General Chat

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Unused Sub said:

So Tadhg is a chap, I know Aoife is a girls name, but I haven't got a clue about Saoirse. Is it a girls name?

It is. Pronounced Sur-sha 

well that’s how I pronounce it anyway!

Welsh at least is a bit more approachable than Irish and the like, certainly for names. Once you've got that 'll' is a back of the throat 'kl'ish sound, and 'y' is more like 'ee', you're on your way.

I was always surprised, having spent a lot of time in Wales, how many Welsh names there are that don't seem to have traveled much. Before university I'd never heard the name Nerys. By the time I left I'd met dozens.

38 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Sioned, Blodeuwedd, Gwenllian and Hywel say hi from Welsh celt-land :wave:

Now you're just making shit up.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

Now you're just making shit up.

Awww, that's my go to ridiculous Welsh name from The Mabinogion! I do not know any human with that as a name you're right but I do know someone who called their dog Blodeuwedd (Blod) and also their new dog after Owain Glyndwrs dog - Gelert. Bit of a theme.

Swap it out for a whole host of others though if you fancy ;)

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Awww, that's my go to ridiculous Welsh name from The Mabinogion! I do not know any human with that as a name you're right but I do know someone who called their dog Blodeuwedd (Blod) and also their new dog after Owain Glyndwrs dog - Gelert. Bit of a theme.

Swap it out for a whole host of others though if you fancy ;)

I was joking! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Welsh at least is a bit more approachable than Irish and the like, certainly for names. Once you've got that 'll' is a back of the throat 'kl'ish sound, and 'y' is more like 'ee', you're on your way.

Hang about. Isn't 'y' pronounced 'oo', rather than 'ee'? It's the Welsh 'u' that's pronounced 'e', surely?  

Cymru = Coomree. 

VT Taffs feel free to correct me if I'm talking profion

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hang about. Isn't 'y' pronounced 'oo', rather than 'ee'? It's the Welsh 'u' that's pronounced 'e', surely?  

Cymru = Coomree. 

VT Taffs feel free to correct me if I'm talking profion

It might have more than one pronunciation depending on context but 'Y' is definitely pronounced 'ee'. For example the Welsh world for school, ysgol, is pronounced 'eesgol' (more or less, or 'iss-gol').

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It might have more than one pronunciation depending on context but 'Y' is definitely pronounced 'ee'. For example the Welsh world for school, ysgol, is pronounced 'eesgol' (more or less, or 'iss-gol').

Ah yes, that's true. Bloody weird cove, is Johnny Foreigner. 

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

no its not

its pronounced Uz gol

• Like 1

I think you also have to consider accents.

You wouldn't prescribe how all the saes pronounce bath, scone, or Thanet. You don't have a single sound for each single letter. The way I would pronounce words will be different to a west walian or a gog bastard. Sut Mae, would be pronounced utterly differently in different places. From 'sit' mae, to 'shoe' mae to 'shu' mae with the u pronounced short and blunt as in 'up'.

My current fave is the BBC pronounciation of 'Rhyl' which they've gone uber welsh on and have a really aggressive crunchy R to the point it's more like ccccckrill. Where as I would pronounce it 'smack central'.

• Haha 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think you also have to consider accents.

You wouldn't prescribe how all the saes pronounce bath, scone, or Thanet. You don't have a single sound for each single letter. The way I would pronounce words will be different to a west walian or a gog bastard. Sut Mae, would be pronounced utterly differently in different places. From 'sit' mae, to 'shoe' mae to 'shu' mae with the u pronounced short and blunt as in 'up'.

My current fave is the BBC pronounciation of 'Rhyl' which they've gone uber welsh on and have a really aggressive crunchy R to the point it's more like ccccckrill. Where as I would pronounce it 'smack central'.

Nah its pronounced Scouse-on-Sea

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Damn, all those Welsh people I know don't know how to pronounce their own language.

its the same pronunciation as ysbyty

Uz Butty

My first language may have lapsed in terms of usage but my pronunciation is still fine and neither of those words are pronounced much differently North or South.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

its the same pronunciation as ysbyty

Uz Butty

interestingly (or maybe not), I personally say

us gol

uz butty

but that's just me and I don't claim to speak it top notch like, I can do the basics at the football, but I take a while to tune in to strangers especially if they talk fast!

DgThL-1WkAAsHcG.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

us gol

uz butty

but that's just me and I don't claim to speak it top notch like, I can do the basics at the football, but I take a while to tune in to strangers especially if they talk fast!

The Cardiff accident is like comparing  Scouse to English ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

us gol

uz butty

DgThL-1WkAAsHcG.jpg

Very Roy Noble

Â