General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hit it hard and claim led zep as a Midlands band while they're at it, it'll always be disputed but at least stake a claim, publicity from the debate won't hurt

Music, the football league museum, even peaky blinders, the city is useless at promoting itself at the best of times but in terms of pop culture its terrible

Particularly agree with the bolded. I've left the language school I was running now, but it got to the point this year that about half of the non-sponsored students who were there had chosen Birmingham specifically because of Peaky Blinders. It must be much bigger than I'd realised overseas. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Particularly agree with the bolded. I've left the language school I was running now, but it got to the point this year that about half of the non-sponsored students who were there had chosen Birmingham specifically because of Peaky Blinders. It must be much bigger than I'd realised overseas. 

There is some stuff, black country museum use it for marketing, digbeth do some tours, saddlers do beer whiskey gin and rum but the city council does nothing 

There's 1 peaky blinders themed bar in the UK (I think) it's in Liverpool celebrating where the show is filmed 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I despise UB40. 

I absolutely can’t stand their shite. It really is some of the most grating rubbish I’ve ever heard. The music and the lyrics* really **** irritate me and Ali Campbell’s face makes me want to break stuff. 

(*Especially crap like Higher Ground, Red Wine, Kingston Town, Breakfast in Bed, Bring Me Your Cup...)

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There is some stuff, black country museum use it for marketing, digbeth do some tours, saddlers do beer whiskey gin and rum but the city council does nothing 

There's 1 peaky blinders themed bar in the UK (I think) it's in Liverpool celebrating where the show is filmed 

You must be joking. There’s two in Southport (where chain started), one in St Helens, one in Liverpool, at least one in Manchester and those are just the ones I know about

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure if the city of Birmingham using criminals to promote itself would be a good idea.

Edinburgh's been doing it for years and the East End of London. Burke and Hare, the Krays, The crims attract tourist money more than most

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Edinburgh's been doing it for years and the East End of London. Burke and Hare, the Krays, The crims attract tourist money more than most

So you're saying I should become a murderer, become a crime lord - for the good of Birmingham? 🤔

When I was at school we had an Irish maths teacher - he was VERY Irish, broadest Dublin accent imaginable - who used to delight in telling everyone that, due to his mother going into early labour on holiday, he was actually a Welshman. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When I was at school we had an Irish maths teacher - he was VERY Irish, broadest Dublin accent imaginable - who used to delight in telling everyone that, due to his mother going into early labour on holiday, he was actually a Welshman. 

To be fair, I'm the same. Brought up to be 100% Scottish. When people ask where I'm from, the answer is Stornoway. Where was I born? Queen Charlotte's, Hammersmith.

Thanks mum.

:bang:

3 hours ago, choffer said:

To be fair, I'm the same. Brought up to be 100% Scottish. When people ask where I'm from, the answer is Stornoway. Where was I born? Queen Charlotte's, Hammersmith.

Thanks mum.

Well, I've lived the whole of my adult life in Leeds. Fortunately, I was born in Aston. 

18 hours ago, bickster said:

Bah - to think of all the hard work Jack the Ripper did for the criminal tourist board and he doesn’t even get a shout out as an example.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Thanks mum.

Cockney scum!

• Haha 1

My VT addiction has become ridiculous since the new season started.

I've found myself using it at work way way too much. Enough that it's impacting my work quite a lot.

So I'm going to take a hiatus for a bit. Might still lurk but won't be posting for a bit.

See you in a few months. I love you all.

Except @lapal_fan. The word removed ;) 

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My VT addiction has become ridiculous since the new season started.

I've found myself using it at work way way too much. Enough that it's impacting my work quite a lot.

So I'm going to take a hiatus for a bit. Might still lurk but won't be posting for a bit.

See you in a few months. I love you all.

Except @lapal_fan. word removed

I will go "sans socks" today in honor of your hiatus. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â