General Chat

Stevo985

wiktionary"]

Verb

evidence (third-person singular simple present evidences, present participle evidencing, simple past and past participle evidenced)

1. (transitive) To provide evidence for, or suggest the truth of.

She was furious, as evidenced by her slamming the door.

The slamming of the door evidences her anger.

wiktionary"]

Verb

evidence (third-person singular simple present evidences, present participle evidencing, simple past and past participle evidenced)

Sorry, I meant "evidences" as a noun.

wiktionary"]

Verb

Sorry, I meant "evidences" as a noun.

No. It's an 'uncountable' noun.

You could say 'items of evidence', or some such.

Thought so as well, sounds weird to me.

But...

EVIDENCES: 3rd person singular present, plural of ev·i·dence Noun: The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Right guys, I need a bit of advice! I'm 24, just started teaching, and my car seems to be on the way out. It's only a W-reg Fiesta and I think the problem at the moment is that it needs new spark plugs (I may be wrong as I know pretty much nothing about cars) so it's probably fixable, and needs a full service anyway. However, I was told that it'll need a lot doing by the time its next MOT comes around (March), and it also needs a few minor repairs/adjustments (it needs a new back wiper and arm as someone ripped it off a few months ago, new seal around one of the windows, etc). The brakes aren't great either and I'm not sure exactly what the problem is (although it did have new discs 18-24 months ago). I have no savings (having been a student for the past four years and recently having to pay deposit and two months' rent in advance on a new house) and no-one in the family has money to lend me, but I was thinking about getting a new (used) car on credit. However, my other options include leasing a car, or getting my current one fixed up.

I thought about spending around £2000 on a used car, as I reckon the costs of properly servicing and fixing mine will mount up into several hundreds at least, and have looked at getting a credit card to cover this. I'd say I'm sensible with money so the idea of having a credit card doesn't bother me, but I'm not too sure on some of the ins and outs of how they work. I can get a Tesco credit card with 0% on purchases for 16 months. Within 16 months, I'm sure I'd have no problem paying off £2000, but would a used car count as a 'purchase', thus giving me the 0% for this time? Also, when I'm going through the application, it says the "total cost of credit" is £116.58 - what exactly does this mean? If I only make one purchase, and pay it off within the 16 months, will I actually get charged anything? Having never had a credit card, I'm not sure about this.

I reckon that leasing a car would be too expensive and not particularly worthwhile as an option: it seems I could get a decent car for not too much more than £100/month for the next two or three years, but of course I'd have to pay a few hundred up front and would be responsible for any damage etc (not that I'm a bad driver; I've never had an incident so far - touch wood). Doesn't seem like the most sensible option.

Or of course, I could get my current car fixed up. However, it's coming up 13 years old (although 'only' has 70k on the clock) and, as I said, needs quite a bit doing to it. My main concern is that with my last car, when I was a student, I paid for some new tires (which were necessities) and a couple of other smaller things, then took it for its MOT around a month later and had to pay a few hundred more. It was a similarly old car but I chose to pay as I couldn't really afford to get something else, but then the clutch went very shortly after that, costing me quite a bit more. I don't want the same thing to happen again! I've also had some bad experiences with mechanics/garages, as I'm sure most of us have.

Sorry about the long post, but any advice from you more experienced folk (whether it relates specifically to credit cards, cars, or both) is appreciated! Didn't really want to start a new thread for it so put it in here.

Right guys, I need a bit of advice! I'm 24, just started teaching, and my car seems to be on the way out. It's only a W-reg Fiesta and I think the problem at the moment is that it needs new spark plugs (I may be wrong as I know pretty much nothing about cars) so it's probably fixable, and needs a full service anyway. However, I was told that it'll need a lot doing by the time its next MOT comes around (March), and it also needs a few minor repairs/adjustments (it needs a new back wiper and arm as someone ripped it off a few months ago, new seal around one of the windows, etc). The brakes aren't great either and I'm not sure exactly what the problem is (although it did have new discs 18-24 months ago). I have no savings (having been a student for the past four years and recently having to pay deposit and two months' rent in advance on a new house) and no-one in the family has money to lend me, but I was thinking about getting a new (used) car on credit. However, my other options include leasing a car, or getting my current one fixed up.

I thought about spending around £2000 on a used car, as I reckon the costs of properly servicing and fixing mine will mount up into several hundreds at least, and have looked at getting a credit card to cover this. I'd say I'm sensible with money so the idea of having a credit card doesn't bother me, but I'm not too sure on some of the ins and outs of how they work. I can get a Tesco credit card with 0% on purchases for 16 months. Within 16 months, I'm sure I'd have no problem paying off £2000, but would a used car count as a 'purchase', thus giving me the 0% for this time? Also, when I'm going through the application, it says the "total cost of credit" is £116.58 - what exactly does this mean? If I only make one purchase, and pay it off within the 16 months, will I actually get charged anything? Having never had a credit card, I'm not sure about this.

I reckon that leasing a car would be too expensive and not particularly worthwhile as an option: it seems I could get a decent car for not too much more than £100/month for the next two or three years, but of course I'd have to pay a few hundred up front and would be responsible for any damage etc (not that I'm a bad driver; I've never had an incident so far - touch wood). Doesn't seem like the most sensible option.

Or of course, I could get my current car fixed up. However, it's coming up 13 years old (although 'only' has 70k on the clock) and, as I said, needs quite a bit doing to it. My main concern is that with my last car, when I was a student, I paid for some new tires (which were necessities) and a couple of other smaller things, then took it for its MOT around a month later and had to pay a few hundred more. It was a similarly old car but I chose to pay as I couldn't really afford to get something else, but then the clutch went very shortly after that, costing me quite a bit more. I don't want the same thing to happen again! I've also had some bad experiences with mechanics/garages, as I'm sure most of us have.

Sorry about the long post, but any advice from you more experienced folk (whether it relates specifically to credit cards, cars, or both) is appreciated! Didn't really want to start a new thread for it so put it in here.

7071898625_9702c20a44_z.jpg

I live in the middle of nowhere, so as much as cycling would be good for fitness, that's also a no! Plus I don't think I'd quite make it to Villa Park on a bike :lol:.

Anymore performances like today and Everton and i think that would be a positive.

Biking isn't to bad for time, i do a 14 mile ride each day taking it quite steady in just over an hour and my fitness and weight is in a word shite.

What do people pay for their Sky subscriptions?

I was ona family and friends half price code for the past 12 months. but now that that's running out, my subscription is going to rocket. So I want to ring them up and get them down so wouldn't mind some solid ammunition to counter their offer with.

Fiestas are good if not go with vauxha as the parts are cheap do fixing is cheaper.

If neither of those go Japanese

Stay away from poor quality Japanese rubbish.

Go for a Ford Focus.

I have to say having worked for a supplier into both Ford and "Japanese rubbish", I know which one I'd trust to produce a quality product.

By the way, I drive a (British made) Toyota, not cheap though.

Yeah mine's going to be about £80 if I don't knock it down a bit. That's HD with all packs plus sports and ESPN, no movies.

Happy to get rid of ESPN, so that's £10 straight away. Hoping they'll knock a few more quid off as well. If I can get them down to £60 or below I'll be happy.

We signed up for Sky recently and pay around £70 per month for phone line, unlimited internet, entertainment pack and Sky Sports (not ESPN though), with HD. It's quite steep but we did get over £100 in cashback (through Quidco) and are awaiting £100 in M&S vouchers - maybe you could use these to bargain with, particularly if you didn't get them when you signed up originally.

Stevo, do you get VM at your address? Best thing to do is ring sky and tell them you're going to VM as you've heard it is incredible and they've offered you 6 months half price. Sky chuck around "6 month half price" discounts like confetti.

Â