General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I was one of those who didn't read the instructions and did it about 3 weeks ago

Based on his posts , I would love to know how @Demitri_C answered the "What is your main language  " question  :)

For some reason memebers in thw freek community were saying we should put down greek Cypriot as opposed to British. I classify myself as British as i have lived here all my life

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

For some reason memebers in thw freek community were saying we should put down greek Cypriot as opposed to British. I classify myself as British as i have lived here all my life

staring watanabe naomi GIF

• Like 1

People were mentally and physically older back then. By older, i mean more knackered.

For any number of reasons. 

Manual work that was more prevalent, more physical, and more dangerous. Not only aren’t there as many physical jobs any more, they aren’t as physical. Nobody carries a hod of bricks around a building site anymore. Nobody has to pick up weights that will crush knee joints over time. Nobody has to clean out a chemicals vat by holding their breath and running in and cleaning down as much as possible before the stink gets to them.

The NHS are fixing our knees and hips and eyes and teeth and hernias like never before. 

In the 1970’s a bloke would have a proper job that would see him needing to retire at 60 because his body was knackered. Now with decent knees, there’s every chance the equivalent bloke goes paddle boarding on the weekend. once he’s going paddle boarding, he’s wanting a beanie hat, once he’s got a beanie, he thinks he can listen to the latest hip tunes, like Green Day.

That’s going to change your mental outlook, your perception of the world. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure how they are defining middle aged as a 13 year time period from age 66 when average life expectancy in UK is 81.

There is no doubt though that what is considered old has changed. I can remember my nan appearing (way she dressed, didn't dye her hair etc) and acting really old by the time she was in her 50's yet my mom in her 70's looks and acts younger than her mom did in her 50's. That is not just my perception as I am now older by the way as my daughters don't class my mom or people of a similar age as being really old. 

I think what is a shame is that as people have lived longer the retirement age keeps getting higher and higher so you don't reap any benefits in terms of having longer to enjoy your retirement. It is also one thing living longer but it is also about quality of life and being fit enough to enjoy those extra few years rather than just spending them existing.

When i'm watching older TV shows, i'm staggered how old some people look compared to their age at the time. Watching On The Buses the other day and Bob Grant was between 37 and 41 when he was in them

zbOgcGS.jpg

Also when watching an old Morse, one of the first episodes, Clive Swift was in it. In the picture below, Swift (left) is 51 and Thaw, 45

COIQO25.jpg

My Dad is 70 this year and looks younger than both! 

• Like 4

Well @Xela, your reference to Bob Grant prompted me to have a quick look at his biography. Obviously aware of him from On the buses, but other than that, I don’t know much about him.

That Wikipedia entry was quite a bit darker towards the end than I had anticipated.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well @Xela, your reference to Bob Grant prompted me to have a quick look at his biography. Obviously aware of him from On the buses, but other than that, I don’t know much about him.

That Wikipedia entry was quite a bit darker towards the end than I had anticipated.

Yeah, its a sad tale isn't it. He obviously struggled for a number of years with depression :( 

So different to his character on On The Buses

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Blimey.  2 Apache attack helicopters have just flown over the house.  Solihull is now on the front line.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 18:00, Ingram85 said:

Can people subscribe and watch my crap YouTube channel too? I only have 13 subscribers 😂. It’s about Japanese subscription boxes and video games. Think the link is in my profile. 

I subbed to Tech and Wrestling years ago and never saw anymore videos :(

On 21/03/2021 at 17:43, sidcow said:

Christ, come on VT, am I the only one watching it? 

I watched, then completely forgot about the channel and got a notification the other day for a completely unpronouncable channel I had seemingly subscribed to. It's only when I clicked it I remembered :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I subbed to Tech and Wrestling years ago and never saw anymore videos :(

Blimey id forgot all about that. I don’t think the original video still exists. I was still with my ex wife when I did that. In the intervening years life has completely changed. I have forgot a lot from then. I stopped collecting figures for a while but have started up again recently lol. I’ll just focus on Japanese stuff and games for now though. Cheers.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Blimey id forgot all about that. I don’t think the original video still exists. I was still with my ex wife when I did that. In the intervening years life has completely changed. I have forgot a lot from then. I stopped collecting figures for a while but have started up again recently lol. I’ll just focus on Japanese stuff and games for now though. Cheers.

I've subbed to the new one too. I'll check out some of the vids later

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Blimey.  2 Apache attack helicopters have just flown over the house.  Solihull is now on the front line.

You better have your Flags on full show Sid.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I watched, then completely forgot about the channel and got a notification the other day for a completely unpronouncable channel I had seemingly subscribed to. It's only when I clicked it I remembered :D

Snap. Confused the hell out of me for a second or two. Thought my account had been hacked. 

• Like 1

Â