General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, welnik said:

Completely unrelated, but I was stopped the other day by a homeless guy in new street. Asked me to buy him a hot drink. "sure" I said "what would you like?" without batting an eyelid he said "large caramel latte please" 

Tickled me no end 

A man that knows what he wants :)  .. young kid did something similar to me when i was in the Gambia  , he came up to me on the beach and said I live in very poor family and don't have many clothes so when you leave could I have one of your old t-shorts  ... But not the one you wore yesterday , can i have the Nike one you were wearing on Friday please   :)

this was about 1990 , sadly these days he'd probably want my T-shirt to use as a tent :(

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The sad part is that by buying drinks and sarnies or whatever then you arent encouraging them to move on and seek the help they need.

It's a horrible situation all round but the help is there if they want to seek it. I really feel for the genuine cases but for me personally, the career beggars have made it difficult for everyone. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

'Neil! Let this lot out!' and provides us all with the best present anyone could ask for - being let out of New Street.

I presume this journey is related to starting your new job ? (congrats, by the way). I was worried that this episode with the ticket machine might've triggered off a flare up of your anxiety condition but no mention of it which is promising !

23 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The sad part is that by buying drinks and sarnies or whatever then you arent encouraging them to move on and seek the help they need.

It's a horrible situation all round but the help is there if they want to seek it. I really feel for the genuine cases but for me personally, the career beggars have made it difficult for everyone. 

Its very hard not to be desensitized to it all looking at it from the other side. Take a walk down new street or any of the side streets off it and you'll be asked 10+ times for money, the only natural response to that is to start ignoring them. I gave a couple of quid to someone outside Briar Rose spoons a while back, felt quite pleased with myself for 5 seconds then by the time I got to the opposite side of the road "got any change mate". Yes its nice to help someone when you can but the problem is so much bigger than that.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its very hard not to be desensitized to it all looking at it from the other side. Take a walk down new street or any of the side streets off it and you'll be asked 10+ times for money, the only natural response to that is to start ignoring them. I gave a couple of quid to someone outside Briar Rose spoons a while back, felt quite pleased with myself for 5 seconds then by the time I got to the opposite side of the road "got any change mate". Yes its nice to help someone when you can but the problem is so much bigger than that.

This. I once jumped on a bus in to town to kill time as my car was in all day for repairs. I got off at the bullring and wanted to see how the old central library demolition was going and in the time it took me to walk up new street to the art gallery i must've given away £7 in loose change. I silently cursed myself for being a soft touch but no doubt if i worked in town then I'd probably be hardened to it all and blank most of them.

I was recently stopped by a homeless guy who asked if i could buy him some food from greggs - coffee and a pasty. It was a pleasure to do so, knowing that the geezer genuinely needed feeding.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Thanks.

Yes it is. My commute has changed a bit, for the better I hope. Anxiety is still there, still a massive problem, the train journey had me on edge all journey (though not as bad as my first day, where I got on a train that had been delayed by 30 minutes so over the short journey was literally wedged into a corner trying to do mindfulness), but I'm hoping I'll get better with time and get back to somewhere like where I was a couple of years ago at least.

Glad to hear you have started your job mate and you sound as though you are making big strides with your anxiety. If you can deal with the daily circus of New Street and the trains then you can handle anything! :cheers:

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Glad to hear you have started your job mate and you sound as though you are making big strides with your anxiety. If you can deal with the daily circus of New Street and the trains then you can handle anything! :cheers:

I started a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately picked up a really nasty bug so I've only done about 5 days so far, but it's good to be back to doing things. And earning some cash without having to flog stuff every couple of weeks...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

This. I once jumped on a bus in to town to kill time as my car was in all day for repairs. I got off at the bullring and wanted to see how the old central library demolition was going and in the time it took me to walk up new street to the art gallery i must've given away £7 in loose change. I silently cursed myself for being a soft touch but no doubt if i worked in town then I'd probably be hardened to it all and blank most of them.

I was recently stopped by a homeless guy who asked if i could buy him some food from greggs - coffee and a pasty. It was a pleasure to do so, knowing that the geezer genuinely needed feeding.

Im not having a knock at all but because they know people will buy them food and give them mo ey they have no impetus to move on from their 'spots' and seek the help from organisations that offer it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Im not having a knock at all but because they know people will buy them food and give them mo ey they have no impetus to move on from their 'spots' and seek the help from organisations that offer it. 

I will admit i smiled to myself as he asked for a vanilla latte.....then i thought well why not ? Just cos he's homeless doesn't mean he should be on gruel and tap water. The way he wolfed down the pasty was all the convincing i needed. 

I totally get what you say though about seeking help from the professionals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, welnik said:

Completely unrelated, but I was stopped the other day by a homeless guy in new street. Asked me to buy him a hot drink. "sure" I said "what would you like?" without batting an eyelid he said "large caramel latte please" 

Tickled me no end 

Erm, he didn't tickle me, that would have been a bit weird. 

Post of the year IMO. 

There is a homeless guy based near the entrance to a friend's office. I always chuckle a bit to myself as he normally seems to be eating something like parma ham or sundried tomatoes.

He definitely eats better than I do but I'm still not sure I'd want to trade lives!

Do helicopters have multi coloured flashing lights at night? I have been and still am while typing watching something flashing blue/red/white/green/purple lights for about 15 minutes. It hasnt moved. It's too big to be a star and the definite flashing pattern is different.

It's like a tiny cluster of xmas lights hovering in the sky. **** bizarre.

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Do helicopters have multi coloured flashing lights at night? I have been and still am while typing watching something flashing blue/red/white/green/purple lights for about 15 minutes. It hasnt moved. It's too big to be a star and the definite flashing pattern is different.

It's like a tiny cluster of xmas lights hovering in the sky. **** bizarre.

Red, green and white on a chopper.

On 18/11/2019 at 13:14, mottaloo said:

I totally get what you say though about seeking help from the professionals. 

Only 1 of them is still alive, but worth a shot I guess 😀

• Like 1

Has anyone ever been on one of those week long bootcamp holidays? I've got a bit of free time before Christmas and fancy getting in shape before the New Year rush. Any suggestions which are actually fun and worth the money? Not after any new age / crossfit / triathlon / self help bollocks, just down to earth fitness, hiking, etc. and healthy food in a nice setting with normal people. Does this exist? Anywhere in Europe would be fine, but ideally UK.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Has anyone ever been on one of those week long bootcamp holidays? I've got a bit of free time before Christmas and fancy getting in shape before the New Year rush. Any suggestions which are actually fun and worth the money? Not after any new age / crossfit / triathlon / self help bollocks, just down to earth fitness, hiking, etc. and healthy food in a nice setting with normal people. Does this exist? Anywhere in Europe would be fine, but ideally UK.

I can’t imagine any are fun. It’s probably a week of hell, but you’re a few pounds lighter at the end.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

I can’t imagine any are fun. It’s probably a week of hell, but you’re a few pounds lighter at the end.

Yes that might be a bit ambitious. Clearly it's going to be less fun than a stag do in Vegas. But maybe more long-term benefit.

Â