Stevo985

General Chat

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyone on less than 2 years service gets reduced rights. Anyone employed for a day gets the right to reasonable dismissal reasons. I think most companies would have a probation period of between 3 and 6 months, it’s kind of ‘traditional’ but has little meaning in law.
3 months is pretty much industry standard for us, we have once or twice got to the end of the 3 months and extended it a further 3 months. But this guy was the first not to manage to make it through the first 12 weeks. Looking back, some of the excuses for absence were absolute gems. I think if we’d kept him on for another month he’d have been reduced to repeating previous excuses or claiming alien abduction.

Reminds me of my mate who's excuse for not coming to the pub one of the nights was "The tortoise got out".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Reminds me of my mate who's excuse for not coming to the pub one of the nights was "The tortoise got out".

He missed out on the shell-ebrations. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I live near Blackheath too. I remember a few years ago when I broke my wrist, I was at the bus stop by the Three Diamonds waiting to go to Russell's Hall, and some proper scabby looking thing started chatting to me at the bus stop. She was probably mid-forties, scruffy hair, tanned to that point that she was leathery and she had a dress on that had cigarette burns on it. Irritatingly she was getting the bus too, so I couldn't even pretend I had somewhere to be. I vividly remember the opening lines of the conversation:

Scabby lady: "What have you done to your arm?"

Me: "I broke it playing football"

Scabby lady: "Ooo, you look too handsome to play football"

Me: ?.... 

I think she tried to carry on talking to me until the bus came. I quickly picked a single seat on the bus next to someone else to get away from her.

53 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

On drugs I reckon, she must have been hallucinating.

Maybe! I don't claim to be good looking, but it's not like football is only played by ugly people. I just thought it was a really odd thing to say. It was just any excuse for her to try to make a pass at me.

its sounds to me like it was a backhanded compliment, what she really meant was you look like you'd be shit at football, which to be fair if you had a broken arm...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

wheres the best place to get a bed from?

A bed shop? :detect:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

A skip. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not Dreams unless you want to be absolutely ripped off. 

5 hours ago, choffer said:

A skip. 

Your nose will tell you if it's wrong, innit?

Didn't someone on here get rid of his ex-housemates mattress recently? Possibly dried out by now with this warm weather.

• Like 2

He was homeless too, so he's probably ecstatic that he'll be getting a roof over his head and food for 16 weeks.

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He was homeless too, so he's probably ecstatic that he'll be getting a roof over his head and food for 16 weeks.

Probably won't be ecstatic if he comes to apply for settled status.

On 02/08/2016 at 06:57, mjmooney said:
On 02/08/2016 at 00:17, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

well, i think, in order to devote more time to writing and further study i'm going to have to pack it in here. it's been a a blast folks. y'all helped steer me through some tough times, especially the mcleish year, and that period when jedward were in eurovision. i joined up many moons ago in the pits of depression and now i'm embarking on a dissertation. how life moves on. i've said some daft things, some would say many, and some damn fine stuff if i say so myself. it's strange, really, how a forum can play a role in one's life, sometimes quite a big one, especially when life hits and you need to find a place to just put it into words, only to have someone type DHUTWU in return. thanks for the music, the book and film recommendations, and most importantly for many, many good laughs.

enjoy your lives VTers, i hope they are long and wonderful and full of joy!

Pshaw. You'll be back. I give it three weeks.

He never y'know. 

• Sad 1

Â