General Chat

Stevo985

13 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Not only has this year been the first time I've hired someone, it's been the first time I've fired someone. (same guy funnily enough).

It's horrible.

Similar for me, my first ever go at sacking someone, and inside their 3 month probation period too.
Took a chance on someone that was talented but unreliable due to a couple of ‘issues’ they’d had. Turned out they were still current issues and still making him just too unreliable. Let me down massively a couple of times so having argued to give him a chance, I found myself being the one saying sack him off.
Since then, he got in touch with the MD, assured him he was now straight and asked for one more chance. MD agreed to meet him off site for a chat, but the guy was a no show. Then asked the next day if they could re arrange!
All very upsetting from start to finish. The guy’s a talented mess. Don’t do drugs, kids. Or if you do, try to keep it between Friday and Sunday.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Similar for me, my first ever go at sacking someone, and inside their 3 month probation period too.
Took a chance on someone that was talented but unreliable due to a couple of ‘issues’ they’d had. Turned out they were still current issues and still making him just too unreliable. Let me down massively a couple of times so having argued to give him a chance, I found myself being the one saying sack him off.
Since then, he got in touch with the MD, assured him he was now straight and asked for one more chance. MD agreed to meet him off site for a chat, but the guy was a no show. Then asked the next day if they could re arrange!
All very upsetting from start to finish. The guy’s a talented mess. Don’t do drugs, kids. Or if you do, try to keep it between Friday and Sunday.

Ours was within the 3 month probation period too. Work at heights every day, guy was scared of heights.

Dunno if he knew before hand or not, but I suppose if you've kept your feet on the ground most of your life you won't know until you get up there!

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

going to a wedding in germany in 2 weeks time, met the couple at the weekend, nice people, chatting to the bloke "yeah we hope it finishes around 8am"

200w.webp

Is it being held in Berghain?

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whats with this 3 month probation period, legally its 6 months is it not?

Anyone on less than 2 years service gets reduced rights. Anyone employed for a day gets the right to reasonable dismissal reasons. I think most companies would have a probation period of between 3 and 6 months, it’s kind of ‘traditional’ but has little meaning in law.
3 months is pretty much industry standard for us, we have once or twice got to the end of the 3 months and extended it a further 3 months. But this guy was the first not to manage to make it through the first 12 weeks. Looking back, some of the excuses for absence were absolute gems. I think if we’d kept him on for another month he’d have been reduced to repeating previous excuses or claiming alien abduction.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no i dont think its in a club just in some venue in the middle of a park in cologne

starts at 6pm, finishes at 8am...i'll be blind drunk by 10pm dancing with the horrified brides mom, standard ?‍♂️

Ah, I genuinely thought you meant the ceremony was going to start about 7:30am and the wedding would be over by 8am :lol:

I was thinking "I know the Germans are efficient, but wow".

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyone on less than 2 years service gets reduced rights. Anyone employed for a day gets the right to reasonable dismissal reasons. I think most companies would have a probation period of between 3 and 6 months, it’s kind of ‘traditional’ but has little meaning in law.
3 months is pretty much industry standard for us, we have once or twice got to the end of the 3 months and extended it a further 3 months. But this guy was the first not to manage to make it through the first 12 weeks. Looking back, some of the excuses for absence were absolute gems. I think if we’d kept him on for another month he’d have been reduced to repeating previous excuses or claiming alien abduction.

Reminds me of my mate who's excuse for not coming to the pub one of the nights was "The tortoise got out".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Reminds me of my mate who's excuse for not coming to the pub one of the nights was "The tortoise got out".

He missed out on the shell-ebrations. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I live near Blackheath too. I remember a few years ago when I broke my wrist, I was at the bus stop by the Three Diamonds waiting to go to Russell's Hall, and some proper scabby looking thing started chatting to me at the bus stop. She was probably mid-forties, scruffy hair, tanned to that point that she was leathery and she had a dress on that had cigarette burns on it. Irritatingly she was getting the bus too, so I couldn't even pretend I had somewhere to be. I vividly remember the opening lines of the conversation:

Scabby lady: "What have you done to your arm?"

Me: "I broke it playing football"

Scabby lady: "Ooo, you look too handsome to play football"

Me: ?.... 

I think she tried to carry on talking to me until the bus came. I quickly picked a single seat on the bus next to someone else to get away from her.

53 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

On drugs I reckon, she must have been hallucinating.

Maybe! I don't claim to be good looking, but it's not like football is only played by ugly people. I just thought it was a really odd thing to say. It was just any excuse for her to try to make a pass at me.

Â