AVFCLaura

General Chat

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Serves as a timely reminder to not have all your eggs in one basket

- Visa was down but Mastercard and Amex weren't, according to reports, so good to have an alternative payment card on you. 

- Always have a cash reserve - i'm guilty of not having this. 

- Never have all your money in one bank as if that bank suffers problems (TSB for example) then you aren't left with no other option. 

Unsure as to what impact it would have on Apple/Samsung/Android Pay as not familiar with those at all. 

200.gif

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Unsure as to what impact it would have on Apple/Samsung/Android Pay as not familiar with those at all. 

Google Pay is card based. I have prepay cards from Visa and MC registered with it.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm not one for health and safety overkill, but that seems like a really dangerous idea. 

I also don't get how they are always able to provide boiling water, surely it must take a lot of energy to keep it ready at that temperature.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I also don't get how they are always able to provide boiling water, surely it must take a lot of energy to keep it ready at that temperature.

I'm sure different models do different things, but the version we use boils a cup of water in about 15 / 20 seconds. But it boils a cup, not a kettle full, of which you then use a cup.

Oh, and it doesn't actually 'boil' the water, it gets it to 98 and stops. No spitting and bubbling and steaming and hissing that you can't actually drink anyway. I believe that 2 degree difference is a massive energy saving over 'boiling'.

I'm sure the blurb will tell you that only boiling what you actually use makes it super duper efficient.

If you've got the money to install one in the first place, then the running cost is much lower than a kettle.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

A calorie (cal) is the amount of energy required to heat 1g (= 1ml) of water by 1C.

There's about 300ml of water in a cup.

Mains water temperature is 1-20C; let's say 10C to make the calculation simple. We need to heat it by 90C

300x90= 27000 = 27kcal = about 4g of Tesco value milk chocolate.

There's no tank involved, it heats the water on demand.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, limpid said:

A calorie (cal) is the amount of energy required to heat 1g (= 1ml) of water by 1C.

There's about 300ml of water in a cup.

Mains water temperature is 1-20C; let's say 10C to make the calculation simple. We need to heat it by 90C

300x90= 27000 = 27kcal = about 4g of Tesco value milk chocolate.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, limpid said:

zip taps from 2/3 years back are capped but its crazy high, the one in our Wolverhampton office can "only" do 80 cups an hour, its not a tank but its not an unlimited tap either

I **** love VT. Detailed discussion about how a kettle boils water. 

Bloody love you guys. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I **** love VT. Detailed discussion about how a kettle boils water. 

Bloody love you guys. 

Anything's better than talking about the Villa. 

• Like 3

Is page 3 the lowest this thread has ever been? :o

Ms Hanoi and I were walking around the beautiful centre of Blackheath this evening, and found, outside the chippy, a woman sat on the pavement with her leggings round her knees. When she saw us, she bounded to her feet, or as best she could anyway, giving us the full moon on the way up :crylaugh: Honestly don't know whether she was on the pavement doing a number one, a number two, or if she just fancied Donald Duck-ing it for a bit. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 17:55, chrisp65 said:

Oh, and it doesn't actually 'boil' the water, it gets it to 98 and stops.

Won't be getting used by any of the tea purists then. Boiling water or GTFO for that lot

also 2 degrees too high for the perfect cup of coffee.

They compromised between 100 and 96 didn't they 🤣

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is page 3 the lowest this thread has ever been? :o

Ms Hanoi and I were walking around the beautiful centre of Blackheath this evening, and found, outside the chippy, a woman sat on the pavement with her leggings round her knees. When she saw us, she bounded to her feet, or as best she could anyway, giving us the full moon on the way up :crylaugh: Honestly don't know whether she was on the pavement doing a number one, a number two, or if she just fancied Donald Duck-ing it for a bit. 

Blackheath's only a 10 minute walk from me.

Which...which chip shop? 

*gets pen and paper*