AVFCLaura

General Chat

Just now, coda said:

Please change these options to a soy latte and vegan burger.

Even homeless people have standards, I don't want to wear that shit

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So do people give loose change to homeless people they see?

I have done, although can’t remember the last time I did. Not sure what makes me give change on occasion and not another. Maybe if it’s a miserable day or something like that I may be more likely to do so.

I’ll generally give to a big issue seller, the one in my local village and if I’m in a town centre and the seller there is particularly cheerful I’ll give them a quid. I don’t take the magazine though.

not so much homeless but tbh I'm more inclined to give to direct interaction , charity collectors / people who approach you / people doing sponsored bike rides , hikes etc  ( but not growing a moustache or giving up beer , they can jog on)   rather than give to someone who is sitting in a doorway  with a hand written note on a piece of cardboard,   if I'm honest

I think what stuck in my mind with beggars was I went into Reading town centre around Christmas  and every 30 foot or so was a beggar  ,  predominately dressed in standard Romanian beggar attire   ...  they were beggars who people were clearly cheesed off with it ..which means any genuine beggars in Reading are screwed ..and I think that's probably a similar situation  elsewhere as well  ?  rightly or wrongly the perception is that most beggars aren't genuine  ... the idea of a central collection would at least assure you that the money is reaching genuine people ( hopefully)

Few months back some scully walked up to me and said he need 3 quid for a train fare as he'd lost his  phone and wallet   .. I gave him the £3  and saw him wander off into  KFC  a few moments later  ..hey ho , I did genuinely laugh to myself at his cheek   ..... but  I'm not fussed about the £3 and I'd give the next kid £3 as well as , who knows , one day it could be genuine  ..and one day it could be my son or daughter that genuinely has lost their phone / wallet and needs a couple of quid and someone will do the same for them ( though knowing my son he'd go to KFC and then walk home )

I think what this debate about homelessness has demonstrated none of us know who is genuine or not and we all react differently to towards it. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think what this debate about homelessness has demonstrated none of us know who is genuine or not and we all react differently to towards it. 

Oh, I dunno Dem.

I think what it's mostly proved (to me, at least) is that people make their own minds up about things but many don't seek to make that decision based on facts or expert advice.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, choffer said:

Oh, I dunno Dem.

I think what it's mostly proved (to me, at least) is that people make their own minds up about things but many don't seek to make that decision based on facts or expert advice.

What expert advice? How anyone be a expert on knowing if someone is genuine or not? 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You have missed the point completely 

No, you have miscommunicated the point entirely.  By you even mentioning the amount of clothing the man had on, you made an issue of it.  Learn how your words affect what you say.  Bicks was right to pull you up on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

What expert advice? How anyone be a expert on knowing if someone is genuine or not? 

Sorry - was more of a general point, rather than a specific comment on the genuine nature of a homeless.

Having just caught up on the last few pages, it seems that people too often want to make a decision (on anything or nothing in particular) based on their own opinions rather than any insight, experience or knowledge of the subject.

The whole - why don't they just get a job, how can you afford fags if you're a homeless, they're all junkies and frauds line of thinking just smacks to me of someone who is detached from the reality of having to live in that existence and has no desire to change their opinion or understand the problem. 

It's an issue in all walks of life, for all kinds of problems and has been since time immemorial. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

No, you have miscommunicated the point entirely.  By you even mentioning the amount of clothing the man had on, you made an issue of it.  Learn how your words affect what you say.  Bicks was right to pull you up on it.

I disagree. It was communicated fine but anyway. 

23 minutes ago, choffer said:

Sorry - was more of a general point, rather than a specific comment on the genuine nature of a homeless.

Having just caught up on the last few pages, it seems that people too often want to make a decision (on anything or nothing in particular) based on their own opinions rather than any insight, experience or knowledge of the subject.

The whole - why don't they just get a job, how can you afford fags if you're a homeless, they're all junkies and frauds line of thinking just smacks to me of someone who is detached from the reality of having to live in that existence and has no desire to change their opinion or understand the problem. 

It's an issue in all walks of life, for all kinds of problems and has been since time immemorial. 

Yeah a lot of that makes sense. None of us know what we deem as genuine or not. None of us know unless we are the individual ourselves. 

Im strongly against smoking that's probably why my perception is like this. I've hated it from a young age since my grandad was sick and got bad lung cancer before he died. It's obviously linked to my perception when I see a homeless person smoking a si think I'd rather give to someone who will spend the money on food as opposed to likely fags. 

i on the odd occasion have handed money over to someone on the streets but not for a long time. Being honest, i don't buy them tea or food or anything. I think the more you see the the more desensitised you become to it. It has now become so normal to be asked and normal to respond sorry I don't have any that i don't even think about it anymore. Whether someone smokes or drinks has no bearing on the situation for me, if they are wearing a Rolex that is a different kettle of fish.

The only time I get annoyed is if I am with my lad, he is 5 and frankly I think its a bit bad to be stopping people with kids. I guess it works though as probably tugs at the heartstrings 

17 hours ago, limpid said:

No one wants to pay for it.

Not enough people want to pay for it. Not no-one. /pedantry.

• Like 3

As it's a bit misogynistic, I'm going to write this in a Haiku because that makes it nicer.

Female colleague sends friend request.

Look through photos of her massive jugs.

Vanish March 2017. They're phonies!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xela said:

I did 3 days last week at home and felt it was just a bit too much! 2 days is fine for me as I do get on with most of my colleagues so it is a good balance.

Don't you find it a bit lonely working from home?

I did an entire week recently!

I'd say no to your question, the trade off of being at home makes up for any isolation. Besides, such is the meetings culture at my place I'm regularly talking to people and since everyone works from home regularly you can never guarantee that the people you don't mind talking to will actually be in on a given day.

In previous jobs certain colleagues would become really good and close friends and we'd be going out regularly after work. Now I'm a bit too old for that and have other goals than blowing £100-£200 a week boozing etc.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Whenever I take a walk from new street to colmore row I'm always shocked at the amount of homeless people and quite frankly the 'state' of them, virtually all I see are clearly high on smack or an equivalent. I could say with confidence that virtually all of them are 'genuine'. It strikes me that it's at crisis levels in this city.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

As it's a bit misogynistic, I'm going to write this in a Haiku because that makes it nicer.

Female colleague sends friend request.

Look through photos of her massive jugs.

Vanish March 2017. They're phonies!

Haiku?? Isn't it meant to be 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables not words, unless you originally wrote it in Japanese of course and your google translate version was unaware of the rules....

Must try harder, young Paddywhack 

Anyway isn't this a little off topic from our Homeless discussion? :P

10 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

Haiku?? Isn't it meant to be 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables not words, unless you originally wrote it in Japanese of course and your google translate version was unaware of the rules....

Not if she paid for the implants by begging outside McDonalds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

Ah shit, man, you're right.

Colleague friend request.

Looked through pics of big boobies.

Not always there. Sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

Haiku?? Isn't it meant to be 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables not words

@Paddywhack told me to reply to you with a limerick that goes

poo off

you smellbag

fishcakes

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whenever I take a walk from new street to colmore row I'm always shocked at the amount of homeless people and quite frankly the 'state' of them, virtually all I see are clearly high on smack or an equivalent. I could say with confidence that virtually all of them are 'genuine'. It strikes me that it's at crisis levels in this city.

You in Brum? I always thought you were London based.