General Chat

Stevo985

Parents of young children should be able to relate to this, but you know when they get to about two and they start repeating everything you say so you have to be extra careful not to swear or anything in front of them?   If you are having an, er, lets say entertaining evening in with the wife and she is somewhat vocal then they might just repeat that too. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVeDwFLd1Q

Edited by PompeyVillan

My fiancée is a teacher and I have barely seen or spoke to her this week, and when she has looked up from her work it is to talk about teaching. I would say 60 hours is a conservative estimate for her, but then there are others who work in the same school who put in nowhere near those sort of hours.

I don't get parents who don't sit down and do stuff with their kids.  It's so rewarding watching them learn stuff first hand, even if you are only teaching them pre school basics.  My daughter could read and write before she started school, my son knew all of his numbers up to 100 before his second birthday. I'm not trying to claim I'm amazing or anything, that kind of stuff just came from sitting down and playing with them. 

Very much THIS. The single best thing my mom ever did for me was teach me to read before I started school. I did the same with my kids. 

I've seen people say "Oh, I can't afford to buy books for my kids" (they usually seem to be able to afford to smoke though). It's bullshit. Even if your local library has been closed (depressingly likely), you can buy childrens' books in charity shops for pennies. 

Still, I suppose it's easier to dump them in front of your 42 inch plasma TV. 

Grrrr. 

• Like 4

My fiancée is a teacher and I have barely seen or spoke to her this week, and when she has looked up from her work it is to talk about teaching. I would say 60 hours is a conservative estimate for her, but then there are others who work in the same school who put in nowhere near those sort of hours.

Mine is a teacher/phase leader/management team member.

Lesson observation prep all day yesterday (managed to watch Thor at 8pm) and back at it now. Glad I'm going to the Villa even if we are shit and it's **** raining again.

Mine is a teacher/phase leader/management team member.

Lesson observation prep all day yesterday (managed to watch Thor at 8pm) and back at it now. Glad I'm going to the Villa even if we are shit and it's **** raining again.

Same, except I'm going down the pub! I watched the Lincoln Lawyer. On my own.

Teaching, in the first 10 or 12 years of life, is probably one of the most important jobs there is. It really is a foolish self defeating objective to screw the last efficiency penny out of that bit of the system. It is equally foolish for parents to think education happens in school and their input begins and ends on Sunday evening when they enquire 'did you do your homework?'.

As for the hours, I've just done a quick look at my January and February hours and teachers have got me beat, I averaged 53.

Yep, I'm seeing a primary school teacher at the moment, she works about 12 hours a day on week days and often does a bit over the weekend as well.

I've also increasingly found that bad parenting is why a lot of kids are **** for life and not the schooling system.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â