General Chat

Stevo985

This is just ridiculous. We put things on the fridge so we can remember hospital appointments , or just general stuff we need to sort out . How the hell are you meant to see the letters. Parts of the door is 4 papers thick . This is not my doing by the way .  Oh yeah and the missus bought the Trump magnet when she went to New York 😀

6653C3F3-4E90-458C-9C49-2A5528CB19D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This is just ridiculous. We put things on the fridge so we can remember hospital appointments , or just general stuff we need to sort out . How the hell are you meant to see the letters. Parts of the door is 4 papers thick . This is not my doing by the way .  Oh yeah and the missus bought the Trump magnet when she went to New York 😀

I can’t believe you have Orange squash and not Orange and Pineapple

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t believe you have Orange squash and not Orange and Pineapple

Can’t stand the stuff. My wife mistakenly gets it me at least 3-4 times a year. I can’t drink it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Are they your drawings Ruge?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

My sister has just sent me a picture of a young deer.

In Birmingham.

In Digbeth.

In the enclosed courtyard of her apartment complex. 

I've told her to call the RSPCA.

How the **** has it got there???

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/urban-deer-are-on-the-rise-in-birmingham-says-131630

BIRMINGHAM commuters will have to get used to sharing the city with wild deer, according to a top wildlife expert.

After a lonely muntjac deer was snapped in its new lodgings near the River Rea in Digbeth, freelance wildlife consultant Dr Jochen Langbein said deer numbers were on the rise in urban areas.

14 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Absolutely no idea.

received_109509324637016.jpeg

Double post...

So sod it, before anyone else says it. Hard to tell if it's 'still' or not from a photo. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

My sister has just sent me a picture of a young deer.

In Birmingham.

In Digbeth.

In the enclosed courtyard of her apartment complex. 

I've told her to call the RSPCA.

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

How the **** has it got there???

They walk down Railway lines.  Some friends of ours have a garden that backs onto the Stratford Line in Yardley Wood and they frequently get deer in their garden.  I know they've walked down as far as Hall Green.   Just keep going and they could end up in Digbeth easy peasy.

I expect the reduced train frequencies have helped as well, if the lines are quieter they will be less disturbed on their journey down the line.   

Thinking about it, if they walk down railway lines they probably walk down canal towpaths as well. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They walk down Railway lines.  Some friends of ours have a garden that backs onto the Stratford Line in Yardley Wood and they frequently get deer in their garden.  I know they've walked down as far as Hall Green.   Just keep going and they could end up in Digbeth easy peasy.

I expect the reduced train frequencies have helped as well, if the lines are quieter they will be less disturbed on their journey down the line.   

Thinking about it, if they walk down railway lines they probably walk down canal towpaths as well. 

I've seen deer walking along the Leeds Liverpool canal in the past. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've seen deer walking along the Leeds Liverpool canal in the past. 

Seen 'em in the middle of Leeds. 

Funny you should mention that canal, it's ten minutes' walk from our house, and the deer live in the woods (Cragg Woods) that border it. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seen 'em in the middle of Leeds. 

Funny you should mention that canal, it's ten minutes' walk from our house, and the deer live in the woods (Cragg Woods) that border it. 

Before we moved it was 100 yards from our house. Used to see them all the time around Riddlesden golf course and the surrounding woods. Seeing them jump/scramble walls about 8 foot tall in St Ives was probably the best I've ever seen them. 

• Like 1

Our Office backs onto the Leeds Liverpool Canal, they don't get this far down the cut, they probably get hunted in Netherton and those that escape that get finished off in Litherland

Up until this week, my only knowledge of Bradford was what I see on the TV. So my impression of Bradford was that it was some covid infested outpost of the Taliban.

Having spent a few days there, I thought it was really nice. One of the nicest places I’ve been, and friendly too. Like everywhere, it had its grim areas, but it also obviously had some decent spaces, impressive buildings, nice parks, good shops and some really nice pretty leafy terraced streets. Incidentally, streets that had been changed to resident only parking, no through roads, priority to pedestrians and cyclists. So right up there with the very worst of London traffic schemes. There was also a chippy, Grace’s, that possibly cooked the best piece of chip shop fish I’ve ever had.

Car parking was plentiful and cheap. I think i paid £1 an hour in an NCP. There were multiple record shops and cafe’s and places selling trendy craft beers. A 10 minute drive from some decent countryside.

I’ve googled up the house prices and basically, £100,000 less than I’d have expected, if I hadn’t known it was Bradford.

It felt like one of those places you could ‘cash in’ when it comes to retirement. You’re not out in the sticks, 3 hours from a hospital or a supermarket. But you could house swap from lots of other towns and cash in £100,000 in the process.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Up until this week, my only knowledge of Bradford was what I see on the TV. So my impression of Bradford was that it was some covid infested outpost of the Taliban.

Having spent a few days there, I thought it was really nice. One of the nicest places I’ve been, and friendly too. Like everywhere, it had its grim areas, but it also obviously had some decent spaces, impressive buildings, nice parks, good shops and some really nice pretty leafy terraced streets. Incidentally, streets that had been changed to resident only parking, no through roads, priority to pedestrians and cyclists. So right up there with the very worst of London traffic schemes. There was also a chippy, Grace’s, that possibly cooked the best piece of chip shop fish I’ve ever had.

Car parking was plentiful and cheap. I think i paid £1 an hour in an NCP. There were multiple record shops and cafe’s and places selling trendy craft beers. A 10 minute drive from some decent countryside.

I’ve googled up the house prices and basically, £100,000 less than I’d have expected, if I hadn’t known it was Bradford.

It felt like one of those places you could ‘cash in’ when it comes to retirement. You’re not out in the sticks, 3 hours from a hospital or a supermarket. But you could house swap from lots of other towns and cash in £100,000 in the process.

I live almost on the Leeds/Bradford border, and house prices plummet as you cross the line. Unfortunately, car insurance premiums double (that's if you can get car insurance at all - some areas they simply won't touch). 

Yes, there are some nice bits, but the city has suffered from decades of underinvestment and neglect. That and the financial pull of the 'big brother' down the road (just like the satellite towns around Birmingham and Manchester). Having worked there for nearly thirty years, I'm glad to see the back of it, tbh. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Â