General Chat

Stevo985

I own one pair of shoe's, one shirt and 3 pairs of trousers

I have got 3 pairs of trainers, one pair that are absolutely battered which I wear when I am doing mucky stuff, another pair which are battered but still acceptable to be worn to the local pub on a sunday afternoon and another pair which are well on their way to being battered but they are the best I have got

cant stand buying clothes, trainers or anything like that

You have one shirt?

So you wear the same shirt all the time?

Style is like religion....

I fail to see a connection.

As far as I'm aware, clothes 'exist'.

Achieving the right combination of clothes, and putting the ensemble into a definable style, is very much a tangible thing. You may not like the style somebody adopts with their dress, but it does, necessarily, exist.

I guess you're trying to equate style as a social construct?

How many pairs of shoes is it acceptable to own, as a heterosexual male before that heterosexuality may become questionable.

Good question.

I think I have about 6 or 7 pairs of shoes/boots.

I'm guessing that may be considered excessive on these pages ....

As far as I'm aware, clothes 'exist'.

That's just what everyone tells you, emperor

Good question.

Not by me. I've got at least a dozen.

Good question.

Not by me. I've got at least a dozen.

Excellent work Sir. Is that just shoes, not trainers? Commendable collection.

ah no, trainers included. I've got 6 pairs of shoes, I think.

That's "good" trainers I mean. Not trainers for actual sports. If you include sporting footwear you could add another 5 or 6 pairs.

You have one shirt?

So you wear the same shirt all the time?

I only have one proper shirt, I only dig that out for weddings, funerals or work events when I cant get away with wearing a polo shirt

rest of the time its polo shirts or t-shirts

Man-Woman-Shopping.jpg

I guess this should really be in the Piss You Off thread - or should we have a poll?

I'm absolutely in the "hate clothes shopping" camp. I've always said I'd rather go to the dentist than shop for clothes, and I'm not exaggerating.

I do own a lot of shoes, shirts, trousers, jumpers, etc. - but for the simple reason that I can't throw them away. I may only shop once a year, but I keep the old stuff (which is probably very worn and tatty), and I wear it in preference to the new stuff, because it makes me feel more comfortable and less selfconscious.

Nothing worse than people at work going "Oooooh! New jumper!" Spit.

Religion exists. It's who they worship that doesn't.

So 'style' = God.

Have to say, still incredibly tenous link.

I think Gareth might be trying to say that, for him, style doesn't exist.

In his case, I think he may have a point. :mrgreen:;)

The Buddy Holly story is probably the greatest 'what could have been' story ever in music. He was the Beatles 10 years before the Beatles. Music would be very different today if he'd stuck around.

Yeah, sort of.

Except it wasn't ten years before, it was only five.

And for his final recording sessions he'd ditched the rock band, and was recording with syrupy strings, so who knows? He may have gone down the Presley MOR route.

I do like his stuff though.

Like a bit of clothes shopping, but do most of it online.

I can never be assed to really try things on while I'm out and about, so unless I know it's going to fit, then I usually won't bother. It's too much stress, and I need enough time to consider what's going to look good, which i can't usually do while I've got the other half breathing down my kneck.

I find part of the problem is the expense. Not that clothes are expensive, but I can't quite justify £30 - £50 on a jumper when I can buy a good number of books for that.

The whole 'label' culture just bypasses me completely. Why buy X shirt for a load of money when you can get pretty much the same kind of shirt in another shop for less, and all you are really paying for is the label. From experience the difference in quality isn't exactly huge unless you go right from the bottom of the scale to the top.

I find part of the problem is the expense. Not that clothes are expensive, but I can't quite justify £30 - £50 on a jumper when I can buy a good number of books for that.

Yes, yes YES! Exactly that!

Money is for books, CDs, DVDs, musical instruments, gadgets, and alcohol. OK, some of it has to go on food, etc.

But money spent on clothes is WASTED.

Not sure as I completely agree CED. Some things are hugely overpriced, paying £90+ for a RL Polo top is just an act of showing off your wealth. They're no better than the Superdry ones that you buy for £34, but I do think the Superdry ones are significantly better than the kind of crap you might buy in a place like Burtons.

Diesel Jeans will last you a couple of years, but cheaper jeans fade like an Xfactor winner after Christmas.

I find part of the problem is the expense. Not that clothes are expensive, but I can't quite justify £30 - £50 on a jumper

The expense is where the endorphins hit in for me, and also why I combine a clothes shop with a few beverages. I WANT to get nice clothes, but don't have a huge budget for it. So I do a big clothes shop once, possibly twice a year, at most, and usually in the sales, at a store that does quality stuff.

Yet still, the £200-£300 (or more) or so outlay is a stinger, and I do feel it's possibly wrong to be spending serious cash on 'good' clothes. But then I'm really into my clothes, so I can kind of justify it. And I don't spend silly money on other things, just clothes, going out and beer :P

Money is for books, CDs, DVDs, musical instruments, gadgets, and alcohol. OK, some of it has to go on food, etc.

But money spent on clothes is WASTED.

You see, for me, it's very important to look good, so it's anyhting but wasted money. It's money well spent, even though I do feel a bit guilty when spending decent money on clothes.

Whereas spending money on books (I don't), gadget's (also a no no), musical instruments (no), for me, would be a HUGE waste.

CDs/Music - yes, and Beers/booze - yes. I'll spend on those.

But spending on clothing comes high up the priority list.

I also these days have to spend money on our daughter, which means spending on all of the above has to be cut back anyway ....

The whole 'label' culture just bypasses me completely. Why buy X shirt for a load of money when you can get pretty much the same kind of shirt in another shop for less, and all you are really paying for is the label. From experience the difference in quality isn't exactly huge unless you go right from the bottom of the scale to the top.

I don't pay for labels but I do pay for better materials. A cotton shirt is going to cost you more than a polyester shirt but it is worth paying some extra money, even if it's just to get a cotton polyester blend with some natural material in there. Same with jumpers or socks or whatever.

I can also see that something from a better shop will generally fit a lot better than something from primark or asda. I bought a cheap pair of trousers from ASDA and the legs were sewn together too far down so that it was a struggle to take big strides or walk up stairs two at a time :P

A couple of weeks after I got them the cuff fell out on one of the legs and so I just threw them out again.

I do prefer it though if my clothes don't have any sort of brand logo on them, I'm not a walking billboard for some company.

Â