General Chat

Stevo985

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Who was the lucky VTer that had coitus with Fearne Cotton? Did I imagine that?

This is news to me. I’ve spent the best part of 5 years reading you lot and I thought the best interaction that had been achieved here with a female celebrity was the bloke pretending to be a female snowboarder.

The search function gives an indication it was someone by the name of @GaztonVilla? But it’s not a definitive answer as unless I’m missing something the original statement seems like it’s long gone.

Whatever the truth, judging by the search I just did, ten years ago Fearne Cotton seems like she was a more polarising character than I would have expected.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That rings a bell, does the legend also go he DHUTWU?

I don’t recall that part, but I’m now taking that as fact.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This is news to me. I’ve spent the best part of 5 years reading you lot and I thought the best interaction that had been achieved here with a female celebrity was the bloke pretending to be a female snowboarder.

The search function gives an indication it was someone by the name of @GaztonVilla? But it’s not a definitive answer as unless I’m missing something the original statement seems like it’s long gone.

Whatever the truth, judging by the search I just did, ten years ago Fearne Cotton seems like she was a more polarising character than I would have expected.

Good detective work! I always forget about the search function. 

Here’s to you @GaztonVilla, wherever you are :cheers:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

To be fair, I once stood guard as Louise Nurding got changed in my bedroom but I was on the other side of the door so probably doesn’t quite count. If only webcams were a thing then. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, choffer said:

To be fair, I once stood guard as Louise Nurding got changed in my bedroom but I was on the other side of the door so probably doesn’t quite count. If only webcams were a thing then. 

You didn't smash it then? 

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So I've decided to start playing golf. Got the green card sorted next weekend. 

Not sure what I think about myself tbh. Never thought I'd end up doing that, but is what it is. 

adam sandler golf GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My kids school sports day there would be dads saying I hope their isn’t a dads race … and yet they just happened to be wearing trainers with their suits 

the kids schools never did parents races , which is as it should be

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Afaik Tottenham is a road and an area of London. What's the story behind the name Tottenham? Such a funny name I'm intrigued.

Without googling, ham will derive from hamlet, a kind of village here in britain. So my guess way back in a single digit century, toten had a hamlet. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

London as it is now is far larger than it used to be. Up until about 200 years ago the area was considered to be outside London, it was basically the gateway to the north.

People would leave London and there would be a staging post or ‘pub’ where you could either get a meal as the coach changed horses, or grab food and drink for the journey. You could get a tot of spirits, and some gammon or ham. The public house quickly became known as the tot and ham.

It was owned by a short bearded fella that sold second rate writing materials, known as hamstrads.

More recently, the area was infamous for supporting Argentina’s claim to the Malvinas and was briefly referred to as tottingham, which is South American rhyming slang for super league shit hole you’re having a laugh.

It's hard for me to seperate the fact from the jokes here tbh. Are the first two paragraphs legit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Afaik Tottenham is a road and an area of London. What's the story behind the name Tottenham? Such a funny name I'm intrigued.

Tottenham is believed to have been named after Tota, a farmer, whose hamlet was mentioned in the Domesday Book. 'Tota's hamlet', it is thought, developed into 'Tottenham'. The settlement was recorded in the Domesday Book as Toteham, in the ancient hundred of Edmonton. It is not related to Tottenham Court Road in Central London, though the two names share a similar-sounding root.

Wiki

• Like 1

Similarly Birmingham is believed to derive from Beormingaham - Beorma's people's home. Beorma is likely to have been an Anglo-Saxon tribe leader, or perhaps a legendary figure as opposed to a real person. Either way people that viewed themselves as tethered to him called the area home and over the years the name changed.

Kinda curious as to why you think Tottenham is an unusual name, @KenjiOgiwara? Maybe it’s overfamiliarity on my part, but is it a stranger place name than say, Runnymede or Braintree?

I will say that it is kinda quirky the club have Henry Percy’s nickname as part of the club’s name. It was only relatively recently I learned the names were directly linked. I’m not sure what I thought before. 

Â