General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone else been suffering from hay fever today ? Well I’m wondering if it’s hayfever as I been sneezing and am wondering if it’s a cold or hay fever? Isn’t it bit early for hay fever ?

Yep, same here. WAY too early (I don't usually get it until May/June), but I've had itchy eyes and sneezing for the last few days. 

12 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

lol No one picked march :D

I'm afraid it's hay-fever! Took nasal spray and it was fine. 

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, same here. WAY too early (I don't usually get it until May/June), but I've had itchy eyes and sneezing for the last few days. 

Same with me seems to get earlier every year. Beconaise seems to do the trick. 

When I've been to Brum I've seen what seems like a rock club called Hammer & the anvil, but never gone there. Does anyone know what it is? Is it still running? Anybody been there? As I'm going over in about a week I thought of going there next Thursday.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I get heart palpitations just watching!

I watched a couple of these the other week. They're terrifying!

Not as bad as that famous clip of that blue peter bloke climbing Nelson's column

• Like 1

When I was a kid I loved Fred Dibnah, I thought he was great, this extended in to my adult life and whenever he was on telly I would watch him. Not just a steeplejack, did a lot of engineering type things too. Loved that fella.

• Like 1

There's a video of Dibnah, possibly the thing that originally made him a household name, of him demolishing an old industrial chimney. The entire thing you end up watching with a never ending refrain of '**** that'. Not just the climbing either. He brought down the chimney similar to how you'd fell a tree, chopping out the bricks at the bottom. As he did that he'd prop the gap with wood, then once everything was ready, set a fire in the gap and let the props burn. He would end up having to check on the fire, so it's almost line he's constantly tempting fate going up to this thing that's ready to fall.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a video of Dibnah, possibly the thing that originally made him a household name, of him demolishing an old industrial chimney. The entire thing you end up watching with a never ending refrain of '**** that'. Not just the climbing either. He brought down the chimney similar to how you'd fell a tree, chopping out the bricks at the bottom. As he did that he'd prop the gap with wood, then once everything was ready, set a fire in the gap and let the props burn. He would end up having to check on the fire, so it's almost line he's constantly tempting fate going up to this thing that's ready to fall.

Yeah seen that one too. Even as it's coming down he's running out of the way, like a cartoon. Mental.

Oh and for anyone that is fascinated by that sort of perilous climbing stuff, I'd recommend "Free Solo". Won best documentary at the Oscars this year. Shows Alex Honnold and his process of Free Solo-ing (climbing on your own without ropes) El Capitan in Yosemite Park.

It is both fascinating and absolutely **** terrifying.

This is El Cap

b61f6768-d166-4745-b968-4cb0a4dd0ad3-Scr

And this is how a lot of the documentary looks

25-free-solo-2.w700.h700.jpg

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh and for anyone that is fascinated by that sort of perilous climbing stuff, I'd recommend "Free Solo". Won best documentary at the Oscars this year. Shows Alex Honnold and his process of Free Solo-ing (climbing on your own without ropes) El Capitan in Yosemite Park.

It is both fascinating and absolutely **** terrifying.

This is El Cap

b61f6768-d166-4745-b968-4cb0a4dd0ad3-Scr

And this is how a lot of the documentary looks

25-free-solo-2.w700.h700.jpg

It's a matter of when, not if, he'll die doing this. It's incredible, and he's clearly an extremely gifted climber, but even the best are going to make a mistake eventually, and in that scenario a mistake is death.

The guys hands are insane. They're like an ape's. They're huge and swollen, effectively kinda deformed. Almost like he's been designed by a cartoon artist. Obviously it's the constant need to grip things, but also the technique of putting his hand into the gaps on the rock face and manipulating the shape to lock it in place has built up scar tissue and callouses and the like. 

Completely nuts.

• Like 1

On the above note I thoroughly recommend Dawn Wall and Valley Uprising. Both on Netflix both documentaries about climbing Yosemite. Tommy, who you see in Free Solo has his own insane story, that I won't spoil. 

Hannold though is just mental. And Chindies right, he will die, the death rate for free soloists is unsurprisingly really high. His girlfriend, in the documentary at least, I really don't think she understands his attitude toward it. Imagine being a parent to someone doing shit like this.

• Like 2

Â