General Chat

Stevo985

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He was homeless too, so he's probably ecstatic that he'll be getting a roof over his head and food for 16 weeks.

Probably won't be ecstatic if he comes to apply for settled status.

On 02/08/2016 at 06:57, mjmooney said:
On 02/08/2016 at 00:17, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

well, i think, in order to devote more time to writing and further study i'm going to have to pack it in here. it's been a a blast folks. y'all helped steer me through some tough times, especially the mcleish year, and that period when jedward were in eurovision. i joined up many moons ago in the pits of depression and now i'm embarking on a dissertation. how life moves on. i've said some daft things, some would say many, and some damn fine stuff if i say so myself. it's strange, really, how a forum can play a role in one's life, sometimes quite a big one, especially when life hits and you need to find a place to just put it into words, only to have someone type DHUTWU in return. thanks for the music, the book and film recommendations, and most importantly for many, many good laughs.

enjoy your lives VTers, i hope they are long and wonderful and full of joy!

Pshaw. You'll be back. I give it three weeks.

He never y'know. 

• Sad 1

Read this word: bhan.

Now, why is that pronounced as vaughan in the name Siobhan? I vote that all Siobhans change their name to Shavaughan. Or agree to have their existing name now pronounced as "See-oh-ban". Either way, I'm not happy.

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Read this word: bhan.

Now, why is that pronounced as vaughan in the name Siobhan? I vote that all Siobhans change their name to Shavaughan. Or agree to have their existing name now pronounced as "See-oh-ban". Either way, I'm not happy.

Because Irish/other Celtic languages have bizarre pronunciations to a English speaking ear.

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

I like how our language also confuses pesky furreners with the 'mh' in Niamh (Neev) or Caoimhe (Kweevah) also creating a vee sound :DNeh neh :P

A manager at my place tried to give me a bollocking for being racist, just because i called an Irish colleague Seamus......when everyone else called him James. My explanation why didn't wash with said manager.....until Seamus himself told him it was irish for James. 

Manager's name was Tim...me then calling him Tadhg still didn't go down well ?

Edited by mottaloo

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Siobhan is the tip of the **** iceberg

My mom Grainne, and my cousins Saoirse, Aoife and Tadgh say hi

Beautiful names !

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Siobhan is the tip of the **** iceberg

My mom Grainne, and my cousins Saoirse, Aoife and Tadgh say hi

Pff. Get it right. Tadhg. :P:P

Â