General Chat

Stevo985

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I successfully managed to disconnect my broken washing machine, shimmy it through the house and down the driveway ready for the scrap man to take it away. It took me about 15 minutes but I was really pleased with myself that I’d managed to shift it.

An hour later, a man pulled up, picked it up like it was an empty cardboard box, carried it to his van and placed it in the back.

When we moved house I couldn't believe the removal men.  They were like man machines. Massive box/furniture/appliance - pick it up like it's an empty shoe box, waltz it to the van, come back with zero rest and pick up the next thing over and over and over.  Amazing work. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

When we moved house I couldn't believe the removal men.  They were like man machines. Massive box/furniture/appliance - pick it up like it's an empty shoe box, waltz it to the van, come back with zero rest and pick up the next thing over and over and over.  Amazing work. 

Same here. Can’t remember how much we paid, but it was about £800 I think. I was toying with doing it myself and asking some family/friends to help. 
Having watched them move all my crap, in the snow, it seemed like the best money I’d ever spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Same here. Can’t remember how much we paid, but it was about £800 I think. I was toying with doing it myself and asking some family/friends to help. 
Having watched them move all my crap, in the snow, it seemed like the best money I’d ever spent.

Yeah, I was amazed how little it cost.  And agree, even with friends and family it probably would have taken days. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

We're having a family Christmas dinner tomorrow, since we couldn't do it last December. Turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, the lot. On the hottest day of the year. 

I suppose this is what it's like being Australian. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We're having a family Christmas dinner tomorrow, since we couldn't do it last December. Turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, the lot. On the hottest day of the year. 

I used to exchange an Xmas card with a mate. He sent it first. It said. “Happy sprout day” on the front, inside it said “Jesus loves you… everyone else thinks you’re a word removed”

So happy belated sprout day 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

It’s proper weird. Walking round shops in the sun 40 degrees, hearing music blaring out with snow and sleigh bells and stuff in the lyrics. Tinsel on desert shrubs, gardens decorated thusly

632EB85C-1CC1-41FE-B4A1-E7BD89C27E61.jpeg

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s proper weird. Walking round shops in the sun 40 degrees, hearing music blaring out with snow and sleigh bells and stuff in the lyrics. Tinsel on desert shrubs, gardens decorated thusly

When they made up a date for Jesus to be born to stop pagan observance of the solstice, surely southern hemisphere Jesus would have to be born in late June 🕵️‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

surely southern hemisphere Jesus would have to be born in late June 🕵️‍♂️

What … and I know it’s a long shot… but what if there isn’t one?🔍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My sister and her two boys have tested positive for covid. They’re feeling okay but they’ve lost their sense of taste and smell.

My wife, being the lovely person she is, figured they’d be a bit fed up stuck in the house so ordered some surprises online to be sent to them.

A scented candle for my sister and sweets for the boys.

Come On Reaction GIF

That you are actually married is beginning to make sense now

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

632EB85C-1CC1-41FE-B4A1-E7BD89C27E61.jpeg

One of the wife's friends from uni is a marketing person for Cadbury's in Australia. She says trying to sell advent calendars and chocolate Santa's etc is almost impossible in 40c.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

**** me, apparently I am now a mentor.  I cannot emphasise just how badly that reflects on VT. 

I feel I've learnt a lot from you. 

Spoiler

Mainly what not to do but still... 

:trollface:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

**** me, apparently I am now a mentor.  I cannot emphasise just how badly that reflects on VT. 

Its political correctness gone mad. 

Imagine my surprise when I landed here. We had a reasonable budget, an idea in mind and were all excited to make the big splash.

image.png.504463a95334c59adb520a3133726eb9.png

So far we still haven't been able to close on a holiday home.

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Are lava lamps cool again yet?

I want a lava lamp.

No, but that shouldn’t stop you from buying one. I’ve inherited one along the way at some point. I rarely use it, but it’s provoked a moment or two of curiosity in my kid.

Ditto a Tesla/plasma ball (I’ve got one of them too). On the whole I think they’re a little bit more “fun”.

• Like 1

Â