General Chat

Stevo985

Any plumbers/diy experts out there? 

I had a plumber booked to fix my tap but he's not coming now.  It hardly turns and runs with a dribble.  He said it needs greasing. 

Anyway I suddenly remembered I had a tap refresher set so all I need to do is unscrew the tap, unbolt the cartridge then bolt in the new cartridge. 

Only problem is I just cannot remove the handle.  I've obviously taken the cap off and removed the securing screw.  I think it's just completely corroded.  I've plastered it in WD40 and tapped it reasonably strongly with a hammer, tried to lever it off with a big screwdriver.  I just cannot get it to budge. 

Anyone got any advice?  It's a Bristan Regency, this is a picture. 

04f26bcd-8fa6-45c6-9153-882c15b8c38b.jpg

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Only problem is I just cannot remove the handle.  I've obviously taken the cap off and removed the securing screw.  I think it's just completely corroded.  I've plastered it in WD40 and tapped it reasonably strongly with a hammer, tried to lever it off with a big screwdriver.  I just cannot get it to budge. 

external-content.duckduckgo-1.jpg.4264b92350a197f4271c80a76fbbcbc8.jpg

These are absurdly useful tools. They cost less than a tenner. They're good for spacing slabs in the garden, removing nails and staples, general prying and tw*****g stuff. Secondarily they can serve as a hammer or chisel.

Been in the same situation as you and used one of these plus hammer. To not scratch the tap I wrapped a few layers of gaffer tape around the bar, where it'll be in contact with the tap for leverage.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Customers also bought:

knit-classic-face-mask-balaclava.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Ah - File under things you sacrifice when you move in with a girl, along with other handy items, like a life sized skeleton or a set of American football armour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How long until TikTok is shut down? The videos I’ve seen on Facebook seem to be exclusively young girls, many must be close to or under 16 wearing very little, shaking their tits.
It just seems to be a platform for people to perv on young girls.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, we need one contrary wrong voice on here to give some ‘balance’ for those that hilariously think there’s a lefty pc bias.

pretty mich saw a few posts and the centre right voice didnt chirp up, I immediately thought where is Tony. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

pretty mich saw a few posts and the centre right voice didnt chirp up, I immediately thought where is Tony. 

I’ve noticed the comedian Geoff Norcott is doing a lot of tv this week.

Could be he’s actually @tonyh29 in a sort of reversal of the Jenny Jones sting. An actual low level celebrity, on here, pretending not to be funny.

😇

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

How long until TikTok is shut down? The videos I’ve seen on Facebook seem to be exclusively young girls, many must be close to or under 16 wearing very little, shaking their tits.

Damm, guess you need an account😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

:ph34r:

I guess it will remain popular while 'celebrities' use it. It seems to be the latest fad for people at the moment, especially as they locked down and bored. 

Plus hasn't it been rumoured to be spyware for the Chinese Government?! 

I’m going to claim I saved the life of a bee.

My kids showed me a nifty trick a few weeks ago, where they found a dormant bumble bee on the lawn, they shoved a spoon of sugary water in front of it, it had a drink and flew off.

So, I’ve been up n down the garden a few times, stepping over another dormant bumble bee. Eventually I gave him a prod with my finger and ... nothing. It just say there curled up. I went and got the spoon of sugar, a few drops of water to dissolve it and shoved it in front of the bee. Well, it stuck its proboscis in the sugar and was visibly slurping away. After about a minute, it went for a bit of a walk, then flew off!

I think I saved it. Admittedly I might have given it diabetes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m going to claim I saved the life of a bee.

My kids showed me a nifty trick a few weeks ago, where they found a dormant bumble bee on the lawn, they shoved a spoon of sugary water in front of it, it had a drink and flew off.

So, I’ve been up n down the garden a few times, stepping over another dormant bumble bee. Eventually I gave him a prod with my finger and ... nothing. It just say there curled up. I went and got the spoon of sugar, a few drops of water to dissolve it and shoved it in front of the bee. Well, it stuck its proboscis in the sugar and was visibly slurping away. After about a minute, it went for a bit of a walk, then flew off!

I think I saved it. Admittedly I might have given it diabetes.

Are you Jesus?

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think I saved it.

Ace. I do this as often as I can. The garden looks a mess, because it's planted with plants for insects (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I love just watching the bumble bees, mining bees, the butterflies, even the tiny parasitic bees. I don't even mind when the bees set up nests in the bird boxes. Last year bumblebees established a nest in the garage behind some shelving. I had to cover up the side windows top stop them dying by trying to get out through the glass. The bees would enter by landing by the side door, crawling under the door, walking 15 feet to the shelving and then going behind. Leaving the same way in reverse. Every time I went in the garage, the line of walking bees would all get confused by the sudden light and bumble around. The ones just landed would sort of become disoriented, so I'd then have to wait til las many went back outside as possible and close the door sharpish, whereupon they would resume their walking routine. One or two more independently minded bees used the main garage door - doing the same landing and walking thing. Bees are the best.

Because of the lockdown I did a massive garage cleanout and clean. Never found the actual nest though. It might be behind the tumble dryer.

• Like 2

Â