General Chat

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, trekka said:

It really isn't that simple.  My neighbour for instance is asthmatic and avoids the lift because the stench of the leftover smell really affects her.  Then the poor old dear has to walk (thankfully only two floors) up the stairs. 

What does being asthmatic have to do with a ‘bad’ smell?! 

sorry but I call bullshit on that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If you smoke it then I imagine it’s lovely, to everyone else and the vast majority it stinks and we’d rather not have to smell it. 

Okay, move away from it then, or close the windows/doors.

I don’t think your understanding this, it’s not a fart that dissipates after a few seconds, it sticks around for hours, if someone regularly does it in the same area it gets ingrained into the walls and will forever stink. To someone who lives in flats, apartments or shared accommodation and their neighbour smokes it then they will have to smell it forever more and depending on how much they smoke then that smell starts to encroach into peoples homes across the way. Its **** rank. Someone cooking cheese in their kitchen doesn’t invade your actual home does it? Weed can. 

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If you smoke it then I imagine it’s lovely, to everyone else and the vast majority it stinks and we’d rather not have to smell it. 

Nearly everybody can agree that shit smells awful.

Flies love it though and they are just as vital to the harmony of this planet as you and I .

It takes an infinity of angles to make a football.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

What does being asthmatic have to do with a ‘bad’ smell?! 

sorry but I call bullshit on that.

Which is entirely within your rights but you don't seem to grasp that some people may be affected by it.  I'll refer you to the NHS Website. Is that bullshit too? It isn't just the smell, those who have to regularly breathe in the leftover smoke in e.g. lifts can be affected.  

making symptoms of asthma worse in people with asthma

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Nearly everybody can agree that shit smells awful.

Flies love it though and they are just as vital to the harmony of this planet as you and I .

It takes an infinity of angles to make a football.

But those flies aren’t insisting that everyone just has to love the smell of their chosen bit of excrement. 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

But those flies aren’t insisting that everyone just has to love the smell of their chosen bit of excrement. 

Correct .

What they are telling you though is that you wouldn't be here to love anything if it wasn't for the fly.

13 minutes ago, trekka said:

Which is entirely within your rights but you don't seem to grasp that some people may be affected by it.  I'll refer you to the NHS Website. Is that bullshit too? It isn't just the smell, those who have to regularly breathe in the leftover smoke in e.g. lifts can be affected.  

People shouldn’t be smoking in lifts full stop, so the issue there is less that it’s weed and more that it’s smoking in an enclosed space which is illegal, take that up with the relevant authorities if it bothers you or the ‘old lady’ that much.

I’m asthmatic and a weed smoker, the two are not mutually exclusive.

13 minutes ago, trekka said:

You're not getting this.  Why should they have to?

Because they don’t like the smell drifting in? It’s kinda like when you have to get your clothes in off the line because next door are firing up a BBQ.

I am getting it, some people don’t like the smell of weed, other people don’t mind it and then some people enjoy it, I go back to the earlier point, it’s about compromise.

I don’t go to a restaurant and then start kicking off because the table next to me has melted cheese on their meal, despite the fact I can’t stand that smell.

Let's all meet in the middle of the spectrum and shake hands. That's how you create the waves for the entire amazing spectrum . It's also how the Universe began . 

That's how you learn to love unconditionally.  royGbiv .

All meet in the Green Fields.

On 03/06/2021 at 20:03, bickster said:

Seriously amateurish, in my heyday I could skin up without the use of a flat surface, generally just using the palm of my hand. I was notorious for it. People used to wake me up just to skin up for them because they were too stoned already.

If skinning up was an Olympic Sport, I'd have been a medal contender

12 inch Matt and Rips, the way forward. Saves on building time 

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because they don’t like the smell drifting in? It’s kinda like when you have to get your clothes in off the line because next door are firing up a BBQ.

I am getting it, some people don’t like the smell of weed, other people don’t mind it and then some people enjoy it, I go back to the earlier point, it’s about compromise.

I don’t go to a restaurant and then start kicking off because the table next to me has melted cheese on their meal, despite the fact I can’t stand that smell.

You would have gone to that restaurant knowing full well that there was a chance of someone eating something that you didn't like the smell of.  That was your choice.  

If weed is legalised, then people will smoke it. If they smoke it in their back garden or out of their window or whatever, you might catch a whiff of it.

I dunno, it's a big society, sometimes we just have to rub along a bit. People used to complain about Indians, 'oh I don't mind them, it's the smell of their cooking I can't stand' - I think if you heard someone who was not very elderly say that nowadays you would probably think they were testing the waters to see your tolerance for racism.

At the same time, it's nice to be nice, people should be mindful of others. If you live in a multi-occupancy building, don't smoke anything in the lifts or the communal areas; if you think your neighbours might be able to smell it and it might bother them, open your windows, turn a fan on, light some incence.

It's good to rub along really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay, well I hate fish so therefore anyone cooking fish is an affront to my personal space.

If the area smelt of kippers 18 hours a day then i'd agree with you. Usually with people cooking fish, it'll only be for a short time, every now and again. The stench of weed in our communal hallways was constant. It didn't reach my apartment as I was a few floors above but the poor person opposite couldn't escape the stink. 

As it happens, the girl who was smoking weed all day was a dealer as well and that was what led to her being evicted by her landlord. 

Its all about moderation and being respectful of other people, especially when you live in an apartment block. The chap in the flat beneath me had his music very loud last Saturday for about 3 hours. But it was the first time i'd heard him in six months so that was ok. If I could hear his music 12 hours a day, every day, we'd be having a frank exchange of words and i'd be jumping up and down wearing clogs to get my own back! 

Now, where did I put my wheel of gorgonzola...

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I think you’re almost getting the point.

Imagine your next door neighbour had a little kitchen sink cheese business, and at night your house smells of cheese. If you open your windows, it smells of cheese. The lift to your flat smells of cheese. If you go walk through the park, it smells of cheese.

It’s like the good old bad old days when people smoked fags on the bus or the train or in the pub and you’d get home and as a none smoker your clothes were full of rank fag smoke. But smokers couldn’t smell it, so argued that everything was just fine.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never experienced that with people that eat cheese.

Apparently (according to one Japanese girl so said it directly to my wife and some talk on reddit etc), to a lot of Asian people, Westerners smell like stale milk and we don't smell it as we're use to the smell. 

I can't stand the smell of anything people smoke, cigarettes, cigars, weed or vapes (which is somewhat interesting to me as I've smoked a lot of things in the past). I do however think there's some merit in legalising weed. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Apparently (according to one Japanese girl so said it directly to my wife and some talk on reddit etc), to a lot of Asian people, Westerners smell like stale milk and we don't smell it as we're use to the smell. 

I can't stand the smell of anything people smoke, cigarettes, cigars, weed or vapes (which is somewhat interesting to me as I've smoked a lot of things in the past). I do however think there's some merit in legalising weed. 

Oh yeah, there’s a couple of separate points here.

There’s no logic in being able to pop to the shops and buy tobacco and vodka, but not weed. I don’t think there are very many on VT that would argue otherwise.

It’s the stink, that users appear to be ignorant of, that is the discussion here. 

I’d be impressed if a selection of Japanese girls could smell me and tell if I drank milk. I’d probably pay for that experiment to happen.

But I doubt my cheese smell would linger in their curtains and carpets. Not unless the experiment had gone spectacularly well.

• Haha 1

Â