General Chat

Stevo985

Without commenting on that specific poster or episode, I do sometimes feel sad that there are seemingly zero active female members of the forum. I don't think any football forum would ever be anything other than a very male-dominated space, but I do remember that when I first started reading there were four or five regular female posters, and one way or another they all seem to have left.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Without commenting on that specific poster or episode, I do sometimes feel sad that there are seemingly zero active female members of the forum. I don't think any football forum would ever be anything other than a very male-dominated space, but I do remember that when I first started reading there were four or five regular female posters, and one way or another they all seem to have left.

And weirdly I think VT used to be a lot more male centred than it is now

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That poster came back briefly and within a few hours someone commented on one of her posts about it being her time of the month, and she left for good...  chances are if she joined now , that sort of post wouldn’t happen ( well not within hours at least)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

That poster came back briefly and within a few hours someone commented on one of her posts about it being her time of the month, and she left for good...  chances are if she joined now , that sort of post wouldn’t happen ( well not within hours at least)

Yeah that’s kind of what I meant with my post above. I feel like VT is less chauvinistic than it used to be

I was grabbing some grub from the freezer and the lower, plastic hinge for the freezer broke of the metal hinge. Part of my left hand is now bone dry with gorilla glue that didn't solve anything (it fixed the plastic hinge back in to the freezer door but I don't have a torx head screw-driver to remove the metal hinge to get the angle to get it back on. I rent from a land-lord/friend of friends. Not sure what to do. Oven, washing machine and fridge/freezer are supposedly things the landlord has to supply but in the current situation, I feel bad mentioning it though. I guess we could replace it ourselves but state that should we ever move, it comes with us? 

I feel bad for whinging about this but it's such a ball-ache, especially as we have a well-stocked freezer (not from stock-piling) that's going down  the swanee. At least the fridge is fine though. 

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I was grabbing some grub from the freezer and the lower, plastic hinge for the freezer broke of the metal hinge. Part of my left hand is now bone dry with gorilla glue that didn't solve anything (it fixed the plastic hinge back in to the freezer door but I don't have a torx head screw-driver to remove the metal hinge to get the angle to get it back on. I rent from a land-lord/friend of friends. Not sure what to do. Oven, washing machine and fridge/freezer are supposedly things the landlord has to supply but in the current situation, I feel bad mentioning it though. I guess we could replace it ourselves but state that should we ever move, it comes with us? 

I feel bad for whinging about this but it's such a ball-ache, especially as we have a well-stocked freezer (not from stock-piling) that's going down  the swanee. At least the fridge is fine though. 

Don't feel bad. There's no fault involved. A solution is required - whether it's getting a torx screwdriver from a hardware store/internet or a new freezer from the landlord or yourself as you mention - phone him/her and talk it through. It's easily sorted, but you need a working freezer and not to lose the food.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Don't feel bad. There's no fault involved. A solution is required - whether it's getting a torx screwdriver from a hardware store/internet or a new freezer from the landlord or yourself as you mention - phone him/her and talk it through. It's easily sorted, but you need a working freezer and not to lose the food.

In the meantime, close the door with gaffa tape (if you have some). 

Screenshot_20200422_120939_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In the meantime, close the door with gaffa tape (if you have some). 

Screenshot_20200422_120939_com.android.chrome.jpg

It's almost true, silicone sealant needs to be added to the list. A mate mine used to own an old farmhouse in the middle nowhere, mid wales and he swore his household repairs were all done with gaffer / WD40 / Silicone sealant

• Like 1

For the deluxe kit, Speed tape, too. It's an aviation thing, so a lot of people may not know about it, but that stuff's brilliant - it's basically sticky metal (aluminium alloy) tape that comes in various thicknesses and widths and sticks really fast to most material, is way stronger and more durable than bodge tape and is waterproof and has structural strength to a greater degree. Massively useful stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Thanks guys. Managed to get it sorted. After routing through the shed I found one of those multi-head screwdrivers that I didn't realise had torx attachments. Gorilla glued the bit that snapped off back on to the door. It's holding up well now. I shoved towels in the gaps overnight and thankfully it kept everything frozen. I won man points with the other half by fixing it and going to gain some more now by firing up the bbq and standing over it more than necessary until I stink of charcoal smoke. 

I don’t know if you listen to it, but that sounds like the greatest ‘Martin’s Hot Tap’ ever* 

* It’s a feature on the Johnny Vaughan, radio x drive time  show. Basically listeners write in with genius home fixes for things they can’t be arsed to get done properly. Some of them are amazing, I’ve been in tears of laughter several times on the M5 on the way home. The lengths people will go to, to not get things fixed/replaced are amazing. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Check the contract 

When I rented, the flat came with a fridge/freezer, washing machine and cooker but it was detailed that if they broke then they wouldn't be replaced by the landlord and I would have to fund the replacements myself (and remove them when I left)

Luckily in 6 years I had no problem and they worked. 

EDIT: you sorted it!

Edited by Xela

Â