and for her to see relationships between numbers. E.g 1x4, 5x4, 10x4 and 11 x 4 are all easy ones to remember. 1x4 doubled is 2x4. 20 + 4 is easy to do mentally so there is 6x4. Half of 6 is 3 and half of 24 is 12 so there's 3 x 4. Obviously not all in 1 sitting but seeing these links will help her in Maths and understanding other tables. 

There's also an app called Times Table Rockstar that kids love to use. Most schools have accounts for children now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Louis said:

It's where we go as a family annually. This year had an apartment on the harbour. Love the place. 

There's another place that's near me that's called the Devils Punchbowl (National Trust site) in Hindhead, Surrey. Great views overlooking towards Guildford and London! Also great for mounting biking too.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You can get a x table stick. It's like a metre stick split into different sections so you can count forwards and backwards with them, a nice visual aid.

I would second this recommendation @Amsterdam_Neil_D, it was certainly a big part of how I learned them back in the day. I think mine actually doubled as a pencil case now I think back to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s looking like rising energy prices are just the start of the imminent problems for the Uk. Link

A sharp rise in global gas prices has meant two large fertiliser plants in Teesside and Cheshire, which produce CO2 as a by-product, have shut.

Britain faces shortages of frozen meals and even Christmas turkey due to a sudden shortage of carbon dioxide used by the food and drink industry.

Meat supplies to supermarkets and restaurants will be affected within days by shortage of the gas, which is instrumental to refrigeration and delivery.

As an aside, it’s pretty annoying how they keep mentioning it impacting Christmas 😱 to really hit home.

Gonna spend months freezing to death because those less fortunate can’t afford gas? No biggy.

Frozen meat might be missing from the freezer in December? OMG it’s the end of the world.

Previously with the HGV drivers it was a big problem because of deliveries of toys for Christmas, not the actual important stuff like food and medicine.

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s looking like rising energy prices are just the start of the imminent problems for the Uk. Link

As an aside, it’s pretty annoying how they keep mentioning it impacting Christmas 😱 to really hit home.

Gonna spend months freezing to death because those less fortunate can’t afford gas? No biggy.

Frozen meat might be missing from the freezer in December? OMG it’s the end of the world.

Previously with the HGV drivers it was a big problem because of deliveries of toys for Christmas, not the actual important stuff like food and medicine.

If you got 5+ kids and on benefits, everybody knows toys, Sky TV and mobile phones are far more important than food.

• Like 1

Â